Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/11/2004 7:10:59 AM EDT
Ever since Andrew in 1992 which I survived by the grace of God, I tend to take these storms more seriously. The aftermath of a serious hurricane is a SHTF situation when your area is hit hard enough.
Keep an eye out, this could get hairy.

Twin tropical trouble
8:42 A.M. ET Wed.,Aug.11,2004
M. Ressler, Senior Meteorologist, The Weather Channel

www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/

HS1

Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:12:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Isabel put my power out for 6 days...  
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Fucking bitch...
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:22:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Being in the National Guard, if this goes down, I will be in the thick of it within 24 hours or so.  I will be sure to take lots of pics if I go anywhere.

Since I got in in 97, I have yet to go on a hurricane deployment, but I have heard some incredible stories from the older guys in the unit.  Getting fired on by someone with a crossbow, and returning fire, people carrying weapons to the water line, because things were getting that hairy, etc.

Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:24:10 AM EDT
[#5]
In '92, property protection and the chaotic aftermath of Andrew, provided me with some very interesting SHTF looter inspired scenario's. An 870 and maglight didn't leave my side day or night for a week after we got slammed. A pricey neighborhood surrounded by very low-income family homes (my attempt at being PC), led to nightly encounters with some nefarious characters. Didn't sleep much and worked out 10-12 hours a day with a chainsaw for cash. A nice change of pace, for sure.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Im prepared.................oh wait...........lemme check something................DAMNIT ...I need more TWINKIES. brb.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:56:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Having just moved down here this spring, I am by no means prepared for a long term power outage or loss of fresh water.

I had given up months ago trying to find kerosene in this state - now the stores are plumb out of all sorts of fuel.

Oh well, my camp stove will run on unleaded gasoline - so at least I can still cook food.

Where the heck do you southerners buy Kerosene for heaters, lanterns, stoves, etc?  Or do you just not use such things down here?
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Advisories

Bonnie

Charlie

Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 8:03:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Having just moved down here this spring, I am by no means prepared for a long term power outage or loss of fresh water.

I had given up months ago trying to find kerosene in this state - now the stores are plumb out of all sorts of fuel.

Oh well, my camp stove will run on unleaded gasoline - so at least I can still cook food.

Where the heck do you southerners buy Kerosene for heaters, lanterns, stoves, etc?  Or do you just not use such things down here?

We'll have to get you edjumacated on such things. By the way, when are you going to get up this way for a visit?

Aren't you way out on the east coast?

I posted in the hometown section when I first moved here - nobody seems to be way out in my section of the panhandle.  The cancelled shoot north of Tallahassee looked promising - but it was, well, cancelled and all.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#13]
The good thing is that all my camping stuff will take JP8.  That shouldn't be too hard to get if things get hairy enough for a guard mobilization.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Let's hope that Charley (love that name!) gets beat up coming across the mountains of western Cuba. That, and a little wind shear from the approaching front and maybe SW FL will be spared a major hit. I'm on the east coast...doesn't look for now like it's going to impact us very badly, but you never know.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Switch to propane. I always stock up on charcoal and a few large coolers with block ice.
Canned food, bottled water and gasoline. Gas if you have a chainsaw will make you bookoo cash after the storm. The rest is a crapshoot/waiting game if the hurricane hits hard enough. Prep now!

HS1
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I have an honest to goodness WWll bunker to bug into if it gets bad. Plus, our hanger is rated to 100mph winds.
I'm not too worried though right now. It will have to cross a lot of land to get to my house. If it goes ashore around Ft Myers as a cat1 it'll be OK I think. I do have some work to do today and tomorrow.
I'm gonna go buy a kitty cage today.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Just heard a blurp on the radio that Jeb has declared "emergency" status ?  
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#18]
It seems that my pic gets updated every hour.

Get ready now people. Learn from my mistake in 1992.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#19]
PARTY!

