Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/21/2004 10:00:29 AM EDT
www.kirotv.com/education/3839571/detail.html

PUYALLUP, Wash. -- There will be no Halloween parties at one school district in Washington state.
 SURVEY
Should schools cancel Halloween parties so as not to offend people who practice the Wiccan and Pagan religions?
Yes. It may offend Pagans and Wiccans.
No. But they should be canceled for other reasons.
No. Let students celebrate Halloween.

Results | Disclaimer

Puyallup School District spokeswoman Karen Hansen said school officials have been reviewing the Halloween tradition and decided that time could be better spent.

According to a Seattle TV station, Hanson said there were three reasons that the parties will be canceled. The first reason was that Halloween parties and parades waste valuable classroom time. The second reason was that some families can't afford costumes. The third reason is that it may offend real witches.

She said schools have had complaints from followers of the Wiccan religion who are offended at the way Halloween is celebrated. Hansen said schools are teaching students to be respectful and take account of the discomfort felt by others.

She said that witches with pointy noses are not "respective symbols of the Wiccan religion" and that their district wants to be respectful of that.

She said any students who show up in a costume might be sent home.

The school district has the following reminder on its Web site:

HALLOWEEN IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER!
Remember, Halloween masks, makeup and costumes ARE NOT ALLOWED at any time on campus.

WTF?!  Now the witches are even sacred to these WA state liebrals.....
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#1]
what do you do with witches

BURN THEM!

and what do you burn apart from witches?

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

BURN THEM!

MORE WITCHES!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Did they rally mean "da bitches."  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn't want to offend the witches.........

God help us(a).
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#5]
That's BS. I know some Wiccan witches and Halloween is their favorite time of year. Have these clowns go to Salem, MA on Halloween and see what goes on.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#6]
She turned me into a newt!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Next they'll ban hunting comments so as to not offend any animals within earshot.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BURN THEM!

MORE WITCHES!

why do witches burn?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I am offended that they are offended! Now what?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Give it a week, and the Christians will be telling us we shouldn't allow our kids to go trick or treating because it's a Pagan holiday.  You can't win.  (Actually, I'm surprised we haven't seen that thread yet this year).  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BURN THEM!

MORE WITCHES!

why do witches burn?

Because they're made out of wood!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#12]
and therefore...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Give it a week, and the Christians will be telling us we shouldn't allow our kids to go trick or treating because it's a Pagan holiday.  You can't win.  (Actually, I'm surprised we haven't seen that thread yet this year).  

The difference being that when a Christian chooses not to participate in Halloween festivities, he is derided as a prudish reactionary.  But when a pagan objects to the Halloween ceremonies, everyone falls all over themselves to accommodate him.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
and therefore...

Witches float?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't really know any witches that would care. It was a pagan holiday in the first place anyway.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But when a pagan objects to the Halloween ceremonies, everyone falls all over themselves to accommodate him.

Actually what the Wiccans are complaining about is the portayal of themselves as crooked nosed broom riding characatures.  If all the goyem in Alabama decided to help their Jewish neigbors "celebrate" Passover by putting on a large fake crooked nose and acting miserly, it *might* ruffle a few feathers too.  

But since Wicca is only one step below Islam on the religions were allowed to hate around here, there won't be too many people rushing to their defense.    
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

... I got better.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#18]
This is...I mean, I can't...just, never mind.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BURN THEM!

MORE WITCHES!

why do witches burn?

Yes but what else floats?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#20]

FIRE MISSION
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Every religion has its maniacs. I think some of the witches/Wiccans/whateverthehellyouwanttocallyourselves are overreacting a bit in this issue.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Great! Next they'll be charging 7 year olds with assault and locking them up when they get in fist fights.

Oh dammit, that happened three weeks ago.

The pussification of children continues...................
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Burn the witch!

I'm always looking for a good opportunity to scream "BURN THE WITCH!!!" That's about as fun as calling someone a pinko commie if they don't like pie, or something.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Every religion has its maniacs. I think some of the witches/Wiccans/whateverthehellyouwanttocallyourselves are overreacting a bit in this issue.

agreed, my ex was a Wiccan and had no problem with Halloween. It was her favorite holiday in fact.

She did however dislike the portrayal of Wiccans in the movies :)

people are weird
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#26]
The Inquisition (what a show)
The Inquisition (here we go)
We know you're wishin' that we'd go away.
But the Inquisition's here and it's here to stay!

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BURN THEM!

MORE WITCHES!

why do witches burn?

A...... duck?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#28]
so if she weighs the same as a duck shes a witch?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#29]
You know what I think? I think some people are offended a little too friggin easily. To hell with them. Now gimme my damn Dubya mask, I'm gonna go make some liberal give me candy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#30]
.....really small rocks?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BURN THEM!

MORE WITCHES!

why do witches burn?

Bread!

Apples!

Very small rocks!

Churches! CHURCHES!

