Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2001 9:50:14 PM EDT
I found this at freerepublic. If it is true, then we must contact our Congressmen immediately. This could make criminals out of anybody who repairs their own guns.

Gun Parts Trafficking Act of 2001 (Introduced in the Senate)

S 609 IS

107th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 609
To close loopholes in the firearms laws which allow the unregulated manufacture, assembly, shipment, or transportation of firearms or firearm parts, and for other purposes.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

March 26, 2001
Mr. TORRICELLI introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To close loopholes in the firearms laws which allow the unregulated manufacture, assembly, shipment, or transportation of firearms or firearm parts, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Gun Parts Trafficking Act of 2001'.

SEC. 2. PROHIBITION AGAINST SHIPMENT OR TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARM PARTS, WITH CERTAIN EXCEPTIONS.

Section 921(a)(3) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking `or (D) any destructive device.' and inserting `(D) any destructive device; or (E) any parts or combination of parts that when assembled on a frame or receiver would constitute a firearm, as defined in this paragraph.'.

SEC. 3. PROHIBITION AGAINST MANUFACTURE OR ASSEMBLY OF FIREARMS BY PERSONS OTHER THAN LICENSED MANUFACTURERS.

Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(z) It shall be unlawful for any person other than a licensed manufacturer to manufacture or assemble a firearm.'.

SEC. 4. INCREASE IN FEE FOR LICENSE TO MANUFACTURE FIREARMS.

Section 923(a)(1)(B) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking `$50' and inserting `$500'.

SEC. 5. PROHIBITION AGAINST POSSESSION OR TRANSFER OF CERTAIN COMBINATIONS OF MACHINEGUN REPLACEMENT PARTS.

Section 5845(b) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (known as the National Firearms Act) is amended in the second sentence by striking `designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended,' and inserting `or combination of parts designed and intended'.

SEC. 6. EFFECTIVE DATE.

The amendments made by this Act shall apply to conduct engaged in after the 60-day period beginning on the date of enactment of this Act.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I found a complete list of what this shitbag Torcelli is proposing at [url]www.theorator.com/billpage.html[/url].

In the meantime here is yet another gem from that idiot.

107th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 610

To provide grants to law enforcement agencies to purchase firearms needed to perform law enforcement duties.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

March 26, 2001
Mr. TORRICELLI introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To provide grants to law enforcement agencies to purchase firearms needed to perform law enforcement duties.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Police Gun Buyback Assistance Act'.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS AND PURPOSE.

(a) FINDINGS- Congress finds the following:

(1) Buford Furrow, a white supremacist, used a Glock pistol decommissioned and sold by a law enforcement agency in the State of Washington, to shoot children at a Jewish community center in Los Angeles and kill a postal worker.

(2) Twelve firearms were recently stolen during shipment from the Miami-Dade Police Department to Chicago, Illinois. Four of these firearms have been traced to crimes in Chicago, Illinois, including a shooting near a playground.

(3) In the past 9 years, decommissioned firearms once used by law enforcement agencies have been involved in more than 3,000 crimes, including 293 homicides, 301 assaults, and 279 drug-related crimes.

(4) Many State and local law enforcement departments also engage in the practice of reselling firearms that were involved in the commission of a crime and confiscated. Often these firearms are assault weapons that were in circulation prior to the restrictions imposed by the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994.

(5) Law enforcement departments in the States of New York and Georgia, the City of Chicago, and other localities have adopted the practice of destroying decommissioned firearms.

(b) PURPOSE- The purpose of this Act is to reduce the number of firearms on the streets by assisting State and local law enforcement agencies in eliminating the practice of transferring decommissioned firearms to any person.

SEC. 3. PROGRAM AUTHORIZED.

(a) GRANTS- The Attorney General may make grants to States or units of local government--

(1) to assist States and units of local government in purchasing new firearms without transferring decommissioned firearms to any person; and
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#2]

(2) to destroy decommissioned firearms.

(b) ELIGIBILITY-

(1) IN GENERAL- Except as provided in paragraph (2), to be eligible to receive a grant under this Act, a State or unit of local government shall certify that it has in effect a law or official policy that--

(A) eliminates the practice of transferring any decommissioned firearm to any person; and

(B) provides for the destruction of a decommissioned firearm.

(2) EXCEPTION- A State or unit of local government may transfer a decommissioned firearm to a law enforcement agency.

(c) USE OF FUNDS- A State or unit of local government that receives a grant under this Act shall only use that grant to purchase new firearms.

SEC. 4. APPLICATIONS.

(a) STATE APPLICATIONS- To request a grant under this Act, the chief executive of a State shall submit an application, signed by the Attorney General of the State requesting the grant, to the Attorney General in such form and containing such information as the Attorney General may reasonably require.

(b) LOCAL APPLICATIONS- To request a grant under this Act, the chief executive of a unit of local government shall submit an application, signed by the chief law enforcement officer in the unit of local government requesting the grant, to the Attorney General in such form and containing such information as the Attorney General may reasonably require.

SEC. 5. REGULATIONS.

Not later than 90 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Attorney General shall promulgate regulations to implement this Act, which shall specify the information that