Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 8:38:34 PM EDT
Me and a friend were sitting around shooting bull today, and started talking about safes.  We both need one.  

However, a safe screams "steal me."

What are good ways to conceal a safe?  Or, if you didn't want all your guns in a box to be stolen, what are some good home cacheing ideas?  

I figure if someone breaks in they'll go for the stuff on the TV, then to the bedrooms for jewelry, and search the closests and under the bed for guns.  

Perhaps a pile of random junk in the basement, included in that are some 4" PVC gun canisters?  Or a small Sentry safe tucked into a closet and covered with clothes?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been thinking about putting up some of that cedar paneling in the back of my office closet ... in certain places the panels would be  cut and attached with those cabinet himges that pop open when you push them in, behind the secret panels, I'd have a couple of spaces opened up between the studs for concealed storage.

Obviously this method isn't secure like a safe though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I've started working on building a movable drywall enclosure around the safe so that it looks like the AC air handling unit.

When I'm done it'll have a vent filter screen and thermostat on it. Not exactly concealed but at least disguised enough to avoid undue interest.

Also if you have one of the old-skool waterbeds with a 'base' which contains drawers, there is usually a central 'tunnel' underneath the bed which is covered at both ends by a plank. You have to use a floor jack and support board to gently lift the bed enough to get the end plank out but it's a pretty safe storage area.  I used to do this when I still had the old waterbed and it works well.

Other ideas are to use the 'between the studs' wall storage lockers and cover with a removable panel or section of wainscoting. (Note: it helps dramatically if the rest of the wall uses wainscoting! )

If you have blown cellulose insulation in the attic you could stash stuff underneath it (protected in PVC or just plastic bags).

AC register or return vents.

You get the idea.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]
A good solid safe, bolted to concrete from the inside and lined with lead blocks or bags of lead shot is a PITA to steal.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is a good link to concealed doors companyHidden Door Company  Just slip a safe in a closet behind one of these:

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Really? A 500 pound safe loaded with guns and maybe some ammo screams steal me? Huh.

Stealing a gun safe would be no small task, and anyone with the motivation to steal one and the no how to crack it is going to have bigger fish to fry. You'd have to have some REALLY nice guns in there to motivate them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Here is a good link to concealed doors companyHidden Door Company  Just slip a safe in a closet behind one of these:

www.hiddendoors.com/images/door4o.jpg

Sweet!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? A 500 pound safe loaded with guns and maybe some ammo screams steal me? Huh.

Stealing a gun safe would be no small task, and anyone with the motivation to steal one and the no how to crack it is going to have bigger fish to fry. You'd have to have some REALLY nice guns in there to motivate them.

Would a hand held propane torch go thru the lock/tumbler on a safe?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Stealing a safe is a whole other class of crime from just breaking into a house, it's a federal felony with big sentence attached. Anyone knowledgable enough to cut a safe out of concrete or crack it  would know that and wouldn't risk it over a few guns.

A torch wouldn't do it in a reasonable timeframe, a plasma cutter would, but that's a pretty bad idea on a safe with 20-30 lb. of powder inside(hang a sign or pick up the pieces after, your call.)

Now, that being said my safe weighed 700lb. empty when I picked it up, and I got it off the truck and into place in less than 20 minutes by myself with nothing more complicated than a good dolly and a prybar, BOLT IT IN, in concrete, preferably through the floor AND wall, preferably in a corner or a place where there's no direct line of pull for a vehicle, and that's pretty much the best that can be done. An alarm and video camera helps too because thieves need time and a good alarm denies it to them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#10]
My safe weighs 2,000 pounds empty

It is anchored with 3/4" anchors in 18 spots,  floor and wall

It also has 25lbs of black powder on the inside (There is a placcard on the outside)

anyone stupid enough to try and cut it open deserves to be stew meat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top