Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 1:13:44 PM EDT
Just some curiosity on my behalf here, I know that the combat is mainly irregular and that our forces tend to have the initiative in large scale engagements.

However has the enemy ever attempted to dislodge us from a fixed Position such as a Firebase, FOB, Airfield etc etc. Or has it all been harassing attacks?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty sure we got at least one forward post overrun in AFG.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess what is your definition of fixed and your definition of overrun... As in did they over take a FOB and hold it? or did they over run a perrimeter and push our guys back until we bombed them to Allah?

if its A then i think no.. If its B then yes i think at least once. I beleive i read a story of a watch post being overrun and us losing a couple of guys.. very sad..
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I can remember about 50 or so insurgents tried to attack Balad AB a few years ago and mowed down by machine guns/apaches/UAVS.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#4]
In AFG in 2005 another platoon in my company had a squad sized OP that was overrun 3 times. The first time 2 Americans were wounded with more than 50 Anti Coalition (Taliban/AQ) Killed or wounded. Second time they expended all ammo and had to break contact. Third time Haji's support by fire  lit up their own assault.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
There have been a few incidents ( a few years ago, now) of insurgents attacking various bases and getting inside the wire, but they've always been killed pretty quickly.  Convoys are much easier targets.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know, but every time they tried when I was there they got the shit shot out of them.  When you have God (FO's) with you it just doesn't make it easy for them.  There was a couple of times that I couldn't believe that they were that close to us though, and it did get "intense" a couple of times.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No kidding, has the OP read Lone Survivor?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding, has the OP read Lone Survivor?

That wasn't an forward post...it was a recon mission.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Mike Spann was a former Marine and a CIA paramilitary officer that was killed during a prison uprising in Afghanistan, 2001.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#10]
i can recall hearing or reading several. again it's one of those things where it depends on your definitions. I am sure that many OPs have been taken-including a four man sniper position back in 2003/2004 where the M40 was taken and later used against coalition troops before being recovered nearly two years later.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#11]
There was a pretty good attempt to  overun Abu Ghraib while I was there.

Link
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember something about a mud fortress-turned-prison in Afg. that Taliban prisoners managed to take control of temporarily. IIRC it was a small group of Army SF and Northern Alliance troops who were in charge.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

There was a pretty good attempt to  overun Abu Ghraib while I was there.

Link

Madness

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top