Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 7:25:09 AM EDT
Im talking personally seen the gun , not seen pic on the web or  heard about it
I just asking cuz of the glock thing i personally have never seen any
and by my rough math I have shot around 100K out of glocks  and probably seen another 50K at various matches
I have one case failure ( G24C) but the gun ejected it and keep firing  it was not noticed till the brass was policed up
as for blow up guns i have seen
3 were ar15s that blew the upper off
1 FEG 9mm Hi Power  clone that bulged  and split the barrel
1 BT99 shotgun blew all apart
1 springfield 45 acp fron tof the slide blew off ( springfield admitted heat treat problem)
1 38 super STI , split the frame and blew the mag out of the gun
All of the above  except the springfield and 1 AR were results of careless handloading

So what have you seen  and was it ammo related?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:28:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Browning M2 (Numbnuts forgot to set headspacing after changing barrel out)

Beretta 92 with some very hot foreign load (think it was israeli)
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I had my bushmaster KB on me due to ammo.

The ammo manufacture paid for a new fluted Hbar upper.

Sold the barrel on the old one.

Came off good and was taken care of.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#3]
none myself.  hope i never do  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:14:15 AM EDT
[#4]
nope
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:15:55 AM EDT
[#5]
saw a guy fire an M2 .50 after forgetting to screw the barrel in, it was just sitting in the gun.  result: a loud "BOOM!", a 35 pound barrel flying forward about 20 feet like a javelin, an API bullet stuck halfway down the barrel, and a whole bunch of brass and powder inside the gun.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:16:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Never seen one and have been around MANY glocks.
I have never had or seen anyone KB their weapon
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:17:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You sold a barrel that K/B'ed?  Nice Guy.  (Note to self: Don't buy anything from MillerSHO).
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#8]
M1A.  Some guys personal rifle.  Not sure what caused it.  High power match.  Shattered the stock and bulged out some metal.  Thank goodness for safety glasses.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I could probably type all day about KB's I've seen.
let it suffice to say that the VAST majority of them were the result of handloaded ammunition.
a few were the result of aftermarket drop in barrels ( i.e. someone changing their 40 into a 357sig),
and a very few of them were factory flaws ( the M96 " exploding" rifle).
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#11]
M16A2
M855 Ball
MCB Lejeune, Stone Bay, Bravo Range

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Ruger Security-Six
Blew the cylinder in half, both pieces landed behind him. Shooter was not injured.
He said he was shooting his neighbor's reloads.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:39:57 AM EDT
[#13]

This was my G23...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/sfdave/glock2.jpg

This was my G23...

bullet setback or double charge?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:42:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/sfdave/glock2.jpg

This was my G23...

bullet setback or double charge?

looks like case head separation.
check that brass, kids!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a friend who loaded a round for a Marlin lever-action with pistol powder. BIG kaboom. I've posted the pics here before.

I came close to one, once. Bad ammo in my Beretta 92FS. Thank God the pistol wasn't damaged. It performed flawlessly later with quality factory loads.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:54:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I had some old, but severely overpressure ammo KB in my m1 carbine. didnt do much damage but crack the stock and send powder into my face.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#18]
My taurus PT140 Kb'ed. Locked up the slide, split the frame down both sides , blew the mag base off. Not sure what happened. Possibly a hot load, but Taurus never did give me an explaination.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:06:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Mk19 fired with an obstruction in the barrel (ogive of the previous round).  Blew the sucker up pretty well.  They wanted to know if we could fix it.  They barrel was blown out of the receiver, and looked like the exploded barrels in Looney Toons.  I sent it on it's way to depot level.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Ar15.  In my hands.

Really gotta check that surplus bulk for dinged cases better.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Mk19 fired with an obstruction in the barrel (ogive of the previous round).  Blew the sucker up pretty well.  They wanted to know if we could fix it.  They barrel was blown out of the receiver, and looked like the exploded barrels in Looney Toons.  I sent it on it's way to depot level.

Jeez-o-Pete!....  I remember having a misfire with a MK19 and they cleared the frickin range at Verona Loop for a half hour sending devil dogs for cover in a nearby ditch.  Can't imagine what they would do for this.  Out of curiosity, did the top blow off and hit the shooter in the face?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#22]
A Parker-Hale .308 Match Rifle.
A hang fire caused it to be rapidly dis-assembled in ways it was not designed to be.
Not my weapon, but I was like 3 feet from it when it KB'd.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#23]
My father in law's Berreta 96 KB'd with a factory Hydro Shock at the range. He had a little cut on his hand but was otherwise OK. Sent it back to the factory and they fixed it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Jennings J-22, piece of crap that one of my friends bought just out of high school. It was his first and last cheap handgun.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Who was the manufacturer?  Give credit where credit is due.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Glock 23 shooting a reload in a match.

