Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2003 3:03:49 PM EDT
I have a little .410 that I hardly ever touch and I looked at it today and saw that the outside of the barrel was starting to rust. What do I need to use to stop this and keep it from starting again?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#1]
 All you need is RIG. It stands for rust inhibiting grease. Brownells has it. A very thin film will keep a gun from rusting a long, long time as long no one picks it up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#2]
If there is one thing in this world I hate besides lefties it's rust! Ever notice that it is red-LIKE COMMUNISTS!

Sorry about that.

Anyhow, a thin coat of oil will help keep the rust away. I use CLP. How is the humidity in the storage area? If it is really bad dehumidification might be another avenue to explore.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Birchwood Casey Polarized Sheath.  It looks like a light oil and is applied as such, but it works really well.

BTW, DON'T use WD-40.  This stuff might have had a use 40 years ago, but there are better products available for anything WD-40 used to do.  The only thing WD40 is good for is milling aluminum.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#4]
get the best there is [url]www.corrosionx.com[/url]  
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#5]
You can sometimes remove the rust haze with Flitz metal polish, and not screw up the bluing too bad.  Then, you need to oil that sucker down!  CLP is fine.  WD-40 is a waste of money.

For a really good water displacing rust preventative I have used a product called Corrosian Guard, which is used by the military in radio gear and aircraft that has been exposed to sea water.  

Rig is good, so is LPS-3.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh good, yet another chance to post this [url=http://communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/gz-rust.html]Corrosion Inhibitors Test[/url] link!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top