Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 105
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Commando223:  How much?

I'm thinking about getting my first Generator at a minimum I would like to power the fridge and a window AC unit.
View Quote

Get on the stick, son.  Get something.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:07:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: danpass] [#2]
Can an inverter generator not have AVR?

I’m looking at the champion 200962, a 2500w inverter genny and the Specs says “AVR: No”

https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/200962-2500-watt-dual-fuel-inverter/

also says: Confidently connect your sensitive electronics since this inverter produces Clean Power (< 3% THD)
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Typically, the term "AVR" is used to describe an Automatic Voltage Regulator circuit in non-inverter models. Some models have it, and some don't.

With inverter models, the voltage regulation is automatic, and inherent in the way the inverter circuit operates. So, there is no separate AVR circuit present - it's baked into the design of the inverter circuit.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, thanks. I was thinking that was the case.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:
Champion 2000w inverter generator. Gas only.

$341

Champion Power Equipment 100692 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator, Ultralight
View Quote

I bought one of these that was on Woot back in December. It's already saved my hash twice.  About a month ago I was working with friends on a outdoor landscaping project and, whoops, no accessible power.  Pull this bad boy out and we're running all the saws and drills all day.  Last week a storm came through and we lost power for two days.  Myself and my wife work from home.  Generator kept us in business and kept the fridge cool too.  Lucky for us the weather was nice both days.

One thing I learned is that having a couple 100-foot extension cords doesn't do you a lot of good if you need power between the generator on the first floor and the home office on the second.  I'm going to get a couple shorter cords and a couple surge strips so the kids can charge their pads and laptops during working hours
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 12:09:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PA-Minuteman] [#6]
Originally Posted By meh_:
Champion 2500 dual fuel $509

Requires Walmart + but you can buy one month for 12 bucks.

Generators are tax free right now in FL
View Quote
This a good price?

Thinking of picking up one for my parents

Also this seems to be the 200962. Which has different plugs compared to the 200961. For things like a fridge/freezer/lights or maybe a small heater. Will this be ok?

200962: 120V 20A Duplex (5-20R), 5V 2.1A USB

200961: 120V 20A Duplex (5-20R), 12V DC Automotive, Parallel

Both can be parallel
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 1:05:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:  This a good price?

Also this seems to be the 200962. Which has different plugs compared to the 200961. For things like a fridge/freezer/lights or maybe a small heater. Will this be ok?

Both can be parallel
View Quote

Don't run a heater on a generator.  Get a propane heater.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 1:14:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Don't run a heater on a generator.  Get a propane heater.
View Quote
Thanks for the tip
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
This a good price?

Both can be parallel
View Quote

Yes this is a good price.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Thanks for the tip
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Don't run a heater on a generator.  Get a propane heater.

Thanks for the tip

I should clarify - if you've got natural gas, oil, wood pellets, anything but an electric central heat, use a generator to power the fan, igniter, & thermostat.  But don't run a generator inefficiently burning gasoline or propane to run an electric heater, unless you're just breaking the genny.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Anygood deals out there?

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:41:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7] [#12]
Originally Posted By Commando223:
Anygood deals out there?

View Quote
Page 87... Weee..  

Walmart has a Pulsar 2300 inverter generator for $360.  I have no experience with them so no idea how good they are.  Not sure if it is available for all or just Walmart + members.

Pulsar PG2300iS 2,300 Watt Portable Small Gas Powered Inverter Power Generator
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 7:
Page 87... Weee..  

Walmart has a Pulsar 2300 inverter generator for $360.  I have no experience with them so no idea how good they are.  Not sure if it is available for all or just Walmart + members.

View Quote

That looks pretty good for the price I think 🤔
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Just picked up the HF Predator 9000 watt. Now to install an interlock and plug-in on my panel. Unfortunately I know nothing about electrical shit like this so I'll be subbing that out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:32:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: danpass] [#15]
Does anyone have a 'generator box' ?

