Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2008 5:30:30 AM EDT
Come next year will a special HD antenna feed a DTV box better than a regular antenna.I know we need the box but what about the antenna feeding same.I live 30 miles from the transmitters.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:52:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Next year has nothing to do with HD, only digital transmission.
No you do not need a special antenna, the one you have now will work just as well as it has been.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:54:56 AM EDT
[#2]
A regular anntenna will work fine. HD signals are a little more directional, so you will have to point your anntenna toward the towers. I have a standard anntenna on my HD TV right now and it works fine. A radio signal is a radio signal.

MPD165
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:57:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks,I have a really old TV and a DTV box and wanted to know the best way to feed the low level digital signal.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:13:20 AM EDT
[#4]
try this

I made one for about $5.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep, the old antennas will work exactly the same as the newer "HD" labeled antennas. What's funny is some antenna makers are marketing special "HD" branded antennas that look exactly the same as the older non-HD named antennas. The only difference is they cost twice as much.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:19:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:22:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
try this

I made one for about $5.

Great video.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:52:52 AM EDT
[#8]
There is no such thing as a “HD antennae” it is marketing BS. Any good antennae that will bring in a good strong analog broadcast now will pull in digital broadcast.

BUT

With digital you either have a good signal or you get nothing watchable there is no snowy picture.

Start setting set up now as most broadcasters are already broadcasting digital.

Antenna info here...

http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/index.html
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#9]
You will still need the digital converter for older TV's I take it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You will still need the digital converter for older TV's I take it.

Yes.  Those $40ish boxes are only good for SD signals.  You need an HD box which costs significantly more to get HD quality signals.  I've got one of each, so I have some experience dealing with this setup.  

A few years ago I shut off cable, and stuck a large (actually medium sized) terk antenna inside my attic.  I used the map provided by terk and aimed it to the tv towers in my area.  I get all but one station because its in a different area than the rest of the towers.  It took some trial and error to aim the antenna properly, and I had to purchase and install a signal amplifier as well, but its been working for several years now.  I have a Samsung HD over the air converter box that I've been using for HD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top