Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 5:56:22 AM EDT
Any gurus out there use any software apps to recover data from a damaged hard drive...I have a program Data Doctor Recovery that has found the data but has been running for 2.5 weeks and is only 25% done and Memory usage just keeps climbing with the recovery percentage at 25% for the past week...

The drive was damaged when it lost power in the middle of a recovery (from the recovery partition) The program i am using sees all my data but it keeps (it seems) just bogging down...

Thought someone might be familiar with another application capable of getting data back..

P.S. Since the drive was in the middle of a recovery from partition hooking up to a drive Cage/housing you cannot see the data (this is a laptop drive) you can see the drive but the data is gone but still there if you know what I mean..

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:20:19 AM EDT
[#1]
A few more questions.

What exactly is this recovery deal, and why was it being run?

Did you make any backups of your data?

It sounds to me like you re-formatted and were trying to reinstall windows.  Reinstalling Windows is fine, but you should still back up data anyway, HOWEVER, not backing up and reformatting is probably the worst thing you could have done.  When you format or reformat something, you basically erase your disk.  All the data is there, but you have to use a program to find it as you are doing now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:23:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A few more questions.

What exactly is this recovery deal, and why was it being run?

Did you make any backups of your data?

It sounds to me like you re-formatted and were trying to reinstall windows.  Reinstalling Windows is fine, but you should still back up data anyway, HOWEVER, not backing up and reformatting is probably the worst thing you could have done.  When you format or reformat something, you basically erase your disk.  All the data is there, but you have to use a program to find it as you are doing now.

that's what I am asking... Sorry no back up solution was readily available for me to use in Afghanistan, I am trying to recover my PC the best way possible..I know all the would of could of should of scenarios... But at tis point I am looking for pointers to a solid program that can recover the dat, i have a years worth of deployment info and pictures on the drive  I just don't want to lose.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Oops...just saw no backup.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:27:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just restore it from your backup.

Slow down cowboy...read above..I have no backup...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:28:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Yea...I missed that part...duh. Sorry.

Do you have a restore point possibly? Is this your primary drive or a storage drive.

Any way to hook up the drive to another PC, read the data, rebuild the drive, and bring the data back in?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#6]
What were the circomstances for the need for the original recovery? (Before the power went out.)

WHY were you doing this?

WHAT data is at stake?

Those are important questions, as you are one step short of the point of no return.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:37:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What were the circomstances for the need for the original recovery? (Before the power went out.)

WHY were you doing this?

WHAT data is at stake?

Those are important questions, as you are one step short of the point of no return.

Guys, I am past the point of return..there is no restore point, there is no backup...I am looking for a program that can do a recovery of the data from a formatted hard drive, the drive lost power/shut down while in the middle of a recovery process recovery from the recovery partition, the drive is non-bootable, and when connected to another PC through a USB interface you can only see a few folder all else is gone...

If you don't know of a program that can pull data off just let me know...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Your best bet is either to keep doing what you're doing, or get some dongle that uses another interface between the computer.

USB is slow, which is why it's taking forever for you.  You'll have to give us some information about why type of interface your laptop's hard drive uses, and what is available to the host computer, but we can recommend something that would be faster.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck trying to recover your data.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#9]
FYI....

For the future if anyone runs into this problem THIS IS THE SOFTWARE TO USE

Runtime.org Getdataback 4.0

took about 4 hours and I have everything back $79.00 bucks. I found through PC Magazine @ pcmag.com, they had a data recovery expert doing a video interview and this recommends this software above all else...

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:27:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I've use EaseUs Data Recovery before with good luck.

That was a few years ago, there may be better out now, but it recovered 98% from a repartitioned drive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top