Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2001 8:11:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Now for the Wal Marts. They ran my friend out of business. But I doubt they will close down soon. Unless we fight China.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#2]
good for you.  sometimes the small guy wins over the weilding giant.  i too have a small family business and we have outlasted alot of flashes in the pan, and some giants in the field so i know how you feel.

all the best
steve
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The mail order place US Cavalry is out of business?
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anybody remember when Wal Mart's big thing was that all their stuff was made in the us?  Now it's an accepted fact that 90% of it is made in China.  Bastards.  [:(!]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#5]
G.S,
I know Clinton's policy was he would rather destroy it than let Americans buy USGI, have you heard if this policy will change?
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 4:06:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Good for you!!!

[red][size=4] P.R.K.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 6:14:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#10]
US Cav didn't sell much "surplus" it was mostly over-priced brand-new stuff, wasn't it?

Garand, where's your store located?  Fayetteville?

How do you buy a surplus Humvee?

Link Posted: 4/28/2001 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Congrat's Garand Shooter. I think consumers are starting to finally realize that a lower price from a national chain isn't worth the great customer service you usually receive at a Mom & Pop type store. I hope this is an indication that the days of the "super mall's" are over..but I doubt it.
View Quote

Oh pleeeeeeeeeeeease let Striker be right.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#13]
So how do I get my catalog, G Man?
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#14]
What I like to do is go to Home Depot, find the one guy who speaks English well and knows where stuff is, handcuff him to me until I find everything I need, then reread War & Peace or Les Miserables while I'm waiting to check out (good idea to not drink any water for 3 hours beforehand and also have had the preemptive enema so you don't lose your place in line), then ignore the idiot receipt-checker who saw me in line but thinks I stole it all or have a deal with the checker to not ring it all up.   Then out to the truck (the one with all the dents just about the same height as the top of a cart) and see if I can get out of the lot with out some granny mowing me down.

Seriously, the neghborhood or even Ace franchise is the way to go.  Amazing what they can pack in there.  Plus since the people HELPING you are often the ones that put the stuff on the shelf, they actually know where it is.  Even what it's for.  How to use it, too.

Exceptions to the small-operator-is-better rule:

1.  The guys in it to stroke their ego (place called "Ultimate Fly Shop" comes to mind), who know everthing (legends in their own mind), the ones who put down customers, probably learned customer skills running a few tables at the gun show.

2.  The ones who are strictly in it for the money, drive some ostentatious foreign POS.

3.[rant]  The ones who forgot CHINA IS THE ENEMY. I've looked in 4 neighborhood stores for a spatula made somewhere else.[/rant]

[red][size=4] P.R.K.

Link Posted: 4/28/2001 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top