Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/16/2004 6:53:23 AM EST
Everyone,

My Wife has just told me that she had a conversation with one of her friends and is now wondering "What is so bad about letting our 15 year old get her belly button pierced?"

I am against it, but need as much ammo from all of you to counter the influence of her friend.

Send advice Please..

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:54:04 AM EST
She will automatically turn into a slut!! Tell her NO
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:54:47 AM EST

Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:

Um, ok. Please tell me youre joking.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:54:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By ktm500:
Everyone,

My Wife has just told me that she had a conversation with one of her friends and is now wondering "What is so bad about letting our 15 year old get her belly button pierced?"

I am against it, but need as much ammo from all of you to counter the influence of her friend.

Send advice Please..

ktm500

You are the Father and Husband, therefore the head of the household.

You need no more ammo than that, period!

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:54:50 AM EST
you're her father, you shouldnt need a reason besides saying so.............................
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:55:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 6:57:04 AM EST by Hokie]

My wife has one, are you calling my wife a slut? Let's hope not.

Furthermore, until the kid is 18, she's under your umbrella, parent accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:55:42 AM EST
damn you arowner....................beat me by ONE SECOND!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:58:10 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:58:50 AM EST
AFAIK- Getting your belly pierced is one of the worst areas to develope an infection. They take forever to heal.

But as pointed out: as the head of the household- you have plenty of ammo.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:59:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 7:00:12 AM EST by mtechgunman]

Everyone,

Send advice Please..

ktm500

If you are against it, then tell her she has to wait until she is on her own, or 18, to do it.

My father did the same thing to me (with other things of course) and boy am i glad i listened and OBEYED.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:00:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 7:01:29 AM EST by GodBlessTexas]

Originally Posted By arowneragain:
You are the Father and Husband, therefore the head of the household.

You need no more ammo than that, period!

+1.

Beyond that, I've had my tongue, septum and other areas pierced over the last 10 years. There's a lot that can go wrong in a piercing, and most places that do the job well absolutely will not perform the procedures on anyone under the age of 18 even with parental consent. I'd be suspect of the insurance coverage of any place that will. You have to worry about Hepatitis B and C, HIV, and any other number of blood borne diseases if the facilities aren't well maintained and sterile.

And again, as someone who has been pierced, putting extra holes in your body is a really stupid thing to do.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:01:11 AM EST
Are her ears pierced?

If so, my opinion is that the horse is already out of the barn.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:03:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By Hoppy:
Are her ears pierced?

wtf? Pierced ears = opening the door to piercing everthing?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:05:30 AM EST
When did ARFCOM go Amish?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:06:04 AM EST
EARS ONLY!! HELL NO ON NAVEL!!!! SHE CAN DO THAT SHIT WHEN SHE GETS THE FUCK OUT OF THE HOUSE AT 18.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:07:31 AM EST
Gawd damn man, go to the kitchen drawer and grab a set o' balls......
Geeeezzzzzz!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:08:13 AM EST
NO BELLYBUTTON RINGS FOR ANYONE UNDER 18!!

SLUT ALERT...SLUT ALERT !!!!!!!!!

DO NOT LET HER DO IT!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:08:16 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:08:36 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 7:13:29 AM EST by scrum]
1. Your wife's friend must be a real peach.
2. Belly button piercings are at serious risk of infection to the lower digestive system
3. They scar the area permanently, and IMO look ugly
4. On a pure "coolness" standpoint: You'd be allowing your daughter to join the END of a stupid trend - nothing worse from a style standpoint that being a late joiner of a dumb fad.

Let's not get into the multiple piercings, S&M history, or sluttiness of the issue - People on the fad train forget about these issues (Like guys who wear earrings or gang-wear). A uniform is a uniform. If I dress in a police uniform, people will generally assume I am a cop. In a military uniform, a soldier. in a suit like a business man, people will assume I am a businessman. If I dress like a gang member or a prostitute or a slut, then ...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:08:53 AM EST

Everyone,

Send advice Please..

ktm500

You don't need ammo for this.
Stop being put on the defensive.
Switch it around. It's the game women play ALL the time. It's why they win arguments. Learned it from my mother, sister, grandma, girl friends, friends wives, friends that happen to be girls, etc.

Make her tell you why she needs to have it.
Is there a good reason why she needs to have it?

