Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2006 2:32:59 PM EDT
2.8L LE V6, FWD, 1988 Pontiac Grand Prix LE.

No problems with it ever since I had 2 injectors replaced on it along with the ECM unit and Prom chip (all done last month).  Saturday I started it in the morning, drove around doing errands for about an hour, went home.

In the afternoon, I go to start it and the engine does not even turn over!  Just a 'CLICK'.  So I think 'BATTERY'.  Get the jumper battery pack out of the trunk and try to jump it.  It starts.  I take the pack off and open the door and the engine cuts.

Turn the key again and - 'CLICK'.  So I go get the jumper battery pack out of the other car, try to jump it, engine turns over once and then 'CLICK'!!!!!!!!

WTF!

I think 'ALTERNATOR' cause it apparently cannot hold a charge.  I replaced the alternator.  I then jump it with jumper battery pack and it starts and is running fine.  I go to take the battery pack o ff and the engine cuts!!!!

I take the battery out of the car and charge it.  Battery charger indicated it was at full charge in about 10 minutes!!!  The battery is apparently fine, the car is just not starting/idling!!!

After full charge of the battery, I put it back into car and the engine goes 'RRRRR' (turns over about 1/2 way) and nothing!

HELP!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure this is an electrical problem?  If the charger showed full charge after 10 minutes, then it wasn't very drained.  If the car doesn't have a voltmeter in the dash, then buy a cheap multimeter from Home Depot or something to verify voltage.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#2]
No, I am not sure this is an electrical problem.  I am not sure what the heck kind of problem this is!

And yes, I agree on your statement that the battery was not drained- especially after only charging for 10 minutes?!?!

The thing is, when I turn the key to start the car, it goes 'CLICK' and all lights are dim after that.  Then wait a few minutes, the lights are bright again.  Electric dash does the same thing (dims and actually turns off.)
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe take the battery to a local auto parts store... they'll usually load-test the battery for free.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you think that could be the problem?  The battery does not have enough starting amps?

Battery was just replaced in December.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Also chec kyour grounding strap to frame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top