Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2015 10:35:27 PM EDT
GF and I moved to GA in April.

My current employer is offering to contribute (approx $400/mo) to my health insurance expenses but does not offer coverage through the company... so that leaves us to shop for ourselves and we don't know where to begin.

GF and I are obviously not married but live together and share everything like a married couple would.
We looked into the definition of "Domestic Partnership" and that only benefits same sex couples... and only in certain parts of GA anyway.

Can we both get coverage under one policy ? We each have a kid here also.

We are both 47 years old, non smokers. Kids are 9 and 16.

Advice ?

Get married ?
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the best luck buying an off-marketplace plan from Humana, after much research.  The exchange plans all sucked, or weren't accepted by our docs.
That was up until May of this year - I've since switched to a different employer with crazy good insurance, at least by post-Obamacare standards

Eta: no idea on the non-married thing.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in a similar situation.  My "if you like your plan you can keep it" has been eliminated.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:49:04 PM EDT
[#3]
My coworker's wedding is in April but he's getting married at the work house January 4th so he can get her added to his before open enrollment for our works ins.
If you are both pretty much married, just get a piece of paper to make it official and legal and then when youre ready, have your wedding and get "married".
Does she not work? Is she planning on working full time. What would her employer offer?
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My coworker's wedding is in April but he's getting married at the work house January 4th so he can get her added to his before open enrollment for our works ins.
If you are both pretty much married, just get a piece of paper to make it official and legal and then when youre ready, have your wedding and get "married".
Does she not work? Is she planning on working full time. What would her employer offer?
View Quote

She works fulltime but is currently paid as a contractor. She won't likely be eligible for company payroll/benefits until next Spring.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#5]
You can't buy legal insurance outside the open period that will begin soon. Coverage won't begin until January 1st.

Yay Obama care.

You can buy non Obama care compliant insurance here - its 3 bucks a day and covers most things, but you can get fined for using it, instead of Obama care, which you can only buy for 4 weeks a year.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#6]
What part of Georgia by the way?  No, I am not in the insurance business.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top