Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck. If he’s reasonable you may have good luck, but if he’s not you are fucked no matter what you do.

I just got into it with a (used to be) great neighbor/friend behind me that has an adult daughter that brings over a yapping dog that won’t quit barking early in the morning non stop. All the neighbors hate it. I finally texted him asking if we could talk about it and he went off on me. We haven’t talked since and that was Thanksgiving. All over him not being s man and talking to me over it.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If thats all you got I'd let it go. Probably not even technically your property, probably city
View Quote

I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I own the property. The city has a utility easement.
View Quote
That completely changes it.  If you own the property that your neighbor is dumping shit on, it's part of your property description on your deed, I would let your neighbor know that, once.  I would explain that it is in fact your land and not the city's, in case he is confused about that, and that the behavior should stop.

If it happens again, start documenting it with pictures.  Maybe put a security camera on your house pointing at the curb, so you have video evidence as well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you have a dog?  If so collect a months worth of dog shit, put in a paper bag and leave it on his porch.  your call if you light it on fire or not.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If thats all you got I'd let it go. Probably not even technically your property, probably city
View Quote
Yep, that strip is property of the city.
You just get the privilege of maintaining it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Our neighborhood has the same trash pick up system.  Yard waste if properly cut ( <4ft ) and stacked picked up on Wednesday. Larger, or just thrown around monthly. Or you can fit it into the city provided wheeled trashcan and they will take it on trash days.

I had the same issue with my neighbor , and mentioned it. Second time I placed it 5 feet away in her yard, and mentioned it.

Third time, I should mention here that I have 2 dogs and live where you have to bag your dogs droppings if dropped other than in your  yard; I moved the trash to where it belonged. I should also mention that I keep a flower pot nearby so I  can drop the bags of dog droppings from the week and not have the smell near my house.

Some how the thirty or so bags of dog poop wound up emptied into the pile of trash in question. I have not yet have had any further problems. That pile waited for almost a month for the claw truck to come by, and it killed the neighbors grass btw.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just politely ask him not to dump it on your property. Because it’s killing the grass.
View Quote

this is the normal neighbor thing
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You say they seem neighborly.  They bring you cookies and such, right?  How about go ring his doorbell.  Say--hey, I have a question for you.  Come take a look with me.

Walk him over to the brush pile.

Say: Here is my question.  I'm wondering WHY you put your brush and clippings HERE instead of over HERE, on YOUR property.

Then listen to what he says.

Presumably he will explain his logic.

If his answer is "Because I think it looks better on the city easement in front of YOUR yard..." then you have your answer, and all pretense of neighborliness can be discarded, and you can proceed accordingly.

But his answer might surprise you.  Hey--it might.
View Quote

I was going to post something very similar to this. I would ask him why he puts it in that spot and see what he says. Chances are he won't have much of an answer. I would then say "Now, 'Ed', from now on, please keep your yard waste on your own property, ok?" and then wait for him to agree. Don't make any threats or seem angry or anything like that.

Are you certain that the neighbor is putting it there, and not some yard service he hires?

Can you catch him in the act and say "no, no, no, keep that shit on your property"?

ETA: or put one of these, facing his property:
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Pay a landscaping crew to dump a load of debris in his driveway, then smoke a cigar while sitting in a chair on your lawn and laugh at him while he cleans it up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sorry Hank Hill, but this is a chance to work on your coping skills.

https://www.centraltrack.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/hankhill.jpg
View Quote

"I'M GONNA KICK YOUR ASS!"
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:11:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Put in a flower bed or some landscaping there.  Plant a bush maybe.

I also note his grass is greener than yours so the pile of yard waste fits in better.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Start by asking them nicely to not put their yard waste on your property.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Plant some shrubs and such in that area.
View Quote

Or corn.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The homeowner is typically responsible for maintaining the easement. We have to mow our ditches, the city does not do it.
View Quote
That's because it's your property. An easement (servitude, right-of-way) is simply the granting of certain usage rights to another person/company/public body. In most jurisdictions the strip of land belongs to the lot owner, and the city has the right to install a sidewalk (and maybe widen the street).

