Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/23/2012 11:25:01 AM EDT
I filled out the background paperwork the same as I have for the two dozen other firearms I have purchased in the past and received a delay and was told that they will call me as soon as it cleared. I am totaly clean  and do not understand what the problem could be. The guy behind the counter was the first that made me scratch out and initial every section that I wrote N/A, and made me do the same to my social security #. I asked him if it would be ok for my wife to purchase it instead and he told me that she could purchase any firearm except the one I wanted. Anyone every experience this before or know what the problem could be?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#1]
The system is overwhelmed. Lots of delays today.

ETA: Also, next time you get delayed, don't waste your time asking if it's ok for your wife to buy it for you. The answer will always be no.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Enjoy your stay in Guantanamo Bay.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I had my first delay on a pistol I picked up two weeks ago, granted the delay was only an hour, but I was still wondering why.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I filled out the background paperwork the same as I have for the two dozen other firearms I have purchased in the past and received a delay and was told that they will call me as soon as it cleared. I am totaly clean  and do not understand what the problem could be. The guy behind the counter was the first that made me scratch out and initial every section that I wrote N/A, and made me do the same to my social security #. I asked him if it would be ok for my wife to purchase it instead and he told me that she could purchase any firearm except the one I wanted. Anyone every experience this before or know what the problem could be?

Use your CHL next time.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Suspicion of amassing an arsenal?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Stop being a criminal

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, show ccw, fill out 4473 and leave with firearm. No NICS required.

It's just the system is over burdened. Only so many employees and such to run all the checks. They will catch them up when they can.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:35:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Can you imagine the govt wonks on the other end of the NICS line today? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! MAKE IT STOP! SOMEONE PULL THE PLUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#9]
NICS is having problems today.  The computer had to be rebooted earlier.

The latest I heard is that "Due to the high
volume of incoming NICS Background Checks, the NICS Section will not be
taking Customer Service related calls today.  Once a transaction is
completed we have a designated group to call  the FFL with a final
status. "

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I get delayed about half the time on my transfers . Im used to it . Usually I only have to wait a few hours and Im GTG , but I know if I bought anything lately Id be waiting for the three days .

It sucks , but whataya gonna do

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#11]
A concealed weapon permit should be your next gun related purchase.  I didn't know that a permit basically per approves you until my Dad and I went to buy shotguns on Monday for this turkey shoot we do every year.  We didn't know if we would have to put our own under our own names but in Idaho I guess it doesn't matter so I showed them my CCW and it made the purchase go quick.

How often do they do checks?  If you don't have a CCW would you have to wait 1 out 5 times or is it really completely random?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#12]

"A right delayed is a right denied."

- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#13]
If I buy a 1911 I get the delay BS everytime. Buy any other gun and no delay.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Why are you being a terrorist?

Stop being a terrorist.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's just the system is over burdened. Only so many employees and such to run all the checks. They will catch them up when they can.

Isn't the check still required regardless of the CCW?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Academy just called and I have been cleared. Thnks for letting me know this is not all that uncommon. BTW, I do have a CCW and in Louisiana we still have fill out all the paper work.. For now
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#17]
There's an asshole out there with your same name. Failing to provide your ss# prevents them from immediately determining that you are not that asshole.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Word. I walked into a VERY busy black friday gun sale at 5AM this morning. While others were being told that they were looking at a 20 minute NICS check wait time... I was waltzing out of the store with my new toy.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I read somewhere that today the NICS is being hit with over 500 transactions per minute.

Anyone got any ideas why so many gun purchases are taking place?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know about other states, but it is in Washington.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I always get delayed. Sucks having the same name as the proceeding seven generations.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In Texas at least, no. You still have to fill out the 4473, but there is a spot to put your CHL info, and the FFL doesn't have to call NICS.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can you imagine the govt wonks on the other end of the NICS line today? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! MAKE IT STOP! SOMEONE PULL THE PLUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The stacks of boxes with guns in them that I saw leaving the store this morning were unreal. All I could think was "man, Obama's a HELLUVA gun salesman".

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I always get delayed. Sucks having the same name as the proceeding seven generations.  

Wow, you must be really, really old.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

In Texas at least, no. You still have to fill out the 4473, but there is a spot to put your CHL info, and the FFL doesn't have to call NICS.

Same in MT.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Academy just called and I have been cleared. Thnks for letting me know this is not all that uncommon. BTW, I do have a CCW and in Louisiana we still have fill out all the paper work.. For now

I believe that EVERYONE has to fill-out the Form 4473. CWP holders in many states just don't have to wait for the FFL to call in your info.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's where I'm at.

However, I just looked it up,

Concealed pistol license issued on or after July 22, 2011 qualify.

So here in WA I will qualify if my license is issued on or after the date above. Though mine isn't. Wonder if I can get a new replacement?

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I was delayed 24 hours once.  It happens for many reasons but is nothing to be concerned about.  It is a pain in the backside to make two trips though.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Be glad you can get through.  I keep hearing "We're sorry, all circuits are busy, please try back later" and then I get cut off.  Got one through this morning, nothing since lunch.

