Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 12:50:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I see a few of these complaints coming from people in blue states that people are fleeing.
Could be an issue
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 1:20:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You tell me. Are highly trained professionals also coming in with shitty work ethics and bad attitudes? I'm sure it varies.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this logically depend on experience requirements, educational requirements, competitiveness of industry, applicant pool for said industry, etc.?

Could a new hire in highly competitive field X at sought after company Y with rigorous education and/or training requirements (and let's throw in excess applicants/labor E) be compared with a new hire in a field that requires little to no education or formal training with the applicant pool basically being limited by location and better opportunities for potential applicants?

You tell me. Are highly trained professionals also coming in with shitty work ethics and bad attitudes? I'm sure it varies.

It depends on how you define shitty work ethics and bad attitudes.
If you actually mean mean shitty attitudes and bad work ethics, then for the most part, no.

Entry, mid career, and senior professions know of and understand what has occurred over the past several decades.
Lost pensions, worsened benefits, bottlenecked advanced and promotions, tip of the pyramid personnel increasing their proportional reimbursement 20 fold while stagnating other salaries, etc. - and have essentially zero tolerance for or disposition to put up with expectations that,
In previous generations,
Had reasonable expectations to be rewarded,
Because they have seen too many put those efforts in and get burned.
And have adopted a fuck you/pay me mentality.

For example. I kind of , sort of, tangentially through a family member, know a dual business/stem tier one type with over 20 years of history with a 2K employee/2B net type company, that they started with when the company was new, get laid off.
They are a fairly senior stem department manager, and replaced by a very inexperienced relatively new hire, making about 1/5th as much, to do the same job, while the tier above them has maintained or increased pay.

This was not a performance issue.  This was people maintaining or increasing their pay by replacing them with someone much cheaper even if it is bad for the company.

The person stuck with the same job for 1/5th the pay will not be putting up with the expectations of their predecessor.

They will end up getting marked as not a team player, bad attitude, etc.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 1:22:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It is an absolute shit show out there now.
View Quote

Yes, it is.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 1:53:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't say they don't want to work.  They just seem to have no idea what work ethic is or how to succeed at a job. I think it has more to do with this generation being more or less abandoned by parents with their heads buried in a cell phone or Netflix and hoping the school raises their kids.

They have no drive because nobody is encouraged them or taught them how to climb in life .  I think the constant doom and gloom they see online has enforced the apathy.

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 2:17:46 AM EDT
[#5]
For reference, corporations have spent the last 50 years screwing their employees for entertainment.

Mix in the public school system, drug use, boomers, etc.

You’re lucky the dude even showed up and didn’t get waylaid by a masterbation rampage.

Start fixing some of that shit and watch the quality of people improve.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 7:49:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes, but...

there are a lot of smart, hardworking younger people willing to
bust their asses, and they don’t get enough credit.

I've trained a few, and I hope their accomplishments will far exceed
mine in our trade.
View Quote

I only have my own experience with getting hired here, so I don’t know a lot about our company’s hiring practices, but we’ve got a lot of quality new hires. Like genuinely impressive.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, and it's damn near impossible to fire one because corporate is so afraid of lawsuits, even frivolous ones with no merit. Not just rank and file workers, but managers too.

We literally have to wait for them to accumulate enough attendance points to get terminated because that is about the only thing employees can't argue with. Fortunately, most of the shitty ones have attendance issues.

Wait until you go to corporate with iron-clad proof about a manager who is lazy, incompetent, and puts employee lives at risk, only to get told "we have to work with what we have because we cant replace him".
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's called demoralization. Get used to it, things aren't even that bad yet right now.
View Quote

DOOOOOOOOMM!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've certainly seen a decline in the quality of applicants.

The labor market is so tight that no one's even bothering to apply, so our advertising needs work.
View Quote

People are probably applying but they are being ghosted or ignored.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Who cares as long as they get their work done and don’t offend any customers.  Probably need to get high to justify doing shit work for shit pay and putting up with a shitty boss.  Also, 1/4 of your workforce is probably on some type of prescription drug that alters their thinking.  But that’s different…
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Apparently not smoking weed in the parking lot on your lunch break is too much to ask.  At least for our employees.

Who cares as long as they get their work done and don’t offend any customers.  Probably need to get high to justify doing shit work for shit pay and putting up with a shitty boss.  Also, 1/4 of your workforce is probably on some type of prescription drug that alters their thinking.  But that’s different…

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:14:24 AM EDT
[#11]
My guess is we’re seeing the results of the last 2 decades of decreasing quality of the American education system.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Without a doubt. Most of our new hires have attendance issues and are just plain shitty people.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#13]
People dont want to do a majority of the work for the smallest slice of the pie?

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Would still bang Justine Bateman if given the chance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You take the good, you take the bad.
You take them both and there you have the facts of life.

Would still bang Justine Bateman if given the chance.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I hear it's worse today, but I'm not sure I believe that.

Back in 1985, I was 18 years old and started as night stock boy at a little regional airline.
Everyone I worked with sucked.  They had no drive, no initiative, nothing.

In five years I ended up being the director of the department, with 50 employees working for me in 3 cities.
Three of my previous supervisors were then working for me.

The workforce wasn't worth a fuck back then either.

Tony

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top