It's not hard to get a copy of your subdivision plat and see where your lot corners are. (The corners may or may not be marked. OP can hire a licensed surveyor to place iron pipe/rebar/etc. driven flush with the ground at each corner.)

Hopefully this has already been suggested - I didn't read this entire thread.

OP needs to post an update after he has his encounter with the trashy neighbor.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well this clearly isn't a perfect world and it's clear that OP's neighbor isn't going to "play nice".

My point was though that the dragging it back into the neighbor's private property after he put it on the city owned curb for pickup, I would have been the one calling the city at that point.

OP started dragging garbage that had been put on the curb for pickup by the city, back into people's yards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then put it on YOUR OWN EASEMENT in front of YOUR house. Why is that a problem?
Well this clearly isn't a perfect world and it's clear that OP's neighbor isn't going to "play nice".

My point was though that the dragging it back into the neighbor's private property after he put it on the city owned curb for pickup, I would have been the one calling the city at that point.

OP started dragging garbage that had been put on the curb for pickup by the city, back into people's yards.

I think we found someone just like the a-hole that lives next to op based on the totality of his reies.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have moved it off of my property and back onto his many many times, and that actually seemed to work for a while. He had for the most part stopped putting his stuff in my yard. I think the reason it bothers me this time, is because it is a big pile this time. The pic doesn't do it justice, but that pile is pretty damn big. That section of fence behind the pile is 10 feet long and the fence is 4 feet high. The pile is about 7-8 feet by 4 feet and is covering the sidewalk. I think that is what pissed me off this time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's been doing this for the last ten years you've lived there (and probably longer), and you've finally decided to say something?

I have moved it off of my property and back onto his many many times, and that actually seemed to work for a while. He had for the most part stopped putting his stuff in my yard. I think the reason it bothers me this time, is because it is a big pile this time. The pic doesn't do it justice, but that pile is pretty damn big. That section of fence behind the pile is 10 feet long and the fence is 4 feet high. The pile is about 7-8 feet by 4 feet and is covering the sidewalk. I think that is what pissed me off this time.

He's pissing on your leg to show dominance.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#17]
There are much bigger issues to deal with. Frankly, you should've mentioned it BEFORE you got pissed. It's ALWAYS best to communicate and at the end of the day, you probably don't own that strip of grass. Doesn't matter whether you do or not. If you don't want to deal with neighbors' bullshit, move to the country.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Doesn't matter. It's not his property, it belongs to OP. How hard is that to understand?

Obviously extremely difficult for some ARFcommers.
View Quote

Simply saying something is someone's property does not make it their property.

The city or county very well could own and maintain that piece right there.

I had a guy hunting on my property that passed no trespassing signs and said it was his property. But I had the deed with me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#19]
In for the lulz.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Based on your pic (if I’m seeing it correctly)...He’s intentionally putting HIS trash in front of YOUR yard so that he doesn’t have to see it/clutter up HIS yard/view. Fuck that. Dick move.

He’s cucking you and probably laughing with his wife over it every time that look out their front window.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#21]
What are you, two? Just go talk to him like an adult. WTF did you need to make a thread in GD for?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Based on your pic (if I’m seeing it correctly)...He’s intentionally putting HIS trash in front of YOUR yard so that he doesn’t have to see it/clutter up HIS yard/view. Fuck that. Dick move.

He’s cucking you and probably laughing with his wife over it every time that look out their front window.
View Quote

Hey, Hon?  I'm making Christmas cookies for the neighbors.  Did you want to put your dick in the batter again?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Doesn't matter. It's not his property, it belongs to OP. How hard is that to understand?

Obviously extremely difficult for some ARFcommers.
View Quote

Oh I get it, completely. Just trying to see an explanation for it other than the op’s neighbour is a complete ass. Either way, city peoples problems…
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#24]
You know them well enough that they bake you cookies, but you can't say to him "Hey Steve, you keep putting your debris on my grass and it's killing it.  Can't you put it in front of your house?"

