Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:38:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Simple question. I've got a $40 Chinese radio, no licence & an itchy transmit finger.
Who is coming to shoot my dog?
Why should I pay for the priviledge of talking on a radio?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Just a small question and comment back.
Do you have a cell phone? Do you pay to use your cell phone?
If so...
Then you already are paying for the privilege to talk on a radio. That said the only money you have to pay to be legal on a ham radio is for the sitting at the test(s) and for that it is normally around $18. That's a lot cheaper than a cell phone service.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:40:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And they wonder why it is a dying industry/hobby or whatever.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We won't shoot you dog, but we will hunt you down and rat your ass out to the FCC. Your $40.00 radio may cost you just a bit more in fines. The ham community is very adept at tracking down trespassers.

Here is just one recent example for you to ponder.

FCC Issues $10,000 Fine to Missouri Man for Unlicensed Operation on 14.312 MHz

03/08/2013

On February 25, the FCC issued a Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture (NAL) in the amount of $10,000 to Jared A. Bruegman, ex-KC0IQN, of Bolivar, Missouri. The FCC said that Bruegman “apparently and willfully violated Section 301 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended by operating an unlicensed radio transmitter on the frequency 14.312 MHz in Bolivar, Missouri.” Bruegman -- who does not currently hold an Amateur Radio license -- was operating in the phone portion of the 20 meter band that is assigned to the Amateur Radio Service on a primary basis; his Amateur Radio license expired in 2010. As a former Technician class licensee, he did not have privileges to operate in that portion of the 20 meter band when he held an Amateur Radio license.

Last I heard and have seen is it growing. I keep seeing people taking the tests. Matter of fact a high school in my area just started a ham club and 30 students have signed up to start learning to become amateur radio users.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:41:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It is 15 dollars to take the test (you can take just the Tech test or the first two or even all three, still 15 bucks), the license you get is valid for 10 years from the date of issuance.

The license works out to a buck fifty a year, hardly a big profit driver for the government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It is 15 dollars to take the test (you can take just the Tech test or the first two or even all three, still 15 bucks), the license you get is valid for 10 years from the date of issuance.

The license works out to a buck fifty a year, hardly a big profit driver for the government.
You can find free exam sessions sometimes too.  It's also free to renew every 10 years.  The longer you have your license, the closer to zero the per-year-average of your initial test fee approaches.

That 10-15 bucks for the exam... That's not a 10-15 bucks for the Feds, it's half to reimburse the volunteers who administer the exams for their travel expenses and the other half is for paper handling, etc

Quoted:
Lol seriously, lets say you find the house. Then what? FCC no knock warrant? Highly unlikely
I think that's actually pretty close to how it works.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:42:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thats assuming the person keeps it up LONG enough, a few times hit and run. You boys can suck it

ETA: If i wanted to broadcast on a radio, i'd be over on QRZ.com practicing for a test
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get fucking real, explain to me how someone is going to come find someone else, on a street of houses. Then call the FCC with no absolute proof and magically the FCC squad car is going to show up at that house. Sorry, Mr. FCC  i don't have any idea what you're talking about. HAM radio? No, i did have some ham sandwiches last week. Hell, it might not even be the person living in the house.

Foxhunting, look it up, then the FCC drags out their spectrum analyzing van that can pin point transmission to within less than a foot. Like I said, you really have to piss them off, but if you do, look out.

Thats assuming the person keeps it up LONG enough, a few times hit and run. You boys can suck it

ETA: If i wanted to broadcast on a radio, i'd be over on QRZ.com practicing for a test

Or use radioexam.org that is a great site also.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:43:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What's the point of breaking squelch a few times? To who? To what purpose? Just to fuck with everyone else? Troll-like?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get fucking real, explain to me how someone is going to come find someone else, on a street of houses. Then call the FCC with no absolute proof and magically the FCC squad car is going to show up at that house. Sorry, Mr. FCC  i don't have any idea what you're talking about. HAM radio? No, i did have some ham sandwiches last week. Hell, it might not even be the person living in the house.

Foxhunting, look it up, then the FCC drags out their spectrum analyzing van that can pin point transmission to within less than a foot. Like I said, you really have to piss them off, but if you do, look out.

What's the point of breaking squelch a few times? To who? To what purpose? Just to fuck with everyone else? Troll-like?

