Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 5:41:58 PM EDT
I have no laptop but I do have a USB hard drive.  Any ideas?

Also, I have both DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink on my PC.  Will either of these decode the DVR video files?

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#2]
It has an integral function to record any given show to a VCR tape but I was interested in maintaining the original resolution with the option of burning it to a DVD.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Easy.
First, you'll need an old delorien, some fissonable material and a flux capacator. Then, you need a spunky neighbor kid who likes to skateboard...
Oh wait, that's something else.

Tag. This will be the deciding factor between CHarter DVR and a Tivo for me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#4]
What DVR type?

TiVo: Can't do it easily.
ReplayTV: Easy as pie

eta: ReplayTV, DVArchive, and 15 minutes will have you
ripping video directly to a PC.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
<- trying to figure out the process on a dish PVR
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What DVR type?

TiVo: Can't do it easily.
ReplayTV: Easy as pie

eta: ReplayTV, DVArchive, and 15 minutes will have you
ripping video directly to a PC.

It's made by Scientific Atlanta.  Other than the brand name, what else would let me know the type?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:56:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It's made by Scientific Atlanta.  Other than the brand name, what else would let me know the type?

It is a cable box, right? It is probably the cable co's
proprietary DVR.

Sorry, I was speaking about dedicated ReplayTV/TiVo
boxen.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:08:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Dish PVR's store their video in plain old mpeg2 format.  If you like to take a risk every now and again you can rip the HD out of the unit and plop it into a linux box and pull the video off of it.

no experience with doing it yet.. but...im going to keep it in mind for the future.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:15:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Dish PVR's store their video in plain old mpeg2 format.  If you like to take a risk every now and again you can rip the HD out of the unit and plop it into a linux box and pull the video off of it.

no experience with doing it yet.. but...im going to keep it in mind for the future.

That was my first thought too. They just use normal computer hard drives (AFAIK, they may be laptop sized but I doubt it) and are probably in a conventional formatting, if not mildly encrypted. I know people have made TiVO boxen to run other OSes. Scientific Atlanta, eh? Sounds like COMCAST to me >:-)

let me know what you end up doing, I'm seriously considering the $10 a month for one for myself.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:37:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was my first thought too. They just use normal computer hard drives (AFAIK, they may be laptop sized but I doubt it) and are probably in a conventional formatting, if not mildly encrypted. I know people have made TiVO boxen to run other OSes. Scientific Atlanta, eh? Sounds like COMCAST to me >:-)

let me know what you end up doing, I'm seriously considering the $10 a month for one for myself.

FYI In the near future Archos/DISH are going to market  portable video players that can download video straight from the DISH 522/625 and 942 DVRs via the receivers USB port. So if someone cracks the system we might be able to download direct to a PC via USB.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a cable box, right? It is probably the cable co's
proprietary DVR.

Sorry, I was speaking about dedicated ReplayTV/TiVo
boxen.

Yep, it's a digital HDTV cable box as well as a DVR.  Cable provider is Adelphia in South Florida.

The rental cost is $8/mo including a remote.

If I wanted to ditch it and buy my own DVR would I still need to rent their cable box?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top