Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/24/2006 1:37:00 PM EDT
Lets say you and your wife/GF have a 6 month old and a 3 year old child and that you and your wife/GF both work outside of the house and both earn about same amount.

If you were able to scrap by on just your wife/GF’s income would you be willing to stay home and take care of your children for few years while your wife/GF go back to work?  Lets say the wife/GF wants to go back to work and wants you to stay home.  You would have to take care of children, clean, wash and cook.

Would you be willing to be a house husband for couple years?

ETA Poll added now

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
NO! A womans place is in the home raising children. The man should be earning the bean for his
family.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe

If it didn't put too much pressure on my wife, I'd consider it. But I'd be freelancing when I could from the house.

But I'd much rather she stays home with the child, should we be blessed enough to have one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]
It would depend on WHY.

Would her job pay more than both of ours combined?  Then yes.

Would her job pay less?  No.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#7]
It would depend on what our jobs were. A man has more income potential. I'm not saying its right. its juust a fact of life.

In our current situation. I make almost double the money my wife makes and she has a Masters degree.
I don't even have a degree. I just learned how to blow shit up in the Army and applied it to a civilian career. I was, however, in the right place at the right time a couple of times.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes... and hell yes..
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Hell yeah! I think stay-at-home dad would be a kickass job. Not easy by any means, but it'd be incredibly rewarding, I think.

Edit: Though I do agree with 82ndAbn that a "mother" figure is likely to be more appropriate at that age.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Possibly after the kid quit shitting itself all the time.....yeah then i would
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Did it, NEVER again.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
<SNIPE>

And I hope no one believes being a stay-at-home spouse is an easy job.            

Amen brother. My wife works her tail off and I appreciate every thing she does. I'm a blessed man.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Possibly after the kid quit shitting itself all the time.....yeah then i would

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and say mayyyyyybe you should let the wife handle the kids...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Did it for a year. Wasn't to bad. She made good money and was able to pay the bills. I was laid off. Took side jobs(fencing, automech., odd jobs) while te kids were at school and on the weekends to make play money. I took the kids over to moms when I had a big job or had to leave early in the morning.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I think thats a given......She'd come home with the child either reloading ammo or running my distillery
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
NO! A womans place is in the home raising children. The man should be earning the bean for his
family.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
family.

welcome to the new world!! If your wife is more educated than you and able to be the majority bread winner than I see nothing wrong with it!If your a deadbeat thats another story!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Trust me when I say that the kids will benefit alot more from having a parent home, than the extra income (ie, toys/crapola) from 2 parents working. They NEED parents around. Take it from a latchkey kid, then a kid who dealt with parent's divorce, it sucks.

Someone needs to be there for the kids.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#19]
A) I'm not a freeloader
B) I've worked FAR too hard for my career
C) I'm a MAN

the subject is moot because the wife and I will not be having children.  We both intend to have income for the duration of our working years, and then enjoy a comfortable retirement when the time comes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Children need their mothers at that young age.  If we were earning the same wage then she would be the one staying home.

But I'd never knock anyone for doing it.  

And I hope no one believes being a stay-at-home spouse is an easy job.            

I will agree with 82nd here.  Children of that age do need a mother more than a father.  

Now, even though my son is 12, and as hard as I plead, momma still won't let me stay at home.    
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I would do it if a few conditions were met.

1) if i were married.
2) if there were children involved
C) if her job paid more than mine.
4) they're past the shitting all over themselves stage.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife earns about 5 times what I do and I work out of my house, so in effect, I am a house husband.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
family.

+1

Any "man" that would let his woman go out and earn a living while he stays home watching the kids should be forced to have a sex change.

Get off your ass and provide for your family!