And "is the frequency busy"? He may just talk and no one will even hear.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:45:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Guys, op is a troll here, and is saying he wants to troll the amateur radio bands. Hasn't posted since the original, stop feeding it, it will die...
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:48:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I will premise the following by stating I really have no understanding of the whole HAM radio thing.

I Have always been confused on why one must pay in order to get on a radio and try to contact someone on the other side of the world.

I mean it sounds like it could be a fun hobby, however I really am confused on the whole pay for permission thing.
View Quote

You only pay for the sitting of the test(s). That is normally only around $18, a lot cheaper than a monthly cell phone (aka radio transceiver) service bill.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:48:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Guys, op is a troll here, and is saying he wants to troll the amateur radio bands. Hasn't posted since the original, stop feeding it, it will die...
View Quote

Maybe, but the last GD ham thread got several dozen new licensees.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:53:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Really!  You do know that there are more Hams now than at any other time in history, right?

Vulcan94
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We won't shoot you dog, but we will hunt you down and rat your ass out to the FCC. Your $40.00 radio may cost you just a bit more in fines. The ham community is very adept at tracking down trespassers.

Here is just one recent example for you to ponder.

FCC Issues $10,000 Fine to Missouri Man for Unlicensed Operation on 14.312 MHz

03/08/2013

On February 25, the FCC issued a Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture (NAL) in the amount of $10,000 to Jared A. Bruegman, ex-KC0IQN, of Bolivar, Missouri. The FCC said that Bruegman “apparently and willfully violated Section 301 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended by operating an unlicensed radio transmitter on the frequency 14.312 MHz in Bolivar, Missouri.” Bruegman -- who does not currently hold an Amateur Radio license -- was operating in the phone portion of the 20 meter band that is assigned to the Amateur Radio Service on a primary basis; his Amateur Radio license expired in 2010. As a former Technician class licensee, he did not have privileges to operate in that portion of the 20 meter band when he held an Amateur Radio license.

Really!  You do know that there are more Hams now than at any other time in history, right?

Vulcan94

more total lic or higher % of population. big difference
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 4:55:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that's a good thing. I haven't been on the air in many years, but just ordered one of the cheapo Chinese units to try. My grandfather was an old time ham and he was proud when I got my license. He passed 4 years ago and I now have his call sign, kinda neat having a 1x4 sign, kind of feel like I don't deserve it...
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:00:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:04:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will premise the following by stating I really have no understanding of the whole HAM radio thing.

I Have always been confused on why one must pay in order to get on a radio and try to contact someone on the other side of the world.

I mean it sounds like it could be a fun hobby, however I really am confused on the whole pay for permission thing.

Actually, the government does not get a penny of the exam fee.  The exam fee is split 50%-50% between the CVE (Contact Volunteer Examiner, the person in charge of test sessions)

http://www.w5yi.org/page.php?id=210

and the VEC (Volunteer Examiner Coordinator,

http://www.w5yi.org/page.php?id=19

an organization that oversees the process and does the paperwork with the FCC for your license)  to cover expenses in giving the exam and processing the paperwork.  This includes everything from gas money to travel to the test session (and I've traveled out of town many times to administer test sessions) to the printing and postage costs, pencils, to coffee and donuts.  CVEs are not getting rich doing this.

So, it's these guys that volunteer their time and energy that get the $14 (or $15) test fee, not the government.  The government does not get a dime of that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:06:37 AM EDT
[#13]

While I fully disagree with the OP and what he's proposing doing, I do agree that, at least in my area, ham is populated by crotchety old men and is dying. I haven't touched my radios in 2 years. I was so into learning, so wanted to have fun on ham, but alas. Way too cliquish, no one will talk to you much unless they do know you, and most of the conversations seem centered around diabeetus, rascal scooter repair, anal polyps. Very depressing. I'm still licensed and have all my gear for emergencies, I love radios and radio comms, but have pretty much given up on this being a fun hobby
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:07:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Simple question. I've got a $40 Chinese radio, no licence & an itchy transmit finger.

View Quote

I have been a ham for 17 years.
I have heard this happen.
you will be quickly identified, triangulated and charged.

radio is even less "anonymous" then the internet
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:09:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

LOL... get an understanding of how ham operates. Yes, they'll find you and turn you in if you're unlicensed. Someone from the FCC WILL show up and demand to examine your license. No license? $$$$$$ in fines.

