The Associated Press

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. June 24 - A woman talking on a cell phone was killed
Monday after driving into the path of an Amtrak train going 75 mph, police
said.

Police said Wanda Tappin, 44, apparently did not notice the crossing arms
blocking the road.

The train pushed her car about a quarter-mile down the track before
stopping.

None of the 155 people aboard the train was hurt.

[IMG]http://www.uniquehardware.co.uk/server-smilies/contrib/monsieurboo/tgv.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#1]
what a dumbass.  Sounds like a Darwin Award nominee

I saw a guy almost get killed because he was talking on a cellphone.  Didn't see the red light, or ME, STOPPED, in the lane next to him.  He glanced off the front of a pickup truck that was going through the intersection in front of me.  Could have been worse... MUCH worse...

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I almost broadsided a guy on a cell phone in an Infinity Q45 on a Saturday morning.  He had a stop sign; I did not.  I locked up the brakes on my F-150 and just missed him.  He never even looked up.  He has no idea how close he came to serious injury or death.  I was doing 50 mph, which was the speed limit.  

Several months later they made it a 4-way stop.  Someone else must have gotten creamed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I made a bumper sticker up that said  "THE ROAD WOULD BE A SAFER PLACE IF YOU HAD THAT CELL PHONE UP YOUR A$$"..  Someone tore it off after about 10 days...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#5]
The worse thing is you don't know who is crazy any more. It looks like they are all talking to themselves.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello? Eternity Calling...
View Quote

Aw shucks, I thought you were talking about the lovely young lady who was giving me lap dances all Saturday night.  [;)]  She gave me her number, but it's out of service.  [:(]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top