See? Then you can shoot down every single statement and it doesn't matter. She is on the defensive and you don't have to think up anything.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:08:55 AM EST
Ear piercing is a gateway piercing.

Your "problem" seems to be with your wife and not your daughter (at this point in time).

Originally Posted By Gloftoe:

Are her ears pierced?

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:09:37 AM EST
A belly button ring won't automatically mean she's a slut.

(whether or not she smokes - well, that's another situation all together)
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:10:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By Hokie:

I've got a 10 gauge retainer bar through my septum as I type this. How Amish is that?

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:11:08 AM EST
I wonder what this girls parents think.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:11:38 AM EST
If you think the belly button piercing is the worst thing that you are worried about then you need to open your eyes a little more. Stop focusing on the piercing and start asking yourself why your 15 year old wants to attract attention to her navel. Obviously she will have to wear a belly shirt to go with it. So the real question is why is your 15 year old wanting to dress in a sexual manner? Do you think just telling her "NO" is going to change whatever idea, pressure, or reason that she wants to be sexual? If anything it will only serve to push her further away. I strongly suggest you start talking to her like an adult and asking her "why" she wants to do this, instead of just responding by trying to control her outward appearance.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:12:19 AM EST
I realized that I left out that I am her Stepfather. Also, the ammo that I am after is not to show her why she is not allowed, it is to show my Wife that negative aspects. That way my wife and I wont be at odds.

What would be really helpfull is any news articles or similar things supporting health and social downsides.

Where my wife appears to be weakening is when she said "I am just wondering why we are so against it, it doesn't show etc..." I then said that that argument worked both ways. Why get a decoration if you dont intend on showing it off. If she just wants to get one and promise that she will not show anybody, then we can save the money by just not getting it but telling her friends that she did. Also, thias to me seems like a way in which our daughter would be signifying that she caves to peer pressure.

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:12:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By drache:
You don't need ammo for this.
Stop being put on the defensive.
Switch it around. It's the game women play ALL the time. It's why they win arguments. Learned it from my mother, sister, grandma, girl friends, friends wives, friends that happen to be girls, etc.

Make her tell you why she needs to have it.
Is there a good reason why she needs to have it?

See? Then you can shoot down every single statement and it doesn't matter. She is on the defensive and you don't have to think up anything.

+1
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:13:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By GodBlessTexas:

I've got a 10 gauge retainer bar through my septum as I type this. How Amish is that?

That's definately NOT Amish! Can't, won't, and don't want to even discuss septum piercings, period!

But EagleArmsHBAR thinks you're a slut.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:14:52 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:21:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By SWIRE:
If you think the belly button piercing is the worst thing that you are worried about then you need to open your eyes a little more. Stop focusing on the piercing and start asking yourself why your 15 year old wants to attract attention to her navel. Obviously she will have to wear a belly shirt to go with it. So the real question is why is your 15 year old wanting to dress in a sexual manner? Do you think just telling her "NO" is going to change whatever idea, pressure, or reason that she wants to be sexual? If anything it will only serve to push her further away. I strongly suggest you start talking to her like an adult and asking her "why" she wants to do this, instead of just responding by trying to control her outward appearance.

Already thought of this. She seems to be overly concerned with her friends opinions. One past issue was a skirt that she wanted to wear to school when she was 11 (it was way to small to wear anywhere nevermind school). We said no, she was upset. Her quote "My friends wear these, I have to wear it!"

Unfortunately, she seems to be very extroverted. If she does not have a friend over the house, she is talking to them on the phone. If she is not with or on the phone with her friends she is writing to them or reading notes from them. Everyting centers around her friends instead of herself.

She wants the belly button ring because some of her friends have them.

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:22:29 AM EST
Do you mind if she walks around with her belly showing? 'Cause if she pierces it, she's gonna want to show it off.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:23:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By Older_Crow:
Gawd damn man, go to the kitchen drawer and grab a set o' balls......
Geeeezzzzzz!

Hey, I already told her no. I am just trying to get some info to better inform the wife.

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:23:58 AM EST
TBK... Septum is the center part of your nose.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:26:21 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:27:55 AM EST
Well, you never know, people get that pierced too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:28:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By Persephone:
Do you mind if she walks around with her belly showing? 'Cause if she pierces it, she's gonna want to show it off.

She tried the defence that she wont show anyone. I called her bluff when I told her then that she still could not get it but could just tell her friends that she did.

