Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I love flying down the road...but people need to slow the fuck down in 'hoods. Kids, cats and dogs have families that will miss them when you plow into them at 45mph.

Anywho, HOA should be able to do as they want. Don't like it? Leave it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm torn. If you knowingly move into a neighborhood with an HOA, well... get ready. Some are pretty worthless, many heavy handed. I think this is the epitome of nit-picky heavy handed.  

As for living in a gated community with an HOA, security, guard posts... I'd say it depends on where you live. In a city/major suburb, I could see that as being pretty attractive, you home a stuff is protected at a higher level.

My HOA is worthless, my neighbor is a shithead, and the HOA hasn't/won't do anything about it.

There are positives and negatives to everything.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 8:32:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Issue all the tickets you want, HOA; I'm just gonna wipe my ass with them.  

An HOA, if they have the means and will, can cause a homeowner a whole lot of grief! The worst one is one with a lawyer on the board or at least 100% friendly and on the side of the HOA.

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 8:38:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

An HOA, if they have the means and will, can cause a homeowner a whole lot of grief! The worst one is one with a lawyer on the board or at least 100% friendly and on the side of the HOA.

Ayup.

Wipe your ass all you want, but the TP is expensive. You now have a lien on your house (or your friend's house, or your landlord's house, etc...).
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 8:38:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

<snip>

"It’s just a little bit overboard for a private community to be policing themselves,” one homeowner tells CBS Denver.

<snip>

Uhm... I think it's the other way around.  It's much better for a private community to police themselves.  Think about the laws we have to follow passed by "representatives" and bureacrats that many of us do not like.  You have much more voice in a private community like this.  

And if you don't like it... don't live there.  You do have a choice.

I don't like everything my HOA does, but most of it I agree with.  And if I do have a problem, I go to the meetings and make my voice heard.  Generally only 10 or so people show up, so each opinion counts for much more than in a general election.  Of course, my HOA is rather hands-off compared to the ones I read about on ARFCOM...

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Solution:  Find out address of HOA president.  Go to visit him, speeding.  Since you don't live there, he gets the ticket.  Have your friends do the same.

When he gets $10,000 in tickets, something tells me it will be suspended.

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Europeans have proven that an old tire and a road flare will solve this problem.

My HOA board of directors are all on that job to prevent this sort of shenanigan.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 8:47:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm surpised more have not done this. We get tons of requests to cite speeders in neighborhoods.

We do too. And the "Funny" part is that 9 out of ten speeders in a residential area are residents of either that subdivision, or of the municipality I work for and alot of them get highly bent when issued a citation for speeding in a residential area.

I find it especially ironic when I pull over the resident who called the alderman or the Chief ranting and raving about speeders in the neighborhood, and have to issue them a citatioon for speeding.

On topic...if its a private street...that's their decision.

Did that guy call in complaining about a teenager doing 50 in a 25 get ticketed for 29 in the neighborhood?

That would be a legit gripe.

No.
I'm pretty lenient for the most part.
Stop sign violations...if the vehicle's nose dips indicating the brakes have been applied, and the vehicle is not travelling at a visibly high rate of speed, no violation.
Its going be a very clear cut case of blowing a stop sign for me issue a citation on that.
Speeding in a residential area.....10 over the limit and your being issued a citation.
9 and under, no citation.
Non residential streets.....13 and over the limit, you're most likely getting a citation.

In the case of the resident calling about speeders...I stopped him for a stop sign violation, and he was issued one. he complained he was running late to work and was pissed. He sped off and I got him on Radar travelling 35 in a 20. I went after him and stopped him as he pulled into Starbucks....(no, he didnt work at Starbucks) and issued him a citation for speeding.
Yes, he was seriously pissed at that point.
I told him that the entire stop from his blowing the stop sign and speeding off to Starbucks was all on video and audio if decided he wanted to make a complaint for harrassment or appear in court later.

No formal complaint was issued...and I doubt he'll show up in court.

I dont issue citations to generate revenue. The city I work for gets more revenue from the sales taxes from the Target in our town than my entire department could generate by doing nothing more than issuing tickets all day long, 365 days a year.
And that's just one store in our town and we have many, many others that make as much if not more than Target.....

If the HOA is doing this to generate revenue...then I am against this.

If its to slow down speeders, then no problem whatsoever....

