Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2016 6:03:12 PM EDT
Bolting my new safe to the floor in the garage. Have the dehumidifier issue worked out but wonder what to put between the floor and the safe to prevent rust. Can it be something as simple as some linoleum sheet or heavy duty plastic sheet? What about some composite decking material? I want it low profile to prevent access by a pry bar. 600 pound safe, so not moving it around much. Just want to tilt and slide something under it once in position...

1DD
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#1]
A piece of 3/4 inch plywood would work.
I don't think I would put a piece of plastic under it.
It would still have radical temperature swings.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard of people putting a hockey puck under each corner, but you could go with something thinner if you wanted. Then you have some circulation of air under it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Hockey pucks.  Airflow is best.  Bolt right through them.

ETA beat to the punch...
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I used one of those big plastic waterproof office chairmats that I got for $3.
It's waterproof and I laid it on the concrete and put the safe on top.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I've heard of using a stall mat (heavy rubber mat used in horse stalls) under the safe.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bolting my new safe to the floor in the garage. Have the dehumidifier issue worked out but wonder what to put between the floor and the safe to prevent rust. Can it be something as simple as some linoleum sheet or heavy duty plastic sheet? What about some composite decking material? I want it low profile to prevent access by a pry bar. 600 pound safe, so not moving it around much. Just want to tilt and slide something under it once in position...

1DD
View Quote

Put mine on a pallet.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Left both of mine on the 4x4's they were shipped on.  Just sawed them flush to the front of each safe.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#8]
DRIcore tiles

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I got one of those shop mats with holes to allow drainage from Lowes or HD and cut it to fit the size of the safe.  It was the thicker one to prevent any accumulation/exposure to moisture.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Had the same thought, but decided it will last my lifetime even if it started to rust.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#11]
The guys delivered my safe recommended resting the safe on (2) 1x4. 1 on each side then hag bolt the safe to the floor. This gets the safe off the floor, allows for air circulation and secures it to the floor.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Half in foam insulation and 2x4s
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I used heavy rubber puzzle piece mats intended for gym equipment. Got them at Home Depot I think.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I put mine on wheels
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Put mine on a pallet.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1DD

Put mine on a pallet.  

Yep. Works great.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I put my safe directly onto the concrete slab, and put the concrete slab on a lot in Arizona.

What's this moisture thing you speak of?

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I put my safe directly onto the concrete slab, and put the concrete slab on a lot in Arizona.

What's this moisture thing you speak of?

View Quote

Touché.

We have all of your moisture here in NC...

1DD
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
DRIcore tiles

http://i.stack.imgur.com/RZLGk.png
View Quote

This is what I use under my safes and ammo boxes.   Home depot sells them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Closed cell foam gasket materials used under floor plates when framing walls might work....if it is on the thick side. Do you know anyone who is construction who might have some laying around.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Put 6 mil or thicker plastic under it.  That is what is placed under concrete slabs to prevent moisture from coming up through the slab and ruining any floor finishes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Had the same thought, but decided it will last my lifetime even if it started to rust.
View Quote

Same, I'll never look to see if it's rusty.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#22]
The moisture barrier they installed below my basement slab.

Air space is a good moisture barrier.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, get a 1/8" X2" piece of UHMW and cut a piece for each side, will never rot, soft enough to seal against both the safe and the floor and tough enough to be there in a 100 years....plus really hard to destroy with a prybar..............

We use UHMW for runners and skid plates for our tow sleds..stuff is tough....
1/4" full skid plate and 1"X2" runners.......
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
This^.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I got about a 3/4" rubber mat used in horse stalls at Tractor Supply.... Got it centered and drilled straight through into the concrete
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The guys delivered my safe recommended resting the safe on (2) 1x4. 1 on each side then hag bolt the safe to the floor. This gets the safe off the floor, allows for air circulation and secures it to the floor.
View Quote

Use a wheel bearing around each bolt and bolt it to the floor.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#28]
A couple of 1/4" thick teflon strips
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:57:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I used two pressure treated 1x4s.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:08:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Hockey pucks for me. Drilled through them to secure to the floor.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:19:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Anything that high seems counter-productive.  Any battery-powered Sawzall will be able to cut right through the large gap hockey pucks would leave and through the bolts securing it to the floor.  

I thought that the method of bolting safes to the floor was to keep the safe against the floor to prevent the cutting of the bolts?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Anything that high seems counter-productive.  Any battery-powered Sawzall will be able to cut right through the large gap hockey pucks would leave and through the bolts securing it to the floor.  

I thought that the method of bolting safes to the floor was to keep the safe against the floor to prevent the cutting of the bolts?
View Quote

I use used ball bearings instead of hockey pucks to prevent the Sawzall type attack

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:41:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Mine's on carpet.  Maybe head to your local roofer and get a chunk of epdm rubber roof.  No circulation, but no one is going to get under with a sawzall blade.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:26:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I use used ball bearings instead of hockey pucks to prevent the Sawzall type attack

http://bindayel.co/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/bearings1.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://bindayel.co/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/bearings1.jpg

Neat.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:33:52 AM EDT
[#35]
A little off topic, but if it comes in a box, save it. Cut one side off and slide it over the safe. If you ever have the garage door up and somebody drives by all they see is a box the looks like an appliance.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#36]

Moisture will dissolve that support away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top