Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 4:51:18 AM EDT
My dad found several guns when he was running a dry cleaners.  Most got turned into the police.  He also had a bucket full of live rounds.

The best gun he found was a Colt Cobra.  Nice walnut grips and beautiful blued finish.  It sad to think its probably was probably melted into an anchor somewhere now.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:52:56 AM EDT
[#1]
why did he turn them over to the police and not to the customer? (assuming he found them in the customers' clothing)
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:55:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:59:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
why did he turn them over to the police and not to the customer? (assuming he found them in the customers' clothing)

Thats was standing policy unless they owner had proof of ownership.  In Michigan we have little green cards that shows ownership. Those that were illegal never had these and never would get claimed. Those were sent to the police across the street.  Not mention it got a little sticky when dealing with people about weapons.  Let the LEOs do their job.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:04:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I have found a few that I forgot I had.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:04:19 AM EDT
[#5]
People would drop their clothes off at the drycleaners with firearms in them?

I know a guy who found a ported sig at one of the major intersections in murfreesboro. He had it run and it came back clean so it's in his safe now.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:06:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Lots.  Esp during deer season. People leave them on top of the car/tailgate and drive away.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:09:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

All time.  You would be surprised what people would leave in their clothing.  $9000 one time, tied with rubberbands.  He never claimed that.  And believe me that never got turned into the police.  Condoms, bullets, wallets, guns, court papers, receipts, keys, basically anything that would fit into a pocket.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:13:48 AM EDT
[#8]

I love these threads.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:14:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Lot of folks around here find old firearms in barns and farm houses.  Saw an old double barrel yesterday that had been left in a garage where the roof leaked for years.  So much rust in the barrels, they were paper thin.  Only suitable for a wall hanger now.

I've also heard of anthropologists digging up old privys and outhouses, finding discarded handguns from the late 1800's era.  Apparently at one time it was a popular place to get rid of the evidence from a crime.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:16:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Taking a sh%t one late night at a hospital, My partner found a Ruger sp 101 on the floor in the other stall. We turned it over to the PD. Turned out to be a rentacops side arm. LMAO.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:16:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I found a Western Auto 12 gauge shotgun in the parking lot of a Lucky Strike tobacco warehouse.  It was next to two spent casings.  And a bloody dead guy.

I turned it in....  had to testify in court, too.  You know, if I hadn't heard those two shots at 11 pm I probably wouldn't have found it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:17:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I've also heard of anthropologists digging up old privys and outhouses, finding discarded handguns from the late 1800's era.  Apparently at one time it was a popular place to get rid of the evidence from a crime.

PBIR CAREER'S HE HOPES TO HAVE BEFORE HE DIES

Astronaut
Anthropologist
Baby oil applicator for Penthouse
Actor
Pirate Captain...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:18:56 AM EDT
[#13]
BUd of mine found a 9mm MAC style pistol by the interstate with a busted zytel mag and missing c clip, few minor scratches.

My friend knew nothing about guns and GAVE it to me.

I contacted the PO-PO, ran the serial #, came back clean.

Found a new c clip, took it to the next gun show and traded it for a 1911 style parts gun that had an Essex frame and Remington slide.

Good shooter, but I everntually traded it for something else which I cannot recall.

Probably shoulda kept the 1911.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:20:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I found a loaded Raven .25 in the glove box of a car that was crashed into a tree along an old mining road. I was 14 at the time. Took the gun home, showed my dad. He took me to the police station, where I told the po-po where I found the gun. Turns out the car was stolen, taken into the mountains for a joy ride and crashed.

I guess the criminal geniuses never thought to look in the glove box.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:24:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Most got turned into the police.  

UGH!.................
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:40:15 AM EDT
[#16]
My dad used to do alot of hunting for arrowheads and other artifacts. Once he found about a dozen handguns NIB and wrapped in newspaper in the wall of an abandoned house on state property. He took them to the Sheriffs department and got them back when noone claimed them. There were some Llamas, P-38s, and some .22 minirevolvers.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:10:26 AM EDT
[#17]
The other day, when some hunter guy left his scoped Mauser rifle and five rounds on the stock in the airport parking lot.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:15:41 AM EDT
[#18]
sorry havent had much luck in that area.  Now if the democrats were actually right for a change, we would be able to pick up machine guns and rocket launchers in the streets and have no background checks.  Now that would be neat.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:15:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:19:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:21:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All time.  You would be surprised what people would leave in their clothing.