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted: I am not going to yell and scream at him or beat his ass, but he has to know that I have moved the stuff back to his yard so many times that I must not want it in my yard. I think it has just bothered me for so long that if he says, "I didn't think you would mind", I would ask him how the hell he could think that when I have moved his crap into his yard so many times before.
View Quote

Yeah, but he didn't seem to mind when you moved the pile from your yard into his yard.  He's probably just putting his pile on your side of the line for a little payback fun.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah, but he didn't seem to mind when you moved the pile from your yard into his yard.  He's probably just putting his pile on your side of the line for a little payback fun.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"Hey hey, I have a huge favor to ask. It's been nagging at me a little but didn't want to seem confrontational. I've had to move your yard debris a few times to keep it from killing the grass. I'm trying to keep my yard as nice as yours haha. Think we could come up with another idea on that? Not a huge deal but I've been meaning to ask you about it"
View Quote

This sounds good so far.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Call the city and report the debris piled up so you get a citation. Then go over to your neighbor's house and tell him he needs to pay the citation cause he put the trash there.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#29]
For the love of God! His debris is on the right of way. If you own that strip of grass then you also own the sidewalk. Your making a mountain out of a mole hill. Your going to sour what could be a good neighbor relationship over this?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I was going to post something very similar to this. I would ask him why he puts it in that spot and see what he says. Chances are he won't have much of an answer. I would then say "Now, 'Ed', from now on, please keep your yard waste on your own property, ok?" and then wait for him to agree. Don't make any threats or seem angry or anything like that.

Are you certain that the neighbor is putting it there, and not some yard service he hires?

Can you catch him in the act and say "no, no, no, keep that shit on your property"?

https://images.mysecuritysign.com/img/pla/K/no-dumping-sign-k-5365_pl.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You say they seem neighborly.  They bring you cookies and such, right?  How about go ring his doorbell.  Say--hey, I have a question for you.  Come take a look with me.

Walk him over to the brush pile.

Say: Here is my question.  I'm wondering WHY you put your brush and clippings HERE instead of over HERE, on YOUR property.

Then listen to what he says.

Presumably he will explain his logic.

If his answer is "Because I think it looks better on the city easement in front of YOUR yard..." then you have your answer, and all pretense of neighborliness can be discarded, and you can proceed accordingly.

But his answer might surprise you.  Hey--it might.

https://images.mysecuritysign.com/img/pla/K/no-dumping-sign-k-5365_pl.png

Ha!

Put that at the spot but put his name at the top, ie  “Frank, No Dumping”

That way all the neighbors can read that Frank is a tool.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#31]
First world problems.

I get it and I really understand and would be frustrated too.

However,  I have a neighbor who is a meth dealer. Everyone knows, everyone sees it. Local cops wont be bothered to even drive by and wave.

Want to trade?
Pick your battles
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Also regarding the part in bold.  If I was your neighbor and the city told me that the correct place to put yard debris is on the easement, that the city owns, so that they city will then come pick it up, then you dragged that shit back into my yard, I would be the one calling the city.
View Quote

Still no reason OPs neighbor can’t put it on the easement, that the city owns, in front of his OWN house instead of in OP’s part of the easement.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:51:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Is that grassy area on the other side of the sidewalk an like an easement?

Either way, rake the debris back to his side in a neat pile  and then burn it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:54:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd tell them not to dump their trasn on my property.  I'd call the health department on them too.  I did that with a neighbor who always did that in SF Chinatown.  Health Department got them to stop (and move it further up the street as it was leaky and staining the sidewalk).
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Is that grassy area on the other side of the sidewalk an like an easement?

Either way, rake the debris back to his side in a neat pile  and then burn it.
View Quote

And call the fire department to tell em your neighbor is burning trash.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:14:13 PM EDT
[#37]
put it in his driveway, or front door.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It either belongs to the city, or it belongs to OP.  This whole thread has been running under "It's the city's property but OP has to maintain it".

If that isn't the case and OP actually owns said property, he should state that.  It would completely change the situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, it does not belong to the city. It is his and his to maintain.
It either belongs to the city, or it belongs to OP.  This whole thread has been running under "It's the city's property but OP has to maintain it".

If that isn't the case and OP actually owns said property, he should state that.  It would completely change the situation.

Most likely it is the OP's property but there exists a public right of way.  The OP could be responsible for maintaining the property even though it is a public right of way.  The OP should know this information.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top