Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2002 6:44:07 AM EDT
A friend of mine has been on a special diet that he said doctors put heart patients on when they need to do surgery but want the patient to lose 30-40 lbs prior to surgery.

Tom was supposed to get me a copy but went on TDY with his company for +3 weeks and I'd like to try this diet.  He has used that last 2 months or so going on it for 3 days then off for 4 days 2-3 times a month and has lost +20 lbs.

I could stand to lose 20 lbs or so.

Anybody have a copy they can give me?

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:38:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Well...I will be third...I could stand to drop about 20

medcop
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Do a yahoo or google search on the words "Hospital Diet" and you'll find a ton of freak diets that will screw up your system so bad that the only thing you'll lose is your will to diet.

Another dead-end is the infamous "Fat Burning Soup" diet, which from experience, is pretty tasty the first two days - but never ends with much success.

Sure, you'll say "My Aunt Mary's friend lost 60 pounds on this or that fad diet!"  The big Q is of course whether or not she's been able to keep it off.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Its called "New Mayo Clinic Diet". My inlaw used it successfully. I tried it and lost 5 pounds in a week. Then came the superbowl party and gained 10 back. So I am not disciplined enough for it. I'll see if I can find it and post a copy of it. I'll say one thing for it, I was never hungry when I was on it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#6]
For the record, I've also tried a bunch of these type diets, usually I lose a little and gain a little more back.  

Unfortunately the only thing I've found that helps keep the pounds down is smoking.  And I think I read somewhere that smoking was bad for you or something.

(tatoo, I live in MKE)
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one that worked just as advertised -- the week that I also happened to have a severe case of the flu.

Of course, the flu probably would have burned 10 pounds off me even without the diet, but then I wouldn't have been as hungry, irritable, or lightheaded.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 11:43:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I lost 80 lb. in less than a year. 7 years ago (260-180) and I did it by cutting my calorie intake, drinking a lot of water, running/cardio for 25 minutes a day 3 or 4 times a week, and lifting weights 3 or 4 times a week. I didn't eat anything past 8:00 at night, and did my cardio a few hours before I went to bed. My metabolism stayed high while I slept, burning more calories.

I did not change my diet as far as what type of food I ate, I just changed the amount.

Instead of a quarter pounder, 6 piece Mcnugget, Large fry, Large Coke.
I would eat a quarter pounder, med fry, med coke.

The hardest part is starting, for a long time I made little progress and had little results. After about 6 weeks the pounds starting coming off, my energy level picked up and it was great waking up everyday and hopping on the scale.

As far as cardiac health though.... it would probably be a good idea to lay off the high fat, artery clogging Mickey D's.

Top Top