Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2015 6:20:23 PM EDT
The family of a girl I'm seeing in Ontario, owns a recycling/metal purchasing/etc. company and an old gentleman brought in a 1939 Luger this past week. Neither she nor the family want it, and they don't care enough to deal with selling it, so she asked if I wanted it....of course I want it (duh). I did some googling on importing a gun from Canada and know I need ATF form 6 and a type 8 or 11 FFL, but am looking for general advice and tips from people who've actually dealt with it. Anything to know? Rough cost estimate to complete the process? From my understanding, the gun goes from a Canadian dealer, to US Customs, and then to an 8 or 11, and then to a local FFL? but I'm curious if I can just pick it up directly from CBT (they're less than an hour away)?

No pics of the Luger yet, but she said it looks pretty much perfect and is in a leather holster. No clue if the numbers match or what kind of shape it's actually in.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It is the longest unguarded border in the world, just saying.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#2]
A Luger eh?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

In theory, would one just claim it was left in their grandfather's belongings, which is why there's no transfer history?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

In theory, would one just claim it was left in their grandfather's belongings, which is why there's no transfer history?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last i checked a Luger is perfectly legal to own, unless you live in a commie state. A person doesnt have to claim or prove anything.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a 70 year pistol, likely a war bring back. You could say whatever you want.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I always wanted a Luger. My dad had a friend who had been collecting them since the early 60s.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's a 70 year pistol, likely a war bring back. You could say whatever you want.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure it's worth the risk coming across the border, even with my nexus card.

If the actual ATF transfer isn't too much of a pain (or basically impossible), I think I would rather just do it on the up and up.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#8]
You don't want to deal with that hassle the gun isn't worth it. But you do want to go visit your girlfriend.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I always wanted a Luger. My dad had a friend who had been collecting them since the early 60s.
View Quote

I know nothing about them and nothing about this one, other than it's from 1939. It appears there were several variations in that time period and some are considerably rare, while others are not.

I'm not sure what info the Canadian side will require. If the guy just dropped the gun off with no documentation to the girl and her family, I hope that won't become an issue.

If there is anyone on here who deals with these things and would handle/broker this for me at a reasonable price, I would definitely consider doing that so I don't have to stress over the paperwork and details.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You don't want to deal with that hassle the gun isn't worth it. But you do want to go visit your girlfriend.
View Quote

Spoken from experience? What happened?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If the actual ATF transfer isn't too much of a pain (or basically impossible), I think I would rather just do it on the up and up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your getting it for free, then it would likely be worth it. Contact Simpsons LTD, they are importers who work with people importing single collectible pieces.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If your getting it for free, then it would likely be worth it. Contact Simpsons LTD, they are importers who work with people importing single collectible pieces.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent info - I'll look them up...thank you!

ETA - Whoa, ~$550+ in fees/processing/brokerage/shipping and then laser importation marks with Simpson's info on the frame. The alternate option is looking more enticing.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Bad part of importing is the gun will have to be marked with import marks which really hurts value if that is a concern.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bad part of importing is the gun will have to be marked with import marks which really hurts value if that is a concern.
View Quote
It would be a bummer if it accidentally fell into the lake on the Canadian side, and washed up on the beach behind my house.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Apropos of nothing else, there are several Canadian checkpoints that you just use a phone to call the nearest border station to declare your entry.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Simpson LTD seems to specialize in importing Lugers, probably worth a phone call...

Edit: quote from their site:

Please note: Once we have an approved import permit, Simpson Ltd or our bonded Customs Broker must be present at the Customs port to clear the shipment, with the original permit. The owner or shipper can not clear or hand carry the items through U.S. Customs. This is a Federal liability for us, and we will be forced to report infractions.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Great time of year to visit Canada. Last time I checked, dogs can't smell German guns... unless it's a German Shepherd of course...
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Any FFL can file the Form 6 for you, doesn't have to be licensed as an Importer.  I helped a green card holder import his 1911 from Germany a few years ago, and I'm just a 01FFL.  He did all the legwork with the exporter in Germany and the Import house here in the states, I just had to file the Form 6.  If I recall, it took about a year though to get it all done.  No importation marks were necessary, but that may have changed in the recent years.

FFL may make an occasional importation with restrictions
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I think the OP got his question answered. Perhaps deleting some of the comments here would be a good idea.
Top Top