Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2002 9:32:23 AM EDT
Attacked by mosquitos, that is. ;)

Seriously, I have a major problem on my hands.  We live near a lake in UT, a rather large and pestilent lake.  The area is teeming with mosquitos and it is nearly impossible to go out during the early morning or evening time.  At any other time, it is still a chore to fight them off.  Yesterday I was outside for 5 minutes riding around the property rather quickly on a bike with the dog following close by.  I was nailed about 5 times.  Twice on my knuckles!

We've tried bug zappers with mosquito bait, we use punks and spray to clear small areas like on the deck.  The city even does spraying from a truck on the street out front on occasion, although I doubt this really affects the large population in the back property.

They are coming in the house and nailing us all night long while we sleep!!!

If you don't understand how bad it sucks to wake up and have large swollen lumps on your butt and hands, I'll gladly let you camp in my backyard.

HELP!  I'm being eaten alive!

WHAT CAN I DO?
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Bats can really put a dent in the population. In the interim, I would suggest changing your blood chemistry to something less tasty. I eat a tremendous amount of garlic in my diet and I find that while other people are getting devoured, I am usually spared the misery. Guess they don't like italian food.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I would normally say..welcome to Florida. Not sure where you are located. BUT, I have found something that helps around my property..especially since it borders Florida wetlands...[b]MOSQUITO HELL!![/b]

Over the years we've used the citronelle lamps, aerosol sprays and different candles and burning incense. They don't work that effectively.

Just bought a heating type fog sprayer from Lowe's and it has worked awesome! It heats up the liquid insecticide and sprays a thick fog, which goes everywhere you spray it. It leaves a residual on fences, plants and the grass. I've tried different areas around my yard to spray.

I usually will fog close to the house and under trees, everywhere I can find "moist" ground. I even fog the outside air conditioning fan unit while it's running..it shoots the fog about 50 feet in the air and it drifts across my yard and roof.

There were 2 models to choose from, electric and propane gas. I got the electric one it was cheaper. They cost between $40-$60 w/ chemicals included. Now I can work outside or have barbecues in peace. There might be others on here who have a higher priced and more supreme model. Mine works fine. I'll try and get the manufactor name for you...

I would recommend that you get a fogger, and spray the dogpiss out of your back property everyday for a couple of weeks. I would wager that this would dessimate the mosquitos pretty good. It did mine...and I'm in [b]Florida![/b]

Hope that helps,
Mike
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#5]
An old Marine Master Sergeant gave me this piece of advice: Unscented Garlic Pills! That in conjunction with Avon skin so soft skin conditioner will leave you bug free forever. I swear by them. Spent a lot of time at MCB Camp Lejeune, where the mosquitos and chiggers thrive, and have had great luck with unscented garlic pills. Started taking them a month before I went down there and have been mosquito and chigger free for years. Besides, its good for the body.....
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the replies so far.  I REALLY am having a problem with this.  No joke!  I can't stop scratching these things and am going to end up with a lot of little infections.

As much as I would like pesticide solutions, ya know, kill 'em all, I really need to use something that is safe for the young one and for the dog that both play on the grass from time to time.  Pesticide is probably not too great of an idea.  

The first reply got me doing a little research on dragonflies.  I ended up finding a sight that advertised a rather expensive system that attracts mosquitos based on emission of CO2 and octenol.

Has anyone used this method?

I'd like to get dragonflies but I'm not sure if they would hang around the yard--no standing bodies of water to lay their eggs.  Not sure how to raise them nor where to get the eggs.

I wish I had a camera so I could post the dime sized red bump on my hand.  I look like I have the mumps.

:(
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I myself use the Fogger too and it works great.
But be careful if you have little kids and animals - don't expose them to the fog it can give them a sort of cancer. For myself when I fog (I am using the propane version) I wear a jumpsuit and a mask so I don't have to much contact with the chemicals.

One of my neighbors is using this new $500 mosquito traps. It seems to work great but they are very expensive and you have to find a good location for it because near the trap you have an extra high amount of mosquitoes.

Hope I could help.

Christian
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Will have to pick up some garlic pills on the way home.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#10]

I've seen those system, but man are they expensive. They will work, CO2 is how they find the mammals to bite.

