Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2005 12:10:01 PM EDT
I am planning on doing a fresh install of win xp on my machine along with all of the updated patches and drivers for all of my hardware and usual software.

Is there a way to make a backup file on several CDs that will let me return to that starting point at any time in the future just by wiping the drive and coying the image over from the CDs (or possibly DVDs now, if I feel like forking over the bucks for a DVD burner.)

?

This way in the future when I want to do a fresh start, I don't have to hunt down all of the drivers and software again.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Backup software can do that on multiple CD's.  Keep in mind it's a special format, and I just don't trust special formats as much as a disk I can get on, open up some files and check them.

Get a DVD burner.  Hell, even that's not big enough for me anymore.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Backup software can do that on multiple CD's.  Keep in mind it's a special format, and I just don't trust special formats as much as a disk I can get on, open up some files and check them.

Get a DVD burner.  Hell, even that's not big enough for me anymore.  

I probably will.

I'd like to be able to rig something up where I can just boot from a disk and it'll wipe out the hard drive and install a fresh copy of the OS and all of the drivers for my hardware, along with a few programs that I know I'll want.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
someone here mentioned a utility that would extract all the windows drivers.

I"m not sure if Ghost could run off of multiple CD's or not...I wonder if they did if off floppies back in the day??

Usually a fresh install- and updated/current or latest drivers are my preference.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Drive Image will do it for you. They used to have a demo version, but I am not sure if it is still available. The last version I got would even make an image of a drive while running windows.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Norton Ghost will do it.  I would suggest useing a DVD though if your like me, I've got 20 gigs of shit that I need which would be about 40 cds without any kind of compression  Granted I don't have experence with useing a program like that becuause I 've got RAID 1 setup so I can't use it.  I just have an extra hdd for my back up.  I haven't found any kind of  drive image program for any kind of RAID setup so if you got your computer setup like that, you might wanna get an extra hdd.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Usually a fresh install- and updated/current or latest drivers are my preference.

that's what I want this to be the equivalent to

basically pop in a disk and with little or no input from me beyond possibly swapping in disk 2, disk 3, etc.

get a fresh install of windows and other software with all of the drivers updated as of 1/9/2005 for example, then at a future date I just have to hunt down any updates released from 1/9/2005.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll chck out norton ghost.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am planning on doing a fresh install of win xp on my machine along with all of the updated patches and drivers for all of my hardware and usual software.

Is there a way to make a backup file on several CDs that will let me return to that starting point at any time in the future just by wiping the drive and coying the image over from the CDs (or possibly DVDs now, if I feel like forking over the bucks for a DVD burner.)

?

This way in the future when I want to do a fresh start, I don't have to hunt down all of the drivers and software again.

I don't trust those types of back ups personally.  I have an external hard drive which all my files and .exe/setup files for all my programs are saved and I back up my files periodically.  It takes me longer to recover, but my files stay current and is much more convenient in the long run
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Norton Ghost and get yourself an external HD to back everything up to.  A 250GB Western Digital USB 2.0 or Firewire drive is only about $250 or so.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#10]
i use powerquest drive image.

2 floppy disks.

Boot to floppy. program starts. Then you can make an image of a partition and save it to another disc, or you can use a cd burner and the program will burn directly to CD.

Personally, i save the image to a hard drive, then burn the image to dvd. The software will directly burn a cd rom, but not a DVD. Works great for me. Never had any problems, and it's bailed my ass out many times.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Just as info...I use Drive Image for my job. We have many images for different departments and hardware configs. I really works well. Making a backup image before a major upgrade is a very wise idea. Keeping a current backup of your data files is also a very wise idea. Some combination of these, no matter which prog, will allow you to recover from a catastrophic failure/upgrade failure.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't trust those types of back ups personally.

why?

It takes me longer to recover, but my files stay current and is much more convenient in the long run

if it takes longer, how is it more convenient?

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't trust those types of back ups personally.

why?

It takes me longer to recover, but my files stay current and is much more convenient in the long run

if it takes longer, how is it more convenient?

Bad experience with boot disks/ghost back ups that didn't work properly and/or cd's that were destroyed inadvertently.

It's more convenient because I can have all my files up to the point I last backed up, which I do weekly, and it allows for quicker access to files if I need them quickly.  It's mainly personally preference on my part though.  When I wipe a hard drive and reinstall, it takes me the better part of 4-6 hours, but I don't have to worry about lossing anything and I don't have to spend money on disks to make them periodically
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Buy a new hard drive.
They are faster, bigger, and cheaper now.
Fool proof.

After everything is working correctly, install the old HD as a slave, with all your old software already there.
Then, just delete the Windows, and other files you don't need.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Buy a new hard drive.
Fool proof.

that's the plan, i'm looking for ways to cutdown the time to do a fresh install on that new drive (or on the old one if I don't feel like expanding hd space).

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Buy a new hard drive.

Fool proof..

But not VIRUS PROOF.........
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#17]
So, will Ghost or any of the other programs write to, and install from multiple CD's???

Like the restore CD's??...'insert cd #3 and click OK'
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
So, will Ghost or any of the other programs write to, and install from multiple CD's???

Yes. But I use an external USB 2.0/Firewire hard drive to backup all my PC's.  Then I store the HD in a fireproof safe.  CD's are a PIA.

www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/features.html
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

PowerQuest and Ghost will i beleive. But CD are raelly a pain in the ass. DVD's are better.

I'd either back them up to DVD's or a spare hard drive.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh, yeah, I just remembered that Symantec bought out PowerQuest...You can use mulitple CD's, but I also suggest the usb drive, provided your BIOS is USB aware. An additional hard drive is another option. I take the image onto a hard drive, saved in CD sized chunks, then burn to CD/DVD. I can restore from either the hard drive or the CDs depending on the application.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

PowerQuest and Ghost will i beleive. But CD are raelly a pain in the ass. DVD's are better.

I'd either back them up to DVD's or a spare hard drive.

I'd go with DVD's or a USB attached external HD - if you're backing up big chunks of important data/ important pRon. -

If you only copy the drivers, CD's would probably suffice.

So I would do a fresh install of the OS - from the factory CD, and then re-install the drivers from the back up cd. - as opposed to copying them over in their 'installed' form.

or- for the drivers and programs.- copy them to a  partition and install from there to your c drive. You would still probably want an extra back up on CD/DVD. I usually make 2 back ups- but i'm kinda anal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top