ETA - And I don't care if your woman is capable of earning a better living than you. There are more important things than money. Teach your children the proper responsabilities that men and women have to their families. The mother's place is in the home and the father's place is providing for his family.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#24]
At a young age there is no way in hell I would let the wife not be at home for the kids, mainly because i'm not a believer of formula and my (man) boobs don't lactate. That pretty much seals the deal there. At a slightly older age I don't think I would have a problem staying at home though. Somone would be at home no matter what, and I would pressure the wife to stay home, but I would if she wouldn't. I'd put my childs wellbeing over the ownership of a man card or whatever you want to say.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:51:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Sure.  I worked from home for most of the last year.  I wouldn't have to give up working entirely to do it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:30:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
family.

+1

Any "man" that would let his woman go out and earn a living while he stays home watching the kids should be forced to have a sex change.

ETA - And I don't care if your woman is capable of earning a better living than you. There are more important things than money. Teach your children the proper responsabilities that men and women have to their families. The mother's place is in the home and the father's place is providing for his family.

You can't even spell "responsibilities."
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:36:57 AM EDT
[#27]
No.

I am the defender and provider.

*goes off to kill a mastodon.......

Sheep
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:34:56 AM EDT
[#28]
I think all the guys who spew the line that a woman is the one who should stay home 'cause it's a mans job to go out and work are the same guys who couldn't handle looking after kids and keeping a house in order.... I know 'cause I'm one of those guys. I go to work 'cause it's easier
A friend of mine stayed home with his two kids until the youngest was 8... His wife worked and fortunately made enough $$$ to keep them very comfortable...
Now that the kids are older... He's going to college studying to be a paramedic... He has a university degree in chem. but isn't interested in working in his old field...

It's a personal choice.... Would I do it?
Maybe, but for how long... I dunno.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:36:03 AM EDT
[#29]
My wife says I don't have the temperment for it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:50:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Nooo problem here.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:03:35 AM EDT
[#31]

No way. There's a reason I don't make my living working in a day care center.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:07:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Already am. Got laid off last friday from my job.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:07:55 AM EDT
[#33]
My gut response is to say sure, why not.

I'm not too fond of the idea of mom and dad marching off to work and letting someone else raise thier kids, especially when (in many cases) it's only so the family can have the latest plasma TV and the super size SUV.

So someone has to stay around to perform that very difficult task of raising kids, and if that happens to be the father I don't think that's a big deal.

Having said that, I have to admit that it goes against the way that I view the family hierarchy (for lack of a better term), and it might prove difficult for me to stay home and let someone else 'bring home the bacon'.

Being single and having no kids, you can take my opinion for what it's worth.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:10:23 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd love to, but won't off of principles.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:15:12 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Did it, NEVER again.

+1 on that.  I currently work nights with the wife working days giving me the kid responsibilities for most of the day then straight to work.  I find it very tough to have daycare resp. every day I just don't think most men have the patience for it so I could never do it all day every day.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:18:39 AM EDT
[#36]
You nerds that say you will after the kids are past "shitting their pants age" are well, assholes.  There's nothing wrong with one or the other earning the paycheck and the other one staying home with the kids.  It does make a difference.  And if more people did it, society wouldn't be such that both parents had to work.  More and more, I'm convinced that I should have been born in the 30's.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#37]

family.

A big +1.

I truly believe a large part of our societal problem today stems from "working Mothers".

IMHO a woman's most important job is to be home with the kiddo's.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:26:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Doing that now. Here is some advice:

1. This job is as hard or harder than going to work.
2. The job never ends.
3. No days off no sick time no vacation.
4. Make sure you get time to your self, you NEED to hang out with some guy friends or you will turn into a nagging bitch. If you don't get out and do some things for YOU at least once every 2 weeks you will start acting like a nagging bitch. DON"T neglect hangging with the guys, and don't negelct your self which is easy to do.
5. Get a hobby, your day will be routine punctuated by boredness.
6. It is WORTH IT! You will be MUCH closer to your kids, and be much more a part of their lives.

I have 3. My oldest my wife was home for the twins I am was home for. The twins come to me for most things and are 'closer' than my oldest was. Don't get me wrong we are all close, but being the primary care provider is different.