The extractor was toast, but the gun was otherwise fine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Is it safe to assume that you really don't have to worry about a kaboom happening unless you're using reloads?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#28]
remember the AQUABUMP THREAD? AR15 UNDERWATER.....
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#29]
VA Farmville shoot back in 2001...

1919 with a bad weld on a MG42 or 34 barrel.  It seems, if I recall correctly, some early 8mm shooters for 8mm took MG34 or 42 barrles and pressed on some threads so they could be shot in 1919's.  Well, something happened, and boom.  Unfortunately the shooter wasn't wearing his gloves like he usually did and you see what happened.  

Actually after seeing this I always wear gloves when shooting my 1919.  

oh, here is the photo.

The shooter kept on shooting for another hour or two...  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:39:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Is it safe to assume that you really don't have to worry about a kaboom happening unless you're using reloads?

A lot of 'em seem to come from reloads but lets not forget about squibs
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#31]
11yo and unloading an old pump 12 ga shotgun before coming back into my granpas farmhouse.

Was the old school pump shotgun that had an exposed hammer and a sliding mechanism actually moved rearward from the reciever and actually pushed back / cocked the hammer as you racked the slide on the pump.

I had shot / hunted with this shotgun approx 100 times. loaded & unloaded at least as many times ( exact same way )

Kneeling down on the ground on one knee w/ the shotgun thankfully rotated 90 degrees so that the ejected shells would basically fall strait down to the ground as they were ejected vs slung sideways 4-5 feet.

My fingers was 100% not touching the trigger or even near the trigger guard.

At the exact moment of racking the slide back / ejecting the 2-3rd shell the shotgun basically blew up in my hands ( 12ga shell fired while the shell was being ejected ). Luckily me having the shotgun rotated 90 degrees away from me directed the blast in a direction away from my face.

Besides messy underpants I did not have a mark on me but the gun was ruined. Have never hunted w/ another pump shotgun to this day.

Was 30+ years ago and every single time I am unloading a shotgun I think about it. Scary stuff for an 11yo kid.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

They didn't happen to have black paint on the tip of the bullet, did they?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

If you read the post I just made in this very thread, my FIL had a KB with factory Hydro Shocks.
Our best guess was that it was a double charged round.
It's not safe to make any assumptions about KB's. There can be a mechanical failure on the part of the weapon as well as the ammo.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I honestly don't remember.  The guy worked for Naval Special Warfare (Assigned to NEDU here) and had aquired them (or so he said) through the GI channels.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Besides messy underpants I did not have a mark on me but the gun was ruined.

Now that right there is a sigline!

Glad you were OK
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I saw one 1911 blow apart at a Thursday night IDPA match due to what the shooter thought was a double charge.

Yes he was shooting his reloads and beside a swollen hand and dirty shorts he was okay. However, his 1911 was toast.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Saw a S&W 629 with half a cylinder and no top strap. Cause was too damn much Bullseye...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Guy was shooting a 45 Long colt cheap italian Single action Army Clone   and we think he had a double or triple charge or something. Blew the top strap to clean off and detanated the remaining cartradgies in the cylander. Scary thing was I had just stepped backed a few feet becouse I was talking to my father and I was like oh were standing in the way  we better move so he can transtion to his rifle (we were at a practice match for Cowboy action shooting for a local club back when we lived in the bay area) anyway we step back and a few moment later bits of shrapnel go wizzing by right were my head would have been a few moments earlyer. God was watching out for me that day.

Luckly no one was hurt other then the Gun.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you read the post I just made in this very thread, my FIL had a KB with factory Hydro Shocks.
Our best guess was that it was a double charged round.
It's not safe to make any assumptions about KB's. There can be a mechanical failure on the part of the weapon as well as the ammo.

Federal was known to have produced weak case webs with the .40cal variety.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Guy at the range in Mid Tenn I went to all the time blew the cylinder and top strap off his Colt SAA by double charging a load. I was on the rifle part of the range when he popped the top of his Colt. His hand was pretty bloody, but he didn't even notice, he was crying over the SAA.
I believe I would have also.

After seeing that little incident, I double check my powder type and powder levels in all my handloads.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I honestly don't remember.  The guy worked for Naval Special Warfare (Assigned to NEDU here) and had aquired them (or so he said) through the GI channels.  

were wondering cuz the black tip is suppsoed to be for "SUB GUN USE ONLY"
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

were wondering cuz the black tip is suppsoed to be for "SUB GUN USE ONLY"

Yeah, I have a box of 50 from who knows how long ago.  My dad always told me the were loaded really hot, so we never shot 'em.  Kinda scary putting something like that through an old 92F, you know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top