Ham radio self-polices and co-operates with the FCC. Ham isn't CB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny avatar for the foxhunters... LOL

I've spent all the hours reading that $45 thread.

I've known a couple of hams in my life, both old men with nothing better to do. I wouldn't try it.

Well, maybe a couple times, but if you interfere they will find you. It's not difficult.

Lol, and then what? Call the radio police? No proof, i'd tell em to eat a dick

LOL... get an understanding of how ham operates. Yes, they'll find you and turn you in if you're unlicensed. Someone from the FCC WILL show up and demand to examine your license. No license? $$$$$$ in fines.

Mine are exclusively for SHTF scenarios.

In a couple imaginary outcomes I doubt there will be any more FCC to complain to.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:13:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

as far as your concerned, we'll just be calling it witch craft
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:15:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Good question OP.  I was wondering the same thing, although as of right now, the only time I would transmit would be in an emrgency.  Unfortunately, I too bought one of those Baofeng radios and I can't even figure out how to HEAR someone talk on it, let alone transmit.  

For those of you in the know, where can I find out how to program this thing or what frequencies I might try in my area?  It didn't come with much of an instruction manual and Google has been useless, as I really don't know what I'm looking for.  

I just bought it for emergencies, but it's not going to do much good if I can't figure out how to even listen and on what frequencies.  

I think I remember hearing something about a repeater???

If I can figure this thing out, I may start working on a license.  We'll see.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:21:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

While I fully disagree with the OP and what he's proposing doing, I do agree that, at least in my area, ham is populated by crotchety old men and is dying. I haven't touched my radios in 2 years. I was so into learning, so wanted to have fun on ham, but alas. Way too cliquish, no one will talk to you much unless they do know you, and most of the conversations seem centered around diabeetus, rascal scooter repair, anal polyps. Very depressing. I'm still licensed and have all my gear for emergencies, I love radios and radio comms, but have pretty much given up on this being a fun hobby
View Quote

Ham radio is kind of like the internet, there are parts of it for everyone, and there are places where the less advanced crowd hang. The ease of getting a license has brought in more people, who know less about it. You just have to find what you're interested in, being in an active area helps as well so you'll have a higher pool with more possibilities of younger, less interested in the weather and illness, crowd. You may need to step up into higher licenses to do what you want to do as well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:25:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Good question OP.  I was wondering the same thing, although as of right now, the only time I would transmit would be in an emrgency.  Unfortunately, I too bought one of those Baofeng radios and I can't even figure out how to HEAR someone talk on it, let alone transmit.  

For those of you in the know, where can I find out how to program this thing or what frequencies I might try in my area?  It didn't come with much of an instruction manual and Google has been useless, as I really don't know what I'm looking for.  

I just bought it for emergencies, but it's not going to do much good if I can't figure out how to even listen and on what frequencies.  

View Quote

We have a HAM radio section here. Lots of info in the stickies and plenty of really smart people to answer your questions.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:28:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you have your general ticket and a HF radio? Tuesday night ARFNet. 0130Z Wednesday-(9:30 p.m. EDT on Tuesday) on or around 3.898mhz.  It's generally active in the winter where we ritualistically gather around our transceivers, hoping to get a touch of warmth from the tubes and transistors.

Thread here- http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/639821_Tuesday_evening_80_meter_SSB_net_.html

ETA: Fixed spelling error.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:32:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Outdoor forum -> Ham radio forum -> threads on programming Baofeng ham radio  
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:35:36 AM EDT
[#22]

30 years ago, or more, it was discovered that individual transmitters had a unique signature in the signal just from the mechanics of keying it up. Presumably like a rise time wave form. Somewhere in AZ there was a guy interfering with a repeater while using a sound making device and running mobile at the time. That didn't save him either.
Rob
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:37:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Do you have your general ticket and a HF radio? Tuesday night ARFNet. 0130Z Wednesday-(9:30 p.m. EDT on Tuesday) on or around 3.898mhz.  It's generally active in the winter where we ritualistically gather around our transceivers, hoping to get a touch of warmth from the tubes and transistors.