I'd bet this is to deter speeders. But I'd also bet that once the board of Directors of the HOA figures out they're generating revenue...they'll try to increase it to stop sign violations and up the fines as well.....
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Park in neighbors driveway profit
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

While that sounds cool and all, it really wouldn't do you any good if you lived in the HOA and had agreed to their rules. They've got all the leverage on you they need. And as I said above, if you're a business owner, you're going to have to decide between standing for your principles and wiping your ass, or potentially never being able to do any more business with anyone who lives there. Imagine owning a carpet cleaning or pizza delivery company and having to tell customers "I'm sorry, but I can't help you. I'm not allowed in your community anymore." And how would you feel if you invited your buddy over to your house for a BBQ, and when he got stopped for speeding he told the officer to he was going to wipe his ass with the citation, so the officer sent it to you instead? That guy probably wouldn't be your friend much longer..

I think it's interesting to see how many people here are pro-private sector and anti-government, yet when a private community takes action to protect its residents (usually at the residents' own request & done when the actual police will not assist), it's suddenly unacceptable. It's actually often a win-win situation for the residents. Many, if not most, of these people move into a gated HOA community due to a desire for increased personal security, even if its often more illusionary than real. By doing this, they get the direct benefit of addressing their traffic safety issues, and on top of it, they get the incidental benefit (and trust me, this is part of it, just like for municipalities) of using the fines collected to help fund the security budget, giving them more actual security presence and/or reducing the cost of the security portion of the HOA fees the residents have to pay.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They will put a lien on your home.

You will be wiping your ass in the bushes.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm surpised more have not done this. We get tons of requests to cite speeders in neighborhoods.

We do too. And the "Funny" part is that 9 out of ten speeders in a residential area are residents of either that subdivision, or of the municipality I work for and alot of them get highly bent when issued a citation for speeding in a residential area.

I find it especially ironic when I pull over the resident who called the alderman or the Chief ranting and raving about speeders in the neighborhood, and have to issue them a citatioon for speeding.

On topic...if its a private street...that's their decision.

Did that guy call in complaining about a teenager doing 50 in a 25 get ticketed for 29 in the neighborhood?

That would be a legit gripe.

No.
I'm pretty lenient for the most part.
Stop sign violations...if the vehicle's nose dips indicating the brakes have been applied, and the vehicle is not travelling at a visibly high rate of speed, no violation.
Its going be a very clear cut case of blowing a stop sign for me issue a citation on that.
Speeding in a residential area.....10 over the limit and your being issued a citation.
9 and under, no citation.
Non residential streets.....13 and over the limit, you're most likely getting a citation.

In the case of the resident calling about speeders...I stopped him for a stop sign violation, and he was issued one. he complained he was running late to work and was pissed. He sped off and I got him on Radar travelling 35 in a 20. I went after him and stopped him as he pulled into Starbucks....(no, he didnt work at Starbucks) and issued him a citation for speeding.
Yes, he was seriously pissed at that point.
I told him that the entire stop from his blowing the stop sign and speeding off to Starbucks was all on video and audio if decided he wanted to make a complaint for harrassment or appear in court later.

No formal complaint was issued...and I doubt he'll show up in court.

I dont issue citations to generate revenue. The city I work for gets more revenue from the sales taxes from the Target in our town than my entire department could generate by doing nothing more than issuing tickets all day long, 365 days a year.
And that's just one store in our town and we have many, many others that make as much if not more than Target.....

If the HOA is doing this to generate revenue...then I am against this.

If its to slow down speeders, then no problem whatsoever....

I'd bet this is to deter speeders. But I'd also bet that once the board of Directors of the HOA figures out they're generating revenue...they'll try to increase it to stop sign violations and up the fines as well.....

Lol

That's great.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Good luck enforcing that.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#15]

I would drive 3 MPH.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ayup.

Wipe your ass all you want, but the TP is expensive. You now have a lien on your house (or your friend's house, or your landlord's house, etc...).

HOA will still have to go to court for that...speeding tickets would be an easy contest.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ayup.

HOA will still have to go to court for that...speeding tickets would be an easy contest.

If they contract it out to a photo enforcement contractor there is no dispute. You're on camera commiting the violation. You agreed to the terms of the HOA in writing at the time you bought the home.