7. You know how it is bringing in the cash and you have to help support the wife in a non traditional way, give her time to adjust to being home, have food ready and not get jelous.
8. Try to find some way to bring in some part time cash. It jsut helps you feel like you are contributing to the family.
9. Shooting USA is on during the day on Monday, and the SciFi chanel has some good all day marathons...
10. Avoid adultfriendfinder.com this will just get you into trouble Unless your wife is bi....

Anyway, i think it is harder and rather against our nature in some ways but I think it is worth it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:33:32 AM EDT
[#39]
If she were making CONSIDERABLY more than I was, yes, I'd stay home and start a biz from home.  Call me Mr. Mom.  Now where's the chili for the baby?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
My wife earns about 5 times what I do and I work out of my house, so in effect, I am a house husband.

Your board name kicks ass.

Aaaaaaarmy training, Sir!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#41]
If you both make the same amount of money, look at who has the best benefits (health insurance, paid time off, retirement).  The one with the best bennies keeps working.
This worked out very well for a friend of mine, his kids got a full-time parent on premises, support at school, participation in field trips, yada yada... He also was known to hook up the boat prior to dropping them off at school, go fishing all day, and pick them up after school.  He volunteered to coach the baseball team and eventually got hired by the school district as a coach.  
They'll never be this young again.  Go for it.

1911fan
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:49:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Nope. I beleive in traditional gender roles.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Whatever it would take to support the family. I think it would be fun actually, you would be with your kids all the time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#44]
I wouldn't really bother me that much.  Take my actual situation into account:

My wife graduates law school in May and already has a job with one of the best firms in Louisiana.  She will be making roughly twice as much as I will be.  We don't have kids now, but if we were to have an "Accident" in the next couple of years, it wouldn't be very easy for her to just up and quit working.  The good news is that her job will allow her to work from home 3-4 days per week.  That means that, more than likely, I would never be faced with having to become a stay at home dad.  Which is more than fine with me, although I wouldn't balk at it if it was a necessity.

BTW - I get asked all of the time how it feels to know that my wife is going to be making twice as much as me.  I always have the same answer: "I fucking love it!"
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#45]
In a heartbeat.

I have been looking since I was 18 for a rich woman to marry, then to become a house husband.  

Then if we get divorced I could take half.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
family.

+1

Another 1+

Sorry, this is gonna be kind of brief and to the point....

Its a bad idea to put YOUR wife under the authority of another man.  Thats a big subject in itself.

Besides there are alot of jobs to be had on-line.  My wife stays home with our son.  And routinly makes about 8 to 10 $$ an hour and as much as $13.  With a flexable schedule to work, as she is available.

This is an even better choice than both parents working.  While paying outragous childcare bills then having to deal with all of the bad habbits the kids learn form the other kids who act out after being abandoned by their parents.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Years ago I would have done it. I am now in the position that (Too old, g/f already has enough kids) that it is not an applicable question for me.
Of course I wouldn't knock anyone who does it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#48]
I would stay home if the wife made more money than me, since I maye about 5 times what she does that wouldnt make much sense.   When we move from here to the boonies, she will probably be able to make more money than me at years end so she will probably work and I will stay home with the kids if we have any.  Until we move from the Zoo we will both work though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Lets say you and your wife/GF have a 6 month old and a 3 year old child and that you and your wife/GF both work outside of the house and both earn about same amount.

If you were able to scrap by on just your wife/GF’s income would you be willing to stay home and take care of your children for few years while your wife/GF go back to work?  Lets say the wife/GF wants to go back to work and wants you to stay home.  You would have to take care of children, clean, wash and cook.

Would you be willing to be a house husband for couple years?

ETA Poll added now

Its alot easier to just go to work everyday...
But yeah, stay-at-home dads are pretty socially acceptable these days.

If the wife gets better pay, better benefits, better future opportunity... then it's worth her working. I'd definitely say stay home for the few years, and maybe see what you can do to make side money.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#50]
If it was the best thing, yes. IMO it is juvenile and/or stupid to let pride get in the way of taking care of your family.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top