Thread here- http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/639821_Tuesday_evening_80_meter_SSB_net_.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not yet. But, maybe by winter time I will. I got my feet wet on 10 meter with just my tech and going across country. Was pretty neat so maybe I need to upgrade.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:39:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd be willing to bet that you'd get caught.  Just get the license.  It's easy and cheap.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:44:36 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Actually, OP please dont.  Id prefer that megadouches dont even get licensed, much less get on the air
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:44:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:44:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
I never paid for my license.  Laurel VEC FTW!

Just takes knowledge to get a license, and I suppose if you consider learning something to be "paying" then, well... *shrug*

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:50:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks Grasshopper and hsracer.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#29]
If you're transmitting simplex with a handheld, most people probably wouldn't even know as the transmit range is rather low.
If you're hitting a repeater & tying it up with asshattery, then people WILL be pissed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:56:29 AM EDT
[#30]
ok stupid question  How do they know if you are licensed or not. If you follow protocol that is used and make up a call sign, how would anyone know you are fake?

Now a short story. 20 or so years ago my cable company shows up at my door and says the FCC flew over my house and i am leaking RF from one of my cable outlets. He then took a portable antenae and went around the house until he found the outlet with a loose connections.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:56:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:57:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Why?...
In my area there have never been any problems as long as I have been involved with amateur radio which has been about 4 years. In fact I have met many like minded folks via Ham radio. It also gives my wife and I a way to communicate (via repeater) when I am gone for a week or so hunting where there is no cell service.
We are both licensed...  My wife spent a couple weeks going over the info and passed the test...  I just don't understand? Its so easy to get licensed even if you are just a little interested give it a try...  A lot of like minded networking can be done and it is a great tool for SHTF or any situation...  Would you buy a new AR load the mag shoot it in the air once then put it in the closet for when SHTF?  That's the same as buying a radio programing it, clicking the TX then stashing it for SHTF.
If your not interested in Ham radio, that's fine, there are over 2 million operators in the world... Ham radio is not for everyone.  
Its not dieing, its increasing, we have tons of new hams in my area and new ones keying up all the time!

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:01:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've known a couple of hams in my life, both old men with nothing better to do. I wouldn't try it.

Well, maybe a couple times, but if you interfere they will find you. It's not difficult.

Lol, and then what? Call the radio police? No proof, i'd tell em to eat a dick

why?
why should we be required to get a license to broadcast on public radio waves. sure, if you interfere with stations that pay for the wave they are on, then go after them, but talking on a un used frequency? for fuck sake. bunch of nanny staters
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:02:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

All the "kids" doing this have crossed over into radio/computer synchronization, from what I understand.  Using HAM frequencies to create a de facto, wireless internet.  That's the hotness around here, anyway.  

Back when I was a young'in, we called it RTTY...don't know what it's referred to now.

I'm thinking about getting back into it...but it's been 33 years.  I'm pretty sure my license is expired.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:02:55 AM EDT
[#35]
There's always a couple people who think it's cute to fuck things up for everyone.

To you guys contemplating it, let us know when you do it.

It will be fun to see just how long it takes for you to get caught.

I became a believer in HAM radio when I saw how much good those guys did during Katrina and its aftermath.  It was the only form of communication that worked.  I could write several pages of stories about how useful these guys were, which is why I decided to get my ticket.

LC
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:03:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm a troll?

Fox hunting?

FCC no knocks?

Old men with vans full of thousands in radios and a rabid sense of the self righteous?

I've seen less emotion expended in religion threads.

Never fear. You've talked me back from the edge. Fingers off the button. Data collated & unintended sociology experiment complete.

All your hams are yours.

I prefer girls anyway (beat up smiley face goes here)

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
ok stupid question  How do they know if you are licensed or not. If you follow protocol that is used and make up a call sign, how would anyone know you are fake?

