Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2001 7:38:51 PM EDT
I have an FAL clone: Century L1A1 with U.S. parts kit and wood furniture.

I have an M16 clone: Bushmaster XM15-E2S.

I have an M14 clone:  Springfield Armory M1A.

My budget only allows me to buy clones, unfortunantly.  But I like them just the same.

Can anyone recommend a good HK91 clone?  I know that I don't want one of those Federal Arms milled aluminum abortions, but that's about it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Gus,

By way of HK 91 Clones (by your definition, the HK 91 is a clone of the full auto G3), there are several choices:

Fed. Arms Aluminum receiver guns.  $600
Hesse Steel receiver guns $600
FMP Steel receiver guns $1000 **
SW-3 Steel (Cast) metal guns $1200
SAR-8 Aluminum receiver guns $1200
SAR-8 Greek Steel receiver guns $1300  **

By way of desirablility, the FMP guns (FMP is Portugese, and a licensed contractor for HK) are the best post ban guns with a pistol grip.

The Greek SAR-8's have thumbholes (Hellenic Arms is a licensed HK contractor), but can get enough US parts to use a pistol grip.

The SAR-8 with the aluminum receiver is basically the same gun as the Fed. Arms gun, but with a nicer parts kit, and the Springfield lifetime warrantee behind it.  It is supposedly better fitted and finished.

The SW-3 uses a cast stainless receiver, and are supposedly nice guns (more trouble free than their SW-5's, especially the early ones).

Special Weapons (SW) sold a bunch of their receivers to Century, who uses them in their Cetme guns (basically, an early version of the HK 91--the Germans used the Spanish design almost in toto for their guns).  These are supposedly good guns, use the HK mags, and run $600ish.

I forgot one--the Hesse--it looks like an HK because it is sheet metal, but then a Yugo looks like a Mustang because they both have 4 wheels and 2 doors (need I say more??--look for reports of Hesse AR's around here).

Link Posted: 3/3/2001 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to HK91.com for additional info. But this will get you started.

Get a FMP receiver, this is one of the few HK contract companies producing semi auto receivers. Best bet is Classic Arms 1-800-383-8011 for $299.99 Reputable company.

Get a NEW H&K part kit. Try InterOrdnance (704)225-8843. Some parts like stocks will be FMP but complete kit in NEW condition will cost about$350.00-$400.00. Probably will be back ordered too. Worth the wait.

Buy your semi auto fire control parts from Hesse Arms, they are better than Federal or Century.

Have your rifle built and finished by Jim Gravitt of ProTech engineering (217)335-2727
or go to www.protech-engineering.com He will charge you about $350.00 to do the work. Jim is a former FJ Vollmer smith and one of the few with the tools and knowledge to build a rifle to HK factory spec.

Total cost will be about $1,050.00 and you will have essentaily a factory assembled rifle with HK factory parts with a factory qaulity finish. To be compliant you need six US parts. The US semi hammer and sear are two, Jim will convert the factory flash to a brake and give you a third US part. Use of US mags give you the body, follower and floor plate. Now you are compliant. Just a note, it is legal to own factory German mags but it is not legal to install them. Make sure the mag in your gun when stored in your safe is US.

Cheaper guns are offered by Hesse, Century, etc. but you will regret it. And whatever you do steer clear of Special Weapons. They cost more than the above and are not much better than Hesse,etc. The SW guns are a nightmare. Go to the above site(HK91.com)and find the "HK compatable Guns" section for reviews.
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I can highly recommend the Interport G3 clones.  They are built using the Portuguese FMP receiver (built on licensed H&K machinery to H&K specs) with new (not used, beat to sh!t, dragged all over Africa) parts of German and Portuguese origin.  They also have enough US parts to make them legal.

I own one of these rifles, and I have owned one "real" H&K 91A2 and two of the pre-ban Springfield Armory Greek SAR 3 rifles.  I feel that the Interport compares favorably with them.  Is the fit and finish as good as a H&K?

No, but it is very well fit and finished never the less and it cost me $900.00 vs. $1800.00-$2200.00 that a H&K 91 is bringing now.  Mine actually has a better trigger than any other G3 type rifle I've owned, be it German or Greek.

The bolt and bolt carrier on mine are actually German H&K, and were unissued.

Here are some pics.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=951120&a=10620818&p=36270768&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=951120&a=10620818&p=36271658&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=951120&a=10620818&p=36273782&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

Do yourself a favor and do it right the first time......stay away from the Century Arms rifles, either built using the Fed. Arms aluminum receivers or the dreaded Hesse receivers.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#5]
The "Interport" is a FMP receiver. The importer must stamp their name. This is why early HKs bear the SACO import stamp. The problem with Interports(the finished gun, not the receiver) is they were NOT built on HK presses, unless built at Protech, but at SW. SW constanly lies about building on HK presses. It is NOT true. Call Jim Gravitt and he will tell you about all the SW guns, including Interports that he has corrected or tried to correct.
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I own a SAR-8 (Greek version) thumbhole stock with about 250rds through it.
Does any know it’s current market value?
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got 2 high end (SR9 T) Heckler & Koch rifles, and NOTHING beats the real thing.

That said, the older Springfield Greek receiver rifles are pretty good. I almost bought one, and that says something, because with HK and Steyr, I will pay for the good stuff.

Don't have anything god to say about Century and the others. I've checked them out and I think they're crap.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#8]
^
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#9]
You should check out the CETME's.For $499 you can't go wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top