Link Posted: 8/11/2004 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
In '92, property protection and the chaotic aftermath of Andrew, provided me with some very interesting SHTF looter inspired scenario's. An 870 and maglight didn't leave my side day or night for a week after we got slammed. A pricey neighborhood surrounded by very low-income family homes (my attempt at being PC), led to nightly encounters with some nefarious characters. Didn't sleep much and worked out 10-12 hours a day with a chainsaw for cash. A nice change of pace, for sure.

HS1

I saw the same thing happen in Franklin VA after hurricane Floyd came through with major flooding in 99.  That brought out the best  and the worst in people, and we saw plenty of both.  They brought most of the State Police into town for curfew enforcement but there wasn't enough law to go around out in the County.  A lot of roads and bridges were out and that made the situation worse since mobility was so restricted.  Those who were equipped with campstoves, canned goods, bottled water, flashlights, battery powered radios, and shotgun shells were glad of it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#21]
LoL..i jus came from grocery store to get some BBQ stuff, there were ppl buying the same type of stuff andl lots and lots of liquor. I heard the term HurrincaneParty used quick often. lol
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Whoever came up with the names screwed up, should have been Bonnie & Clyde .

Generator: Check

Ammo: Check

Chain Saws: Check

Fuel: Negative, to do list.

Ham Radio: Check

4WD x 2: Check

Tractor & Loader: Check

Cash: Check

Cooking fuel: Check

Deer, squirrel, turkey: Check

New Dade County Rated Shingle Roof: Check

Link Posted: 8/11/2004 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Switch to propane. I always stock up on charcoal and a few large coolers with block ice.
Canned food, bottled water and gasoline. Gas if you have a chainsaw will make you bookoo cash after the storm. The rest is a crapshoot/waiting game if the hurricane hits hard enough. Prep now!

HS1

+1 on the propane.

Oh, and check Publix for Dry Ice.  If the power goes out, put your fridge stuff in coolers and dry ice on top.  That way your stuff doesn't get soaked or float around in the cooler.

If the power stays up, throw the dry ice in the pool and have a cool-looking foggy backyard.  

ETA - I just got a second chainsaw at lunch - refurb Poulan 18" for $87 at Sear's Outlet. w00t.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I will offer my services for secure firearm storage for anyone wanting to get their toys out of danger.  Of course, they'll all be played with every day to avoid 'neglect' and so they won't get homesick.  

Ok, seriously guys, the fertilizer looks like its about to hit the ventilator down there, and I wish ya'll the best luck.  Regardless of what you decide to do, stay or leave, BE SAFE!
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Charley is slowing down... this could be bad.  This could give him more time to build and then slam into us.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Charley is slowing down... this could be bad.  This could give him more time to build and then slam into us.  

You one of  the PSU or the Clw Air guys?
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#27]
A good source of weather data including radar etc. is here: NWS Link
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You one of  the PSU or the Clw Air guys?

Nope... Ive been out for about 4 years.. I always say dont forget where you came from though.  I made MK2 ( E-5) while I was in.

Im really close to Pt. Charllote.... thats the harbor it predicted to just pass under..... sucks eh?

Ive got two gennies lined up.  A bunch of plywood for the windows and charcoal and gas.... oh and some 00 buck just for grins!  Ive got two really huge pines in the back that look really old.... I hope I dont have a suprise visit from them.

Good luck sun lovers.... Keep in touch as we may very well need eachother!

-AR

Link Posted: 8/11/2004 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Upgraded to Hurricane status !  

Link Posted: 8/11/2004 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#30]
If you are in Florida or have friends and family there I would recommend lots of prayer.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Charley is chugging away at 25 mph. This sucker is traveling 600 miles per day!

Please take this seriously and prepare accordingly.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Apalachicola here. Its headed right for us.

I got my chain saw and flash light ready.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Charley is chugging away at 25 mph. This sucker is traveling 600 miles per day!

Please take this seriously and prepare accordingly.

HS1

Hopfully it will not strengthen much more due to the high speed.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I found a great website this afternoon - www.wunderground.com.  I will not be going back to my old weather resources.

Y'all peninsula types better hope Cuba slows Charley down - this Charley may surf after all!

