Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2010 11:54:09 AM EDT
Last night I accidentally left the fuel valve on the bike and it started dripping fuel out of the air cleaner and carb.  After a little research, I think it might be a stuck float or jet in the carb, but if anybody has any more insight I would appreciate it.  

More importantly, I don't know much about bike carbs.  I understand how they work, but as far as the design and parts they are very different from a car.  Does anyone have a good diagram or exploded view that might show the important parts of the carb '95 Roadking?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't know what you are doing, find someone who does and have them do it before you mess something up and have to pay the HD shop a chunk of money to fix what you should not have done.

Really, you must have a buddy who knows how to wrench and he can teach you.  It ain't rocket surgery, but an exploded diagram of a carb will not help you properly adjust the carb after you tear it apart.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#2]
stuck float or fuel valve
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't seem to get it to do it again and it runs fine.  I guess maybe it fixed itself.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Most likely float needle not seating correctly. Sometimes they will wear a groove and will need to be replaced.

Maybe you got lucky and it seated on its own.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#6]
when it happened to me, i'd just turn the fuel off and run the engine dry of fuel.  then open the fuel valve.

of note.  i always turned the fuel off when parking.  when for long periods of storage, run the carb dry of fuel.  
my last screamin eagle carb lasted over 20 years doing it like this with no problems at all.  

but....

that garbage on the bottom of the tank finally filled up the accelerator pump diaphram to where i needed to rebuild.  

whe it was rebuilt... holy shit, that engine ran balls out!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:16:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought those things only leaked oil!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top