Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 7:04:04 AM EDT
This is prompted by a reply to TheTrackers post over in the Survival Forum.

Over the past two years I replaced 2 old electric resistance units, circa 1979, with a couple of Carrier Heat Pumps. AC is great.

Heatwise-
At night we set the smaller 1.5 ton unit to 67 on the bedroom end of the house and I'm comfortable. If someone bumps it up a degree I'm fried. When it cycles on it's like the AC is on, but soon heats the rooms.

2 ton unit on the other end of the house is usually set to 67-68 unless Mrs. Callgood is there, when it has to go to 70. This end of the house seems cooler than the other, so I took a digital thermometer and measured a vent on each one (probably should measure all vents on each system and take an average).

The 2 ton was giving off 85 degrees (vent was very close to the unit under the house). 1.5 ton was producing 81-82 degrees.

Outside temp was probably in the 30s- low 40s.

Is this about what I could expect? Prior to this house we were natural gas, so this is my first modern Heat Pump experience.

As the outside temp changes, does the air coming out of the vents increase/decrease. I know at some point the units kick over to resistance heat like my old units used.

I do love the bills. Last one was 97.00. We'll see what the first full month of cold (for us) weather brings.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Heat pumps are like ac in reverse. Kinda strange.  They don't put out HOT heat.  You are probably do real well . They don't put out any heat once the outside temp gets below about 32 degrees and thats when they kick over to the resistance coils.  Then they really suck up the amps.  We keep a couple of the hot oil heaters going when it gets really cold.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got a heat pump installed over the  last 2 days and I already am psyched about how great it is.  Of course a lot of it is that the duct work was awful.

Nevertheless, I can't wait to see the first bill.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, we run a wood burning insert most weekends and some nights, makes a big difference on the south (2 ton) end of the house.

I was just wondering if 82-85 degree air out of the vents is what I should expect.

We've had a lot of fun comparing the usage/cost over last years, and we had one new heat pump then. Saving about 20-25%- hard to compare how the weather compares, I guess. I wish we had kept the receipts from three years ago when we had both of the old units.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#5]
20 years in the trade, and a master mechanic.

This is normal heat output with a heat pump.  Be advised that heat pumps are very sensitive to air flow, do NOT close off registers in an unused room.  Inspect air filters every 30 days or so.

Ihave heat pumps in my home FWIW.  In temps above 35* the only cheaper heat is free fuel.

Ops
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I always thought "heat pump" was a Southern expression for "freezing my ass off".
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I always thought "heat pump" was a Southern expression for "freezing my ass off".

So, you've met my wife! Thanks OPs. I've been known to aim a pillow at the vent near the bed. I'll get up and turn it down. The guys that installed them spent a lot of time taking readings at the returns and closed off a lot of the plenum behind the filters. They almost totally reduced the 2 ton return. Screwed me out of a great hiding place for Mrs. Callgoods' Christmas/Bday presents.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Do these work well in northwest PA weather?

Thanks,
Ghilly
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top