A DUCK!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

My children will not trick or treat because I believe it is wrong. I will not force you to conform to my belief on activity that does not matter. I WILL rock salt your ass for trying to blow up my mailbox however and the post is 4" well casing anchored deeper than the average passenger car can dislodge!

If I believe that human life begins before birth and termination of that life is murder, I will try to make the government protect what I see as human (citizen's) life. That is a contrast of what beliefs I hold and which I would force on others. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But when a pagan objects to the Halloween ceremonies, everyone falls all over themselves to accommodate him.

Actually what the Wiccans are complaining about is the portayal of themselves as crooked nosed broom riding characatures.  If all the goyem in Alabama decided to help their Jewish neigbors "celebrate" Passover by putting on a large fake crooked nose and acting miserly, it *might* ruffle a few feathers too.  

But since Wicca is only two steps below Islam on the religions were allowed to hate around here, there won't be too many people rushing to their defense.    

Fixed it for you! Planerench out
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My children will not trick or treat because I believe it is wrong. I will not force you to conform to my belief on activity that does not matter. I WILL rock salt your ass for trying to blow up my mailbox however and the post is 4" well casing anchored deeper than the average passenger car can dislodge!

If I believe that human life begins before birth and termination of that life is murder, I will try to make the government protect what I see as human (citizen's) life. That is a contrast of what beliefs I hold and which I would force on others. Planerench out.

my Wiccan girlfriend had a parent like you.  I think that is why she got so fixated on Halloween.   Thanks for doing your part to raise more pagans.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
You know what I think? I think some people are offended a little too friggin easily. To hell with them. Now gimme my damn Dubya mask, I'm gonna go make some liberal give me candy.

Psalm 119:165 "Great peace have they that love thy law and nothing shall offend them." Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Give it a week, and the Christians will be telling us we shouldn't allow our kids to go trick or treating because it's a Pagan SATANIC holiday.  You can't win.  (Actually, I'm surprised we haven't seen that thread yet this year).  

Fixed it for ya.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

my Wiccan girlfriend had a parent like you.  I think that is why she got so fixated on Halloween.   Thanks for doing your part to raise more pagans.

Whatever your dumbass girlfiend's parent was like I can assure you I am ten times worse.

Do Earth a favor an always use a condom. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever your dumbass girlfiend's parent was like I can assure you I am ten times worse.

Hahaha. Expect some serious rebellion down the road, Planerench. Just a heads up.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BURN THEM!

MORE WITCHES!

why do witches burn?

Bread!

Apples!

Very small rocks!

Churches! CHURCHES!

A DUCK!

Exactly.  So... logically ...

If she ... weighs the same as a duck ... she's made of wood.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hahaha. Expect some serious rebellion down the road, Planerench. Just a heads up.

No, my kids had their will broken by about age five. They may have some rough spots but nothing like you untrained parents put up with. Both my wife's family and mine raised kids with no rebelion and I don't expect any. My kids obey, do your's?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Read up on where and why this holiday got started.

It'll make your skin crawl.

My parents never let me go trick or treating. And look how I turned out.
(mustbuymoregunsmustbuymoreammomustbuymoregunsmustbuymoreammomustbuymoregunsmustbuymoreammomustbuymoregunsmustbuymoreammomustbuymoregunsmustbuymoreammo)
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#44]
You might want to read this: History of Halloween from The History Channel

Edit: Another point of view (from a Church website) :Linky
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Read up on where and why this holiday got started.

It'll make your skin crawl.

why?  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
That's BS. I know some Wiccan witches and Halloween is their favorite time of year. Have these clowns go to Salem, MA on Halloween and see what goes on.

+1

the actual "pagan/Wiccan" holiday is called Samhain(pronounces sa-AH-when), IIRC.

And I don't think it was the Wiccans actually protesting so much as it was the School Board pre-reacting to an anticipated protest... note how the article refers to "schools" not specific ones in their district.

I think they're trying to avert a potential hassle. In addition, I think that the Wiccans who take the "pointy nose witch" symbol as a serious affront are too sensitive... maybe they're new to the "old" religion

And yes, I know Wiccans.

Several.

Dozen.

Most are good family folks and raise their children to be respectful, respected, and moral individuals.

And they dress in costume on Halloween, just like us.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#47]
I like Holloween candy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Wouldn't want to offend the witches.........

God help us(a).

Yeah! what are they gonna do? Turn you into a arrghghg . . . . .ribbit!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
my ex was a Wiccan

people are weird

nuff said.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BURN THEM!

MORE WITCHES!

why do witches burn?

Bread!

Apples!

Very small rocks!

Churches! CHURCHES!

A DUCK!

Exactly.  So... logically ...

If she ... weighs the same as a duck ... she's made of wood.

Witch: It's a fair Cop.

Once again my "Python Critical Mass" theory is proved, if you get enough geeks (of one form or another) into a room, they can perform an entire monty python sketch/film Word for word

/Phil
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top