Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2005 8:20:30 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me if the hand held radios like Midland and Motorola will transmit to each other or are they on different frequencies for different brands. Both brands show they have 22 channels.
Red
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#1]
i think those radios use an encoded frequency so that only the same models will work with each other. That is why they sell them in twos.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#2]
In a general sense, yes, the radios need not be the same brand.  To be more specific, you need to know the exact frequencies that each brand has assigned to each of the 22 channels.  Channel 22 of a CB radio is NOT the same as channel 22 of a 470 Mhz radio nor a marine radio.

You need more info!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#3]
It depends on the frequency band they are designed to operate on. If you are refering to FRS radios, they will recieve and transmit to any model or brand of radio designed to operate in the FRS band.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i think those radios use an encoded frequency so that only the same models will work with each other. That is why they sell them in twos.

Thats CTSS and XTSS, it's somewhat standardized and can usually be bypassed.

Flamingred

Send me the model numbers, Motorola & Midland makes a broad line of radios.

Do you know the band? BRS, MURS, FRS, GMRS........?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#5]
reply sent
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#6]

I just got a Sportsman's Guide catalog in the mail today and saw they are selling a set of Midland 5W GMRS Radios for $70.  I'd been thinking lately of getting some radios for my BoB but wasn't too familiar with the types out there.  Not familiar with the Midland name either.  Is this make/model any good?  Is this a decent price for them?

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:07:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Midland has a very good reputation!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:17:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Do a web search for your local Amateur Radio club and get your license
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I've done a lot of of checking and found all brands of the little handheld GMRS radios transmit in the same frequencie Range 462.5625-462.7250. The FCC has only OK'ed this range for this type of radio. I ordered the set out of the Sportsmans Guide. Hope they work good in the Alaska terrain.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#10]
FYI: GMRS and FRS (and MURS and BRS) radios have mandatory channels. The carrier frequency and the modulation type (FM) is standardized, if I remember right, not all are narrowband (NB) @ 12.5KHz, I think you can get away with 25kHz on a few, but no issue as any of the common of the shelf radios are all NB.  

As long as you know your dealing with GMRS across two different brands, the only kung foo is that privacy code thingy and popular radios have followed a non-standard.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#11]
My Midland pair communicate with my 2 Motorolas and Audiovox radios, no sweat.

The place you should be prepared for disapointment is in the range dept. The FRS radios are sold as "up to 2 mile" range.  3/4 mile is more likely.
Some of the GMRS units are claiming"up to 12" mile range. I get about a bare 3 miles, with crummy readability at that range. This is over  more or less normal midwest terrain, not flat but no big hills either.

Don in Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top