Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2002 11:42:17 AM EDT
OK, I'm gonna try to set up a network between my NEW laptop, and my OLD desktop.

I want to use the desktop primarily as a data storage location (digital pics, fiels etc) Its only a 233 mhz machine.

I've got a CAT cable, and an ethernet card (for the old desktop)

I feel pretty comfortable with installing the ethernet card. I installed a SCSI card for my scanner. Same stuff, right???

OK....

What do I need to do on my laptop to set up a network drive, that will access the files on my desktop??

Is there anything else I need to do to the desktop so I can access files from my laptop???

Speak S-L-O-W-L-Y so a kompyootur ilitterit can follow ya.

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#1]
What operating system are you running??
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have a hub or a crossover cable?  You have to have one or the other.  If you don't have a crossover cable, then you'll need to make a trip to Best Buy.

Also, knowing what OS you're running is needed to help further.z
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
You might need a hub set between both computers if your cat 5 is a straight through cable.  You have to have a crossover signal for working with two machines and the hub will do that for you.  If you use just one straight cable your network will not work.  Ethernet card to cat 5 to hub to cat 5 to ethernet card.  You also need to set up your hardrive for your desktop under windows as a shared drive, and give separet names to each computer and one workgroup name for both of them.  You will also need to set up IP addresses for each computer.  Your windows help should tell you how to do all of this.  I know these directions are vauge, but it is difficult to explain in just typing.  Post back or email me [email protected] if this does not help.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a CAT 5e crossover cable.

The laptop is XP. The desktop is Win95.

Does that add complications???

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Having Win 95 might make matters difficult.  I know that the home networking tools in Win 98SE through XP were greatly improved.  It has been a long time since I used 95, so I don't know if it will be easy to do or not.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Where do I look for my Windows XP help??

Would a desktop upgrade to Win 98 be a smart thing???

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a CAT 5e crossover cable.

The laptop is XP. The desktop is Win95.

Does that add complications???

View Quote

Garandman,

I just did this recently; it's a piece of cake with the XP networking wizard.  Try this on the XP box (your notebook, I assume):

Control Panel -> Network

Depending on how you have XP configured, there should be a link for a network setup wizard or something about "set up networking".  Sorry, I don't remember the exact label.  Click that.

The wizard will walk you through the process.  It will ask you whether this is the machine you use to connect to the internet (modem, cable, dsl, whatever you use), or whether you connect to the internet using a different computer.  Let's assume for the purpose of this discussion that you have a modem on your desktop that you use to connect to the internet.  So you select the option saying that you connect through another computer.  It will give you the option of choosing which network connection to use for the local network; pick your ethernet adapter.  It will work some magic and finish.  At the end, it gives you instructions for how to set up the other computers on your network, as below:

On the desktop (I'm assuming this is your 95 machine), insert your WinXP disk.  If you have Autorun enabled, you should get a menu which gives you the option of running the networking wizard (the same thing you just ran on the notebook).  This time you should choose the option that says that this computer connects to the internet, and other computers connect through it.  It will let you choose 2 network adapters this time:  your internet connection and your home network connection.  Select your hypothetical modem for the former and the ethernet card for the latter.  Again, it will work magic with your settings and finish.

If everything went smoothly, the two computer should see each other.

If the roles of the desktop and notebook are reversed, just switch the instructions above.  If that didn't make sense, let me know.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#8]
fiz-

Cool. Thanks.

My laptop is my internet hookup machine, and has the XP operating system. (Desktop is Win 95)

So I just reverse the above, right???

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
fiz-

Cool. Thanks.

My laptop is my internet hookup machine, and has the XP operating system. (Desktop is Win 95)

So I just reverse the above, right???

View Quote

No problem!  Yep, on the laptop just tell the wizard that you will use that computer to connect to the internet.  It will let you choose your internet connection and your local network connection.  You choose the other option on your destktop, and it lets you choose your local network connection.  If you're forewarned about what's coming next, the wizard actually makes sense.  (High praise for Microsoft. [;)])
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Win 95 is 99% like 98.  No need to upgrade.

I'm doing this from memory, so if I get it wrong or it isn't clear, then just ask for more help.  On the Win 95 machine, go to the Control Panel, click on Network, under "The following network components are installed" make sure "File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks" is installed.  If not, click Add, then click Microsoft under manufacturers, then click "File and Print..." under Services, then ok.  After rebooting, on the Win XP system, you should see the 95 machine under network neighborhood.  To "share" the drive on the 95 machine, you can right-click on the drive under "My Computer".  That will bring-up a box where you can click on a tab labeled "Sharing".  Give it a name under "Shared as," and then you should see the drive on the XP machine.

Sorry if I messed-up the above.  I don't have a Windows machine here to try it on.  If you still have trouble, ask again.  My great-nephew lives about 200 yards from where you work, so I could get him to help if you really get stuck.[:)]z
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#11]
YOu guys are da bes'!!!!!!!!!

[sniff...sniff]

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#12]
win95 shouldn't be a problem. I had a win95 box networked to a win98se and a winME system for a while. I'd set static IP addresses, xxx.xxx.xxx.0 and xxx.xxx.xxx.1 I think 192. something is one that isn't used on the internet and is great for home networks. I currently don't have any of my computers networked so I can't check to see the exact IP addresses that I was using. Then just make sure they both have the same work group name
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 3:20:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I had to say it."Did you include this in your prayers,he might help"
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:02:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
win95 shouldn't be a problem. I had a win95 box networked to a win98se and a winME system for a while. I'd set static IP addresses, xxx.xxx.xxx.0 and xxx.xxx.xxx.1 I think 192. something is one that isn't used on the internet and is great for home networks. I currently don't have any of my computers networked so I can't check to see the exact IP addresses that I was using. Then just make sure they both have the same work group name
View Quote

Yeah, this is basically what the XP networking wizard does:
1) sets static IPs of 192.168.0.XXX on each computer.  These are reserved as private IP addresses for use on a local network.
2) lets you set the workgroup name the same. (Sorry, I forgot that part Garandman:  leave the default workgroup name of "MSHOME" in the wizard.)
3) allows your internet connection to be accessed by the local network connection.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:10:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had to say it."Did you include this in your prayers,he might help"
View Quote

It would mean more if YOU prayed for me.  [}:D]

But I've thought about it. [:D]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top