I read on another site that NICS got overwhelmed, went down, and won't be back up until Sunday.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Why are you being a terrorist?

Stop being a terrorist.

seems so simple doesnt it?

but some people have such a hard time with this, like the OP
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Be glad you can get through.  I keep hearing "We're sorry, all circuits are busy, please try back later" and then I get cut off.  Got one through this morning, nothing since lunch.

I read on another site that NICS got overwhelmed, went down, and won't be back up until Sunday.

The system is still down, they will call again to let me know when I can go pick it up. They will hold  it for me being I'm cleared. All this for a$99 rough rider. LOL
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#32]
my LGS had to wait 10 minutes today for mine to go through today

very busy day for thr instant check system
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#33]
The last two emails I received from the NICS liaison desk are:

"The high call volume overloaded the system at 11am, which is probably
due to the west coast coming on board (time zone). The system is
operating. The call centers are taking calls. The volume is higher than
last Black Friday."

And

"No new updates only
that the system is up and running but it is VERY busy.  Keep trying to
call."
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#34]
seems to be easing somewhat

we are getting through after only 10-12 attempts now instead of 20-40

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's where I'm at.

So here in WA I will qualify if my license is issued on or after the date above. Though mine isn't. Wonder if I can get a new replacement?

Saweeeeeeet.... I just got mine renewed two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's where I'm at.

Excellent, I didn't know that.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Use your CHL next time.

I wish we could use our CHL in Ohio

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

A concealed weapon permit should be your next gun related purchase.  I didn't know that a permit basically per approves you until my Dad and I went to buy shotguns on Monday for this turkey shoot we do every year.  We didn't know if we would have to put our own under our own names but in Idaho I guess it doesn't matter so I showed them my CCW and it made the purchase go quick.

How often do they do checks?  If you don't have a CCW would you have to wait 1 out 5 times or is it really completely random?

i have bought plenty of guns since the background check and have never been delayed at all

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you fill out the 4473, the clerk fills out there part and there is a box they check, number 23 which states.  

"No nics check was required because the buyer has a valid permit from the state where the transfer is to take place..blah, blah."

Just like if you are picking up your NFA item, they check box 22 or something.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Whew, just made it through.  I think we're going to change our hours for transfers from 0700 to 1100, and 2000 to 0000.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I filled out the background paperwork the same as I have for the two dozen other firearms I have purchased in the past this week and received a delay and was told that they will call me as soon as it cleared. I am totaly clean  and do not understand what the problem could be. The guy behind the counter was the first that made me scratch out and initial every section that I wrote N/A, and made me do the same to my social security #. I asked him if it would be ok for my wife to purchase it instead and he told me that she could purchase any firearm except the one I wanted. Anyone every experience this before or know what the problem could be?

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#42]
I was in my local fun shop this morning and the NICS was so overloaded that they were just telling everybody to put their guns on layaway and come back later once the system caught up.  There were some folks there that had been waiting nearly an hour to get their OK.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you fill out the 4473, the clerk fills out there part and there is a box they check, number 23 which states.  

"No nics check was required because the buyer has a valid permit from the state where the transfer is to take place..blah, blah."

It depends on the state. You aren't calling NICS––you are calling your state agency responsible for running NICS. In Florida, that is a division of FDLE. And a CWP does not exempt Floridians from the check––it just exempts us from wait.

Every state has different rules and methods of enforcing the Brady Bill.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I was in my local fun shop this morning and the NICS was so overloaded that they were just telling everybody to put their guns on layaway and come back later once the system caught up.  There were some folks there that had been waiting nearly an hour to get their OK.  

There's been a few times that I've had to wait an hour or so, and it wasn't Black Friday, just before opening day of deer season, Obama just got elected day, or any other high volume day.  Sometimes the system just decides I need to stand by the gun counter and wait for an hour.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It depends on the state. You aren't calling NICS––you are calling your state agency responsible for running NICS. In Florida, that is a division of FDLE. And a CWP does not exempt Floridians from the check––it just exempts us from wait.

Every state has different rules and methods of enforcing the Brady Bill.

The difference is whether or not the feds consider the state's permit process to be strict enough to be equal to their background check.

Tennessee's permit does not exempt us from the NICS, because the feds said our renewal interval was too long.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#46]
It just happens. Since you've bought lots of guns there is probably no problem.

The delay will turn into a proceed. Don't worry about it. There isn't anything you can do.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Use your CHL next time.

You all need licenses to conceal carry -
Sorry - I will be nice now......

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Use your CHL next time.

Visit my state without a permit, and you're getting a felony conviction. My permit allows me to carry in nearly every state that allows CCW.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's back up
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Use your CHL next time.

Visit my state without a permit, and you're getting a felony conviction. My permit allows me to carry in nearly every state that allows CCW.
Well, since I am not going to visit Florida.........

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top