I put one together for a previous house and and included it (and small genny) with the house sale.  So now I'm putting together another one:

Milwaukee 26” Jobsite tool box
Exhaust extension with header wrap
25ft 10/3 3-prong extension cord
5-15P to L14-30R adapter dogbone, 10awg
Tools that came with genny
Two quarts of oil 5W-30 synthetic
Oil funnel
2qt Drain “pan”
Original Oil dipstick (magnetic one in generator)
Measuring cup
Spare Air filter and filter oil
Spare spark plug NGK 6222 (BPR5HS) x 2
Spare propane regulator (P/N 100711152 for 200962)
Heavy chain and lock w keys
Super Easy siphon
Good funnels for gasoline
Bureaucrat gas funnel (backup)
Spare gas can caps
Nite Ize gear ties
Flashlight

External: TT30 to L14-30 cord 25ft

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Pros / Cons to plugging a portable power station to the house panel?

Here is what I'm curious about:

BLUETTI Portable Power Station EB70S 800W

This would be for running small items overnight, like a couple of CPAP machines (different rooms), and avoiding extension cords all over the place.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Got my Predator 3500 out the other day to run. Started on second pull and ran smoothly.  It was sitting for about 4-5 months. I did put stabil in last winter after I filled it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I need to run a well pump…. Will two of the gennies hooked together be better than one bigger one?

I wish i knew what well water pump i have.   Its in the pipe down about 12?feet and pumps the water from 60ft below….  Last tjme i checked
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I need to run a well pump…. Will two of the gennies hooked together be better than one bigger one?

I wish i knew what well water pump i have.   Its in the pipe down about 12?feet and pumps the water from 60ft below….  Last tjme i checked
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:53:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7] [#20]
Originally Posted By Bounce19712:
I need to run a well pump. Will two of the gennies hooked together be better than one bigger one?

I wish i knew what well water pump i have.   Its in the pipe down about 12?feet and pumps the water from 60ft below.  Last tjme i checked
View Quote
You probably need to know the amperage the pump is using.   Can you look at where it is currently hooked up to your electrical panel?   Our well pump uses (2) 20 amp circuits connected together.  

You might need to parallel the generators to connect it somehow to your panel with 240.  Or use the larger generator which probably has the connector.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#21]
This Champion with remote start is replacing my Honda EU3000 in the class C RV I full time in.  ($890 from Wal-Mart, delivered to my current location.) The generator has to run two minutes to establish a full charge before the surge suppresser I have attached lets the juice move to my RV.  Now my neighbors don't have to see me in my bathrobe and slippers in the morning!

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 1911SFOREVER:
This Champion with remote start is replacing my Honda EU3000 in the class C RV I full time in.  ($890 from Wal-Mart, delivered to my current location.) The generator has to run two minutes to establish a full charge before the surge suppresser I have attached lets the juice move to my RV.  Now my neighbors don't have to see me in my bathrobe and slippers in the morning!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42928/20220606_170854-2410672.jpg
View Quote

That would nicely replace my 2.8 KW Onan.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:58:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: danpass] [#23]
I picked up two new Scepter military STYLE cans, since the real ones are unobtainable.

What I didn't know is that they now come with dildos.

Yes .... dildos .....

Some type of insert locked down into the mouth of the can.  A pair of pliers motivated them out.  

I haven't bothered to google their purpose .  I just removed them.  Now I can fit a spout inside, though I bought Scepter caps separately off eBay (Scepter P/N 09643 for storage) and Scepter spout kits, P/N 03647 off Amazon, and plan to keep this bureaucrat spout/thru-cap system in my generator box as a backup.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Obviously a strainer to keep debris out.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 1:10:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: danpass] [#25]
I thought so as well.  Not helpful when pouring gas out though as it is not easily removable.

But it turns out it is a flame arrestor.

Decades of gas cans Not having this thing.