Now a short story. 20 or so years ago my cable company shows up at my door and says the FCC flew over my house and i am leaking RF from one of my cable outlets. He then took a portable antenae and went around the house until he found the outlet with a loose connections.  
View Quote

You can look up call signs on the FCC/ ULS data base.  If you are operating local comms and are using a local call sign, some one is probably going to know who that persons and know your not him or her...  If you try to use a non local call and some one attempts to log a contact and the owner of the true call advises no such contact was made, at that point the operators are going to know your not operating on a true call...  
If you know the protocol why make up a call?  Why not just get one? Its pretty easy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:04:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well, maybe a couple times, but if you interfere they will find you. It's not difficult
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, maybe a couple times, but if you interfere they will find you. It's not difficult

yup.. we are pretty serious about radio.. and I ain't all that old...
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:04:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you also have to be broadcasting when they are out hunting for you.
the odds of that happening are slim to none.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:10:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Either by your lack of identifying, which is required, or your use of a made up/false/someone else's call sign. Using someone else's valid call sign might get you a little more time, but things would quickly unravel.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:11:23 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Lots of people will say that HAM's  will be the top form of communication during a SHTF situation.

If that's the case, learn the basics of how to operate a HAM on google  & when shit does go down you won't have to worry about licenses, fines & all that shite. [BD

I would like to know how to use one just for the sake of knowing how to use one.
View Quote

I've got to refer to my notes whenever I want to make a change on my FT-270.  They are a lot more complicated that I thought they were.

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:13:28 AM EDT
[#42]
I  already have the study guide, I just need the time to sit and read it. I have no intentions of operating illegal, just curious how people would know weather I was licensed or not.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:13:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cable RF leakage is real, but how long did it take for them to notice and find it?
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cable-signal-leakage

While it is illegal to transmit without a licenses, if your not interfering with other transmissions, or doing it all the time, its unlikely you will be caught.  Even then, most of the stories I have read about people getting caught, involve them admitting to it, or being caught in the process.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I  already have the study guide, I just need the time to sit and read it. I have no intentions of operating illegal, just curious how people would know weather I was licensed or not.
View Quote

Well if you don't have a call sign that is a dead give-a-way.    Toss your call into a net and see if 5 people don't look you up on QRZ almost immediately.  

People know.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:20:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm a troll?

Fox hunting?

FCC no knocks?

Old men with vans full of thousands in radios and a rabid sense of the self righteous?

Never fear. You've talked me back from the edge. Fingers off the button. Data collated & unintended sociology experiment complete.

All your hams are yours.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a troll?

Fox hunting?

FCC no knocks?

All your hams are yours.

Ah, what an edgy, unreconstructed rebel you must be.  Go ahead and do it, I for one would love to see the outcome.

LC
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:28:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ah, what an edgy, unreconstructed rebel you must be.  Go ahead and do it, I for one would love to see the outcome.

LC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a troll?

Fox hunting?

FCC no knocks?

All your hams are yours.

LC

the max is 10 yrs and a 10k fine..
but don't worry, Holder will let ya off with just the fine..lol
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't know how long my cable was leaking. Cable guy said the FCC flew over the county and tagged my neighborhood with a leak. the cable company had a truck go around my subdivision and located it to my house. then he took the porable antenae and went around the house until he found the loose connection. No problem at all, I was stunned that a loose connection would transmit enough RF to be picked up by aircraft. Nothing illegal being done, he said routine for the FCC to do this.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I don't know how long my cable was leaking. Cable guy said the FCC flew over the county and tagged my neighborhood with a leak. the cable company had a truck go around my subdivision and located it to my house. then he took the porable antenae and went around the house until he found the loose connection. No problem at all, I was stunned that a loose connection would transmit enough RF to be picked up by aircraft. Nothing illegal being done, he said routine for the FCC to do this.
View Quote

We had this happen in our neighborhood once as well. Apparently some of the signals in the coax run at the same frequency as aircraft comms. Not a problem if it stays in the cable.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:48:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

We had this happen in our neighborhood once as well. Apparently some of the signals in the coax run at the same frequency as aircraft comms. Not a problem if it stays in the cable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

around here the leakage freq is 109.275mHz...
plug it into a handheld and go for a walk. when you get close enough to peg the signal meter, remove the antenna to zero in on the leak.

easy-peasy

ETA.. BTW, I worked as an FCC Consulting Engineer for about 27 yrs...
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
People that do this remind me of sixteen year olds in daddy's pickup talking shit on CB.  

Seriously, getting a license isn't hard at all.  And if you want to troll go to YouTube.com and have your way with the comments section.
View Quote

The test is easy. I'm licensed. There's rarely any use for the radio if you don't DX or talk about the weather or your failing health.
Do what you want, this is one "HAM" who couldn't care less.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top