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:28:30 AM EST

Are her ears pierced?

WTF? You mean punching holes in your flesh with the express purpose of adorning yourself with shiny baubles is socially accepted on certain parts of the body and not others? And that a persons age in some way determines which part?

Interesting.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:31:39 AM EST
I had a friend with one. She had to take antibiotics and penicillan shots for the infection. It eventually tore out. Hopefully you have good health insurance. If not, good life insurance.

How individual does a chick think she is when every one else has the same fishing tackle hanging out of their lint collector?

If she has her own money to pay for it, then you won't need to pay for her college. She can pay for it. It is all about establishing priorities.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:31:45 AM EST

Are her ears pierced?

WTF? You mean punching holes in your flesh with the express purpose of adorning yourself with shiny baubles is socially accepted on certain parts of the body and not others? And that a persons age in some way determines which part?

Interesting.

Think about that. Imagine yourself as a 17 year old guy looking at a group of 15 year olds girls. All equally attractive, all with pierced ears, but one showing off a belly ring. Now, using that determmine which is likely to put out.

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:34:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By SWIRE:

Dude,

That was like Yoda wise.

- Gazzy!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:37:21 AM EST
When I first said no to the belly ring, one of my points was that it is a sign to the guys that a girl is easier that the others. She said.. "You dont know. Guys are not like that today.".

I went to high school in the 80's and I am sure guys are worse today.

Does anyone know of proof that guys see the belly ring in a young girl as a sign of a slut?

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:37:41 AM EST
A belly ring won't "make" her a slut, but it will sure make her look like one.
When I see them, I say to myself "That chick wants to F@ck!"
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:40:00 AM EST

Are her ears pierced?

Interesting.

Think about that. Imagine yourself as a 17 year old guy looking at a group of 15 year olds girls. All equally attractive, all with pierced ears, but one showing off a belly ring. Now, using that determmine which is likely to put out.

ktm500

You're not seriously going to go to the wife with that arguement, are ya?

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:40:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By TacticalMan:
A belly ring won't "make" her a slut, but it will sure make her look like one.
When I see them, I say to myself "That chick wants to F@ck!"

exactly what I want to avoid.

She says"guys today dont think that way". I wonder if she is that clueless or just wants to believe it.

ktm500

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:41:32 AM EST

When I first said no to the belly ring, one of my points was that it is a sign to the guys that a girl is easier that the others. She said.. "You dont know. Guys are not like that today.".

Does anyone know of proof that guys see the belly ring in a young girl as a sign of a slut?

ktm500

Well, I know I do.
Can't say whether it's a widely accepted belief or not, but every guy I'm friends with thinks the same thing.
Of course, you're just going to ge tthe same "Guys today don't think that" crap.
Remind her that she's a 15 year old girl and as such has no friggin clue what GUYS think. She only knows what guys SAY. As we all remember from high school and college, there's a HUGE difference.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:43:45 AM EST

Are her ears pierced?

Interesting.

ktm500

You're not seriously going to go to the wife with that arguement, are ya?

No need. I am looking for better arguments here.

ktm500

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:46:25 AM EST
My sister talked about getting one for awhile, but after talking with friend who had to have hers re-pearced twice ( a somewhat painful expierience) she decided against it. On the other hand, I never thought of them as slutty, just kinda cute, but I cant say that I speak for all the other guys out their
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:47:16 AM EST

My wife has one, are you calling my wife a slut? Let's hope not.

Furthermore, until the kid is 18, she's under your umbrella, parent accordingly.

I have nothing against adults having them.

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:48:01 AM EST

ktm500

I do.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:50:30 AM EST
Teen rebellion is a bitch .... You're pretty much damned if you do, damned if you don't. if you take the stance of "No you can't get one, people will think you're a slut/guys will think you're easy if you have one." It could easily drive her TO that kind of behavior rather than away from it.

Fact is she's already made up her mind that she wants one and it's the cool thing to do. She's at the age where her friends are very important to her and she wants to do things that make her feel more grown up. You probably don't want her doing anything TOO grown up, so there may be wisdom in allowing her a minor token of rebellion so that she doesn't go behind your back and do something more major ... Something that can't be seen.

Kids need to start making and learning from their mistakes at some point ... as much as you want to protect them from the evils of the world, sometimes the best way to do it may be by not taking the role of the tyrant and being someone they feel is "On their side" sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:50:31 AM EST
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top