"Guilty, pay the fine. Next case."

Pretty cut and dried.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
People go 90 through Non HOA neighborhoods like they do in HOA neighborhoods. It isn't an isolated problem, the only difference is one group enacted a solution without using guns, police, taxpayer dollars, etc....

Unlike other governmental systems, you have to choose to live there. What is the problem?

Are they a sanctioned political subdivision under CO law? If not, they are a gang.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ayup.

I would question a couple of things....
1....Is this merely enforcement via fines assessed or will they attempt to pass this info onto the DOR/DMV?
2....How are they determining the speeders actual speed? Is is by radar trailer, or hand held/vehicle mounted unit? Has the person operating the handheld/vehicle mounted radar unit been trained in its operation to the minimum level required for the police in that State? (I was required to have 16 hours of training at the Police Academy on Radar...). How often are the radar units tested & calibrated?
I test the unit in my car at the start of every shift, so does the guy who follows me.
What is the money raised by the fines/fees to be used for?
Where are they kept?
Who has access to this money?
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Good luck enforcing that.

Good luck selling your house with a shitload of HOA leins on it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
People that happily live in gated communities or HOA controlled occupied zones deserve everything they get.  They agreed to it, after all.

Not necessarily. Things can get out of hand,
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Cost of speeding ticket to the HOA member?

VS.

Cost to the HOA to replace radar ticketing systems (multiple times)?
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#24]
HOA's draw almost as much hate as Ruger does.  My HOA is very laid back.  They get the grass cut and snow plowed.  If you don't pay your dues you don't get a key to the pool and do get a lien on your home. Not a gated community.  Does keep the asshats down to a low roar.  Having an HOA is better than living in your mothers basement.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Homeowners will be fined for their friends too?  Yeah right.  See you in court.

If they agreed to it when they signed the bylaws, they yes they would.

Bylaws aren't bulletproof or flame resistant, at a certain point the HOA Nazi is going to go to far and nothing will protect them.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Golly! Can't we have some happy medium between HOA and a Free Country?

Wait a min...
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Un fucking believable. That's all we need is to give more power to Billy Bob at the HOA.

Do you people realize that most HOA's can actually put liens against your house? And if you - for instance - don't pay your dues, they can actually force-sell your house out from under you? There was a big story recently here in TX where the wife of a soldier deployed in Afghanistan couldn't pay the dues and they lost the house. The HOA then turned around and sold it to someone else for a ridiculously low price. (Apparently a sweetheart deal to a friend of the HOA president.)

To start giving police power to your neighbors is a sure recipe for loss of liberty. Where are the courts, the presumption of innocence, the training, the certification, the checks and balances? No, this will end up being a tiny Hugo Chavez-style dictatorship.

Fuck HOA's, and fuck HOA's assuming police power with fire.

Someone is living on borrowed time and luck.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Fuck the speeders in my neighborhood.  It's the one time I wish I could throw a brick at a moving vehicle.  I wish my HOA would do this.  Maybe the asshats who populate my neighborhood would slow down then.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always find these HOA threads to be entertaining and confusing at the same time.  I assume everyone on this board is a freedom loving person and big supporter of the 2nd.
Yet we have a lot of members who pay to live under the heavy thumb of little dictators running these HOA's.  Their lackeys run around with clipboards, cameras and tape measures to check your grass height, make sure your trash cans are hidden from sight and all the other stupid rules you will find in HOA's.  I dont understand paying to live under tons of rules and retrictions
Dont give me the stupid reason of "It ensures my neighbors have a nice yard and house"  Move out to the country then and you wont have to worry about any of that.

A little bit of a pain in the ass is worth it if it means not having my property value go to shit because the neighbor decides to decorate their yard with 20 half assembled Camaros.  And not everyone wants to live in the country.

You do realize you can live in a neighborhood without a HOA and not have any of these issues you're describing, right?

Of course you can but there is no guarantee. It only takes one or two bad owners to move in and ruin the neighborhood. Once property values drop lower and lower class people move in until eventually the neighborhood starts looking like Tijuana and you're stuck with an upside down mortgage and arson is the only way out. Happens all the time in unprotected areas.

I'll take acreage and the freedom that comes with living in rural America.  I hate being near people.

That said if you live in an HOA you knew what you were getting in to.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top