Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/5/2006 12:51:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2006 12:58:49 PM EDT by Krackels]
I was gettin tired of the trial version of NIS so I uninstalled it and installed ZoneAlarm. From what I could tell it worked great. A little too great. It blocked ALL communication to and from my computer including the router.

Is there a simple way to configure this ala NIS . . . suchandsuch program is attempting to connect to soandso on port number. . . and give me options of what I want it to do.

I'm using Avast! for my anti-virus and I would like another reliable and free/low cost solution for a firewall.

To clarify why I want ZoneAlarm on my computer. I would like the added benefit of a software firewall for hotspots. I know both routers (one is a gateway) will filter most hack attempts and such.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:53:21 PM EDT

Usually ZoneAlarm default install works well, especially if you answer the question about 'pre-configuring' for internet access.

You might need to look at your local network IP addresses, and add that range to the 'Trusted Zone'. Open Zone Alarm, click on the Firewall tab on the left, then click on the Zones tab at the top of that window.

Your router should be in the Trusted zone, I think. If not, add it. If you have other computers on the network, you can add them individually--or as a group by using an IP range.

You'll want to check your router's IP address to make sure you put the right IP address in ZoneAlarm.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:01:03 PM EDT
sounds like it could have corrupted your winsock files. uninstall it seee if it fixes your web problems. if not tell us what OS you are runing and we will attempt to help

once your internet is working leave it uninstalled(thats my advice). software firewalls are more problematic than anything.

oh and another thing never put NIS back on your computer. its notorious for the same problems. avast is a decent alternative. if you like it i would suggest purchasing it to help support the Company
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:32:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2006 1:32:48 AM EDT by KS_Physicist]
I've used ZoneAlarm (free version) for years on several Windows versions and have never had anything but the most trivial setup problem.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:56:10 AM EDT
im just stating my experience thats all. I have been on numerous service calls where they can't get on the internet. it was as simple as closing zonelarm, NIS, mcafee personal firewall and the problem was resolved.

JME (just my experience)
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:26:03 PM EDT
I'll worry about it later. I"m completely comfortable relying on the router while I'm at home. Does Avast! offer firewall solutions?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:17:44 PM EDT
i didn't see any firewall products on their page.

if you want a software firewall. I would HIGLY recomend the kaspersky firewall. Its the only firewall i would actually use. I also tried my-etrusts firewall. it was decent
Top Top