Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2008 4:14:21 PM EDT
I scored a 30 gallon tank with mounting rails for a motor and compressor.  For free.

Tank was made for air, made in 1967, and still has the nameplate.

Appears to be in good condition, no surface rust, and the guy said it wasn't rusted out inside either - his motor and compressor were just too small for the tank.

What size compressor and motor should I be looking for?

When this is built I would like it to have a 220VAC motor powering it.

Thanks for any input!

J.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Thirty gallon?

A 5hp will keep up with any demand that a 30gal receiver can handle.

Haunt Craigs list, maybe Ebay and the local newspaper if you want used parts.   Harbor Freight might be a good place if you want new but inexpensive pieces.

Keep it cheap, as you could buy something like this for very little money.

FWIW - I make my gun money (and feed the family) maintaining industrial air compressors.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!

A 30 gallon tank with a decent compressor on top will be moving WAY up for me.

I currently have an oilless compressor with a 5 gallon tank that I think was made in the early 70s.  It came from my great grandfather.  It is worn out and takes several minutes to reach full pressure and shut off.  All that it is useful for is inflating tires.

Inexpensive is my goal, and parts do not have to be new.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably not worth it if you price out the motor and compressor separately. Check on a new combined unit verses the individual pieces.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top