Link Posted: 8/13/2002 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Try to attract bats to the area.  And dragonflies.  They both eat skeeters.  /quote]

There may be something to this, indeed. My property is situated across from a wetland area which includes a sizeable beaver pond. Surprisingly, mosquitos are a minor annoyance in the summertime.I was anticipating a much worse problem when I moved in a few years back. I do have a fair number of dragonflys cruising through the yard by day, and bats by night.

Maybe some mosquito netting over your sleeping area might be a guick solution until you can get those dragonflies zipping along.

Link Posted: 8/13/2002 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Ever hear of the West Nile virus?
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#14]
See if you can buy sulfur tablets. I use them before camping and they seem to keep fleas, ticks,no see ums,skeeters and all kind of varmits at bay. Check with your doctor for cautions.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't know what their range is, but Purple Martins eat a lot of insects. In the midwest, many people attract them to help with insect control.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#16]
The garlic pills may work, but then, how about the kid and dogs? I don't think that they will be willing to eat them on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Avon Skin so Soft is good

Major league industrial fogger.

Also try to find something that will kill larva.

Eliminate standing water (not the lake obviously) everywhere you can. Cut the grass short each week.

Bug zappers and citronellas may not help but keep em going all the time....

do you have Air Conditioning and keep the windows closed?

In Texas, this is a way of life. I don't swim much after dark in my pool, and we close the doors very quickly when we go in and out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't know what their range is, but Purple Martins eat a lot of insects. In the midwest, many people attract them to help with insect control.
View Quote

OK, I've seen several recommendations for this now so could someone please tell us how its done?

Jake
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Purple martins are great, but won't help you much short term. It'll take at least a year or more to get them in - but do it anyway. You'll need to put up some gourds or martin houses. If you are close to a pond or lake, put 'em about half way in between.  The gourds or houses need to be at least 12 ft above ground level and suspended from or place on slick metal poles so varmints can't get the young. Do a Google search for purple martins and you'll get a lot more and better info than I can give. I can tell you for a fact that they work. They are also pretty neat to watch.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would normally say..welcome to Florida. Not sure where you are located. BUT, I have found something that helps around my property..especially since it borders Florida wetlands...[b]MOSQUITO HELL!![/b]

Hope that helps,
Mike
View Quote

Mike,

What county do you live in? I am thinking about moving to FL and am looking for some advice.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Here on the Alabama Gulf coast we have lots of water and lots of skeeter's (think Florida, only one county to the west).  
We are given all the normal suggestions...drain all standing water, empty birdbaths, keep grass cut short (where there is grass instead of sand!), etc., etc. ad nauseum.
Due to the increase in West Nile Virus cases, the county health dept. is now paying crop dusters to spray the more remote inlets, sloughs and batte's.
Best thing I've found so far is a a diet high in hot peppers and good old avon Skin So Soft and to limit your exposure if possible at the peak times (early morn and dusk).
Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Ditto on GARLIC, BATS, and MARTINS (of course, the bats and martins are a longer term solution).

ALSO, it has been proven that MOLASSES in your diet will also repel mosquitos.

The best repellent you can apply to skin is 100% DEET.  You can get it anywhere.

Here's some other facts:  Only the female mosquitos bite.  Mosquitos also only fly approximately 40 yards from their birthplace during their life...therefore if you can knock out the eggs and dormant water sources, you're in good shape (tough to do, though).  Mosquitos are drawn to carbon dioxide, so the more you are sweating and breathing the more they are attracted.  Some people put a block of dry ice directly under their bug zappers to attract them further (stupid waste of money IMHO).
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Buy a bunch of shop vacs and put them all over your property, and turn them on.  Of course you might need hearing protection.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Attacked by mosquitos, that is. ;)

They are coming in the house and nailing us all night long while we sleep!!!

If you don't understand how bad it sucks to wake up and have large swollen lumps on your butt and hands, I'll gladly let you camp in my backyard.

HELP!  I'm being eaten alive!

WHAT CAN I DO?
View Quote

In the dead of night, when it is over cast with no moonlight, pour a barrel of oil on the damned lake. Then get rid of long grass, any standing water, and sleep under mosquito netting. Wear pajamas instead of having your bare behind sticking out. Your neighbors probably don't like the sight of that either.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Goet, check your IM.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In the dead of night, when it is over cast with no moonlight, pour a barrel of oil on the damned lake.
Bill
View Quote

Around here people used to spray Diesel fuel on to the marshes and that worked. Don't think the EPA would like that, but hey what is more important, people or a bunch of damn mosquitoes? [;)]

edited to add that Skin so Soft works for both the skeeters and green heads
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#27]
what to do for mosquitos.........

>Subject: ....what to do for mosquitos.........not a joke (but it's more to eradicate the mosquitoes rather than to do something for them, if you get my drift...)>>>Mosquitoes .......do you like them?>>Pass this on to anyone who likes being out in the evening or is having a cookout, for those who like to enjoy the outdoors, but don't like those pesky mosquitoes. It was given at a gardening forum:>>Put some water in a white dinner plate and>add just a couple of drops of Lemon Fresh Joy dishwashing soap.>Set the dish on a porch or patio. Not sure what attracts them, the>lemon smell, the white color, or what, but mosquitoes flock to it,>and drop dead, or fall into the water, or on the floor within>about 10 ft.>>Works just super!>Enjoy the mosquito-free summer!!!!  
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 2:30:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I always have good luck by spraying my lawn with Malathion(?) from the garden store. Seems to keep them completly away. I also sprinkle the foundation of the house with the bug repelent pellets(can't think of name, but they stink)

Later

IAJack
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Guys, all these responses are awesome.  

I've got my research cut out for me.
I'll also experiment with some of the other more accesible remedies today, like the dinner plate.
Going to the store soon for the rest

Thanks a lot.

I'm really interested in octenol.  Has anyone experimented with this?  It is a type of fly attractant.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#30]
A few weeks ago when the mosquitos were more of a concern than the yellowjackets, I was also searching for some ideas. If you have bodies of water, make sure that you put in one of several types of mosquito eating fish. Also I was told, although I was never able to find any, that there is a product that you put in ponds that releas a chemical that prevents the mosquito larvae from maturing. Might be called mosquito donuts or something like that.

Does anyone know where I can buy Knox-out  2FM?

Link Posted: 8/13/2002 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#31]
are there any critters you could stock the pond with that would eat the skeeter worms?
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Axel and Agtm added the only thing I was going to add to this discourse - mosquito fish.

Lots of good advice here, but, as has been pointed out, mosquitos live a short lifespan and don't travel far. Get 'em where they breed. Eliminate stagnant water where you can and introduce natural enemies in that lake. With that West Nile virus going around, depending on where you live the city may help you out with this. It is, after all, a public health as well as a nuisance issue.

West Nile virus? Suddenly the Malaria we worry about here seems less threatening!

Link Posted: 8/13/2002 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#33]
In this day and age of West Nile virus (and it is spreading) protection is important.  I do not jest, Avon Skin So Soft works, and works well.  Also, Deep Woods Off (green label).  

But now, with West Nile, do not hesitate to use DEET repellants.

Long sleeves and pants is also a good idea.

Apply repellants not only to arms, backs of hands, but also back of neck, cheeks, and EARS.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#35]
DEET DEET DEET DEET DEET DAAH DAAH DAAH DAAH DUMM DUMM.  Mosquitoes death song,best sung by Martins,with the help of chemicals.

Bob  [8D]
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#36]
My wife and I both take 500 mg. of vitamin B-1 every day. Neither of us have been bitten in years.  They buzz around us but decide we smell bad to them so they don't bite.  It really works.

marsh
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 11:31:42 PM EDT
[#37]
A link to the Purple Martin Conservation page.

[url]http://www.purplemartin.org/main/mgt.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 12:29:17 AM EDT
[#38]
There is a town in ILL that is the Purple Martin capital. They use them for insect control.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#39]
don't eat a banana before going outside. the potassium attracts them i believe.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Odd that people have had so much luck with Avon SSS. In my experience, the stuff seems to *attract* bugs... The best bug-spray I ever used came from Gander Mountain, I picked it out based on maximum DEET content (more = better)...

Took it canoe-camping in the Minnesota boundary waters, and had very little bug trouble (although others in my party got bitten to pieces, as a result of using spritz-on spray or not spraying various areas)..

As for the dog, ask your vet... We don't have too many bugs at home in WI (although I seem to like to take camping trips to prime mosquito country), but they can transmit some very bad-news dog diseases (heartworm, et al)... Our dogs don't have much trouble, but we don't have many bugs this year....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top