A "friend" of mine worked for a car rental shop and he found all sort of stuff forgotten, the illegal stuff were weapons and booze which had been smuggled in. Rather clumsy to smuggle stuff and forget to take it out of car when delivering the car back. He and the colleagues kept most of the stuff people obviously wasn't coming back after.

And as a side note; how smart is it to keep guns you've found? What if they have been involved in some criminal case?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:27:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My dad used to do alot of hunting for arrowheads and other artifacts. Once he found about a dozen handguns NIB and wrapped in newspaper in the wall of an abandoned house on state property. He took them to the Sheriffs department and got them back when noone claimed them. There were some Llamas, P-38s, and some .22 minirevolvers.

This is why I have a problem with cacheing a weapon. Someone with a new metal detector will surely be 30 minutes behind me.

I did find a .32 S&W once. I was helping my Grandmother go through some papers (as in Library of Congress) before she moved and came across it boxed with some of my Grandfathers papers. He was in the medical corp in WWI and was issued it. She gave it to me. We missed the Luger he brought back. My bro got it but was robbed and it's out there somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:27:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I found a bag full of pot one time. It was left in a golf cart when I worked at a golf course.

Gave it to the pro and he flushed it.

I had many people pissed at me for turning it in.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#24]
No, but a buddy of mine found 3 handguns in a paper sack in the attic of an old house he bought. The previous owner had only lived in the house about 5 years, so they probably weren't his. I think he said there was a .38 revolver, a .32 revolver and some kind of small semi-auto, maybe a .25 or something. He took the .38 out once and ran a box of ammo through it, but he's never fired the other two. They live in the back of his safe, behind about $50,000 in various and sundry cameras.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:54:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Only my own that I forgot about.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#26]
I've also heard of anthropologists digging up old privys and outhouses, finding discarded handguns from the late 1800's era. Apparently at one time it was a popular place to get rid of the evidence from a crime.

More than likely fell out of the holster while dropping his pants, and he said, No, I'm not going in there for a pistol!  

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Found a raven .25 in between two fences when I was a kid. Rusted to shit. Turned it in to the popo.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#28]
When I was 15 or so I found a bag full of handguns, jewelry, watches and other expensive small things under a bridge kinda hidden, was tempted to keep the stuff for a moment but I knew it was stolen. I took it home and told my mom to call the cops and they came and took the stuff away and asked me alot of questions, hopefully it all got returned to the real owner.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#29]
I remember when I was a kid (40 odd years ago) my dad comming back from a deer hunt with an old Colt .45 he had found hanging from a fence post still in it's holster.

The holster was sun baked and shrivled up so bad he had to cut it to get the gun out. The gun itself was completely rusted up, he soaked it in a bucket of oil and actually got the loading port to open and the cylinder to turn, but the springs must have failed when he tried cocking the hammer so it and the trigger just flopped back and forth.

I asked him the last time I saw him what had become of it, he told me he had tossed it way back then, I told him I would have like to have had it now, he said why it was just a hunk of rusted junk.
I told him I would have liked to have it for the 'history' of it, he didn't seem to understand that concept.

It was just a hunk of junk and could never be made to fire again no matter what, but I still would liked to have had it non the less....
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
When I was 15 or so I found a bag full of handguns, jewelry, watches and other expensive small things under a bridge kinda hidden, was tempted to keep the stuff for a moment but I knew it was stolen. I took it home and told my mom to call the cops and they came and took the stuff away and asked me alot of questions, hopefully it all got returned to the real owner.

Did the cop retire soon after?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#31]
We, dad and I, found a Remington Model 12 pump .22 in the wall of our house when we were adding insulation in the mid-'70s. It's a bit rough and was missing the buttstock. But it works fine. We added one after we found out it worked. Don't shoot it much anymore, but I still have it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
... as a side note; how smart is it to keep guns you've found? What if they have been involved in some criminal case?

I wouldn’t be too worried about it having been used in a particular crime since linking it to the crime would most likely require some involved testing.

OTOH, if it had been stolen from a victim during a robbery, rape, homicide or such, a simple SN check might show that.

Obviously, getting caught with a slain LEO’s stolen service handgun would be really bad!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Just go scuba diving,you would be surprised how many guns are laying down there, i still cant figure out why people take their entire gun collections boating with them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Only my own that I forgot about.

<-- Breathes sigh of relief that he's not the only one...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Found a loaded Jennings/Bryco 9mm handgun on the front lawn of the office that i work for.........the boss was spazzing out till the cops got there to retrieve it.........all the while I was telling him I could unload it.....    
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I go to lakes near the posters of the boating accident posts and using good magnets have "found" a nice collection
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top