OK, bad joke.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
These are my favorites for hurricane info....

www.weatherunderground.com/tropical/

That goes to the same site as I linked - thanks for the other two.  I wish I would have had that weather underground link when I lived in Korea - most sites only focus in threats to the US.

The Weather channel website SUCKS acrtoss the board.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That goes to the same site as I linked - thanks for the other two.  I wish I would have had that weather underground link when I lived in Korea - most sites only focus in threats to the US.

The Weather channel website SUCKS acrtoss the board.

Oops

I probably shouldn't have included that odd last one either.  One of the folks that maintains that site is a pal and one of the meteorologists here at the Cape though so I see how close his predictions are too (just to give him a dose when he's wrong).
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#39]
DAMN..........they said that certain Florida areas will see two hits in 24 hrs.
I lived in Brevard county for over 10 years ,cant say I miss it at all.
Had alot of friends that went to work Homestead after Andrew hit and they had nothing good to say about the .............well................'less fortunate' locals there.Lots of looting and general chaos for weeks.

SERIOUSLY !!
You folks keep your powder dry down there and best of luck to all of you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HS1

We actually crewed up and ran security in my uncles neighborhood (Homestead) until NG was up and runnning. Took a couple people out of houses they didn't belong in.

Tell me how you operated please. In case it needs to be done here. Actually, I know everyone in my hood so I could tell if they dont belong right off.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm ready for it
I know what my neighbors have in their garage
I have guns and ammo... they don't

just kidding
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I have an honest to goodness WWll bunker to bug into if it gets bad. Plus, our hanger is rated to 100mph winds.
I'm not too worried though right now. It will have to cross a lot of land to get to my house. If it goes ashore around Ft Myers as a cat1 it'll be OK I think. I do have some work to do today and tomorrow.
I'm gonna go buy a kitty cage today.

HA, Thats where I am. I should pick up an extra umbrella..
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#44]
I leave tomarow to drive down there.  I'll get there after the storms have passed.  Hope all the roads are clear when I get there.  

Anyone know if there is another one behind Charley or not?  I'd be nice to know what I'm driving into.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucking bitch...

Isabel put my power out for 10 days and I don't live out in the boonies either!
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Isabel caught everyone by suprise. She came right after Floyd wich skirted by us and sent the biggest surf I have ridden since 1992.

Isabel was a lesson in un-preparedness.

Thank god Andrew was just south of me. I was in N. Broward at the time.

I have always lived east of the intercoastel and now I live on it. I just got a new boat (31' Fountain) and I am starting to get worried.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#47]

Correction; Irene came right after Floyd.

Isabel gave us the swell that I blew out my knee on. Wore a full leg brace for 4 months.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#48]
You Florida folks get ready to play neighborhood commando for a few days.  I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#49]
well, despite my location stating california, i am actually in jacksonville , fl now, just never got around to changing my profile cuz i wasn;t posting much.

anyway, it looks like charlie will  hit  around fort meyers friday, then zip across florida, exiting around st. augustine.

as far as links, when i was in the carribean for 2 years, the wunderground was what i used to keep track of stuff coming across the atlantic. they use to  be affilliated with  umich.edu, but went independent a while back.

anyway, as far as other good links, try these

the geos satellite server
has images from the geosynchronous satelites

the noaa operational significant event imagery site
noaa's satellite site that keeps track of current events AND PROCESSES THEM into really nice shots such as this one

ts bonnie and hur charlie 8/11/04
small 60k or  large 370k
or  their archives with images such as the path of  hurricane andrew '92 (warning 370k) or  isabell '03 (also 370k)
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 5:35:03 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
You Florida folks get ready to play neighborhood commando for a few days.  I'm jealous.

If it gets bad enough, we might have to call you in for help!

The thing I dont like about this area is that its been along time since any kind of major storm... ie... there are alot of loose trees, rotton trees, loose construction, delapitated houses and trailers... alot of schrapnel waiting to happen.  I look at FPL's power lines and I always see branches and limbs within inches and overhanging the powerlines.  Hope for the best... prepair for the worst.

_AR
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top