How did we ever make it out of the 20th century ..... [/sarcasm]
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:16:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By danpass:
Does anyone have a 'generator box' ?

I put one together for a previous house and and included it (and small genny) with the house sale.  So now I'm putting together another one:

Milwaukee 26" Jobsite tool box
Exhaust extension with header wrap
25ft 10/3 3-prong extension cord
5-15P to L14-30R adapter dogbone, 10awg
Tools that came with genny
Two quarts of oil 5W-30 synthetic
Oil funnel
2qt Drain "pan"
Original Oil dipstick (magnetic one in generator)
Measuring cup
Spare Air filter and filter oilSpare spark plug NGK 6222 (BPR5HS) x 2
Spare propane regulator (P/N 100711152 for 200962)
Heavy chain and lock w keys
Super Easy siphon
Good funnels for gasoline
Bureaucrat gas funnel (backup)
Spare gas can caps
Nite Ize gear ties
Flashlight

External: TT30 to L14-30 cord 25ft

View Quote

I have a largeish Rubbermaid container with everything needed for routine use.

Actually I have a separate smaller one for gas can stuff and I have extension cords in the shed and garage so those aren't in the box.

But I have spare spark plugs, spare spark arrestor and air filters, that way I can just swap them out quickly if needed.

Tools for routine maintenance, gas stabilizer, funnel, maintenance and usage log book, manuals. A few other spare odds and ends.

I use disposable aluminum cooking pans for oil changes and beakers to quickly fill the exact amount.

During an outage I can get set up quickly with a minimum of fussing and if the spouse needs to set it up everything is right there. The way our house is layed out even running the extension cords is pretty quick and easy. It's worth mentioning that during an emergency I don't try to re-create normal circumstances, I prioritize to make the gas last. I use to hike and backpack and even though my knees and back put an end to that my gear has served well as emergency preps.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By danpass:
I haven't bothered to google their purpose .  I just removed them.  Now I can fit a spout inside, though I bought Scepter caps separately off eBay (Scepter P/N 09643 for storage) and Scepter spout kits, P/N 03647 off Amazon, and plan to keep this bureaucrat spout/thru-cap system in my generator box as a backup.
View Quote

If they're anything like the Midwest brand sold at Menards, the purpose is to save the environment by ejecting gas onto the ground as fast as you can pump it in. There's one Shell station with slow pumps near me that I can almost always run the nozzle at a just barely on setting and not have it spray back at me. Most other stations, the slowest you can modulate the nozzle is just too fast. It's the dumbest thing I've ever experienced. I always forget it's there until I get to the gas station, take the spout off, and 'oh, yeah, that's why this was the empty can'. Been meaning to try to get some needle nose pliers or something between the jug and the screen and yank it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

Took advantage of floridas tax break and a great price from Walmart of $749..with free shipping…
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 8:30:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: danpass] [#29]
Originally Posted By fosters:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99960/E3AE2713-3140-4761-ACD8-C88D75174AC7_jpe-2413755.JPG

Took advantage of floridas tax break and a great price from Walmart of $749..with free shipping…
View Quote

Same here, a 2500 from Northern Tool, delivered today :D

It’s the fixed USB ports model vs the generic 12V round plug (with USB thing separate) but I didn’t care about lol.

I just wanted dual fuel.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/10/2022 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 7:
Page 87... Weee..  

View Quote

I have that inverter. I picked one up at the beginning of the year when HD had them on sale for $279.

It's a nice inverter. I've tested it a few times and it works well. I like it better than the smaller Wen inverter I have. Seems well built and it gets pretty good reviews. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a fuel gauge. Other than that, it's GTG.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Going to be closing on my house in 3 weeks and will be picking up a generator ASAP. Probably will have an interlock put on to make things easy.

Will need to power
Sump pump
Fridge
Deep freezer (in intervals)
Network and laptop
Fans
Natural gas furnace
Garage door
Microwave
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 10:47:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#32]
Originally Posted By laxman09:
Going to be closing on my house in 3 weeks and will be picking up a generator ASAP. Probably will have an interlock put on to make things easy.

Will need to power
Sump pump
Fridge
Deep freezer (in intervals)
Network and laptop
Fans
Natural gas furnace
Garage door
Microwave
View Quote

Sump pumps take a LOT of startup watts. If you have natural gas, you don't need to power a microwave.  Use your oven.

ETA:  Misread sump pump as water well pump.  My apologies.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:25:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Sump pumps take a LOT of startup watts.  If you have natural gas, you don't need to power a microwave.  Use your oven.
View Quote

Touche

I'm going to look at getting a water powered backup pump actually.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 7:48:05 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm about to buy one of the Harbor Freight 9500 Watt inverter generators to power my entire home and have a couple of questions.

Is it large enough to run my central A/C unit?  My A/C unit shows it as a Rheem that uses 208/230V, 1 phase, 60hz 30A max, the HF generator output is 30A.

How difficult is it to get these serviced/repaired if needed.  I plan on buying the extended two year replacement warranty but I am concerned about repairs after the two year period has ended.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Skopsko07734:
I'm about to buy one of the Harbor Freight 9500 Watt inverter generators to power my entire home and have a couple of questions.

Is it large enough to run my central A/C unit?  My A/C unit shows it as a Rheem that uses 208/230V, 1 phase, 60hz 30A max, the HF generator output is 30A.

How difficult is it to get these serviced/repaired if needed.  I plan on buying the extended two year replacement warranty but I am concerned about repairs after the two year period has ended.

Thanks.

https://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/9fc4a8332f9638515cd199dd0f9238da/5/7/57080_W3.jpg
View Quote

What is the tonnage of the central a/c? If you install a soft start kit, you would probably be able to power a central a/c with that inverter. The problem is that it would use a lot of the available wattage, leaving you with not a whole lot to run much else. I have a cousin who bought a Honda EU7000is which is slightly smaller. He could not get his a/c to run at all on it. Even if he could have, he would not have had the watts to run anything else. If you're going to run a central a/c, you need something pretty beefy. My brother in law has a 13 kw Duromax which is a lot more powerful than the Predator. That would be about as low as I would go on wattage if I were trying to operate a central a/c. That's why a lot of people who want to run central a/c in an outage opt for a whole house generator in the 18-25 kw range.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

I live in TX so I've thought about this a lot. What I've decided on: Trying to buy a huge generator that isn't a whole-house unit is probably not feasible. You're going to stress it massively and will also need a ton of fuel to keep it running. Instead, I have a gen with about 4,000 Watts and bought an emergency window A/C to keep in the shed. That way I can at least keep one room cool in an emergency.
View Quote

That's my approach as well. Rather than trying to power the entire house, I just stick to the essentials. Realistically speaking, outages are usually not very long. I try to have enough gear to be comfortable. A window a/c and power for lights and the fridges. You can get away with using a 4 kw inverter easily if you stick to the basics. It's what I call the lifeboat approach. One room cooled down enough to sleep and electricity so you can keep some appliances going. The longest outage I've seen here is five days. As long as you have enough fuel on hand, you can run an inverter for a long time. It won't be ideal, but you won't be sitting in the dark and the heat. If we had multi-week outages several times a year, I'd probably want a more elegant and comprehensive solution. But for the very rare long outage, the inverters are great.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the info everyone, I will rethink my approach to this.

I like the idea of using a small window unit vs. cooling the entire house to avoid killing off the generator.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#39]

I live in TX so I've thought about this a lot. What I've decided on: Trying to buy a huge generator that isn't a whole-house unit is probably not feasible. You're going to stress it massively and will also need a ton of fuel to keep it running. Instead, I have a gen with about 4,000 Watts and bought an emergency window A/C to keep in the shed. That way I can at least keep one room cool in an emergency.
View All Quotes

Thanks.

https://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/9fc4a8332f9638515cd199dd0f9238da/5/7/57080_W3.jpg

It doesnt give you the flexibility of changing rooms after you set it up, but you might look into a mini-split.  They tend to perform much better per power consumption and usually don't have a huge startup inrush current (applies the ones with VFD control, usually labeled "INVERTER!").  They pretty much always work as heat pumps so you can use it for warmth in a "mild" winter (probably not as much a concern for your needs, though it might make life more convenient when things are normal during the winter).  Typical draw maxes out at 3600 watts (requiring 240 volts) though they make bigger ones.

They also make VFD whole house central units that work the same way but are bigger.  They seem to start well on generators with little to no startup inrush demands.  You need a bigger generator to handle them though.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#40]

Touche

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Sump Well pumps take a LOT of startup watts.  If you have natural gas, you don't need to power a microwave.  Use your oven.

Touche

Sorry, I misread.  Thought you were trying to power a water well.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Commando223:  How much?

I'm thinking about getting my first Generator at a minimum I would like to power the fridge and a window AC unit.

Got one in this morning.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Commando223:

Got one in this morning.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/63506/2312_jpg-2414879.JPG
View Quote

Well done.  See you next Cheesecake.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:28:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: danpass] [#43]
Who makes a 10/3 adapter in the following format:

L14-30 R

to

Nema 5-20 P

Or will I be the maker?  Please confirm it’s ok to run a jumper across the black and red inside the L14 housing.

edit: I found 12/3 but I’d prefer 10/3 to match the 10/3 40ft L14-30 P/R cable

edit2: found this pic online. I imagine it’s ok to strip to strip some insulation from the hot, fold that wire and shove that loop into Y and continue that same wire across to X.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#44]
I used a jumper on the generator breaker in the panel when I used a EU3000. Same thing in the plug, turn off all 240V stuff and should be fine.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By zoe17:
I used a jumper on the generator breaker in the panel when I used a EU3000. Same thing in the plug, turn off all 240V stuff and should be fine.
View Quote

Can you explain this
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:

If they're anything like the Midwest brand sold at Menards, the purpose is to save the environment by ejecting gas onto the ground as fast as you can pump it in. There's one Shell station with slow pumps near me that I can almost always run the nozzle at a just barely on setting and not have it spray back at me. Most other stations, the slowest you can modulate the nozzle is just too fast. It's the dumbest thing I've ever experienced. I always forget it's there until I get to the gas station, take the spout off, and 'oh, yeah, that's why this was the empty can'. Been meaning to try to get some needle nose pliers or something between the jug and the screen and yank it.
View Quote

They come out in less then a minute. They all come out. Pretty easy to grab and yank. Plus once it’s done, it’s done.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Got_Nukes:

Can you explain this
View Quote

If using a generator that only outputs 120V, you can feed an interlock breaker (double pole) 30A. Put a jumper between the two poles. This feeds 120V to both sides of the buss bar in the electrical panel. It will not fire 240V loads, but give the entire home 120V where needed.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the info everyone, I will rethink my approach to this.

I like the idea of using a small window unit vs. cooling the entire house to avoid killing off the generator.
View Quote

@Skopsko07734

Lots of good advice in here. Depending on the size of your A/C unit, with a soft start, you can probably get by with the Predator.

Here’s how I set up this year. I’ve tested it, and I can run my A/C and water well at the same time. I just can’t start both at the same time. With power management, you can do a lot.

Here’s my thread. You don’t need the Generlink, an interlink or transfer switch would just as well.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Finally-Upgraded-My-Generator-Setup-To-Something-I-m-Happy-With/5-2556196/
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a 5 ton unit for my house. I use 2 window u it’s and 1 portable AC if we have a long outage. Easier on fuel and quieter than a large 10-12KW generator.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:49:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thallo] [#50]
Instead of a window unit has anyone thought about using a swamp cooler for temporary AC?
Page / 105
Top Top