Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2003 1:46:08 AM EDT
I found this in a box of old bullets at a garage sale. Looks to be a .38 short but, it has a lathe cut 'ring' around the primer which removed all but the very edges of the lettering. There appears to be either green laquer or heat discoloration from the cutter in the ring.

Proof Round maybe [b]??????[/b]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=3436[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=3437[/img]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:54:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Im not sure about the round, but my wife is a palm reader, and she says you have a nice long lifeline, but you are do for a drastic change in your 60's [:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:29:03 AM EDT
[#2]
R-32

You're a nut [:)]

Thanks for the laugh!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:10:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a .38 S&W
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:15:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Agree with GGWIG.

I thought at first it might be a .38 Short Colt, but a quick reference check revealed that round used an outside lubricated bullet.

The groove is puzzling.  I’ve seen shallower grooves like that in certain rifle cartridges designed to allow use of pointed bullets in a certain type of tubular magazine (the bullet point rode in the groove of the round in front of it), but that makes no sense here.

The cut looks too deep to be intended just to obliterate the headstamp.

If don’t get an answer here and you really want to know, you might try [url]www.cartridgecollectors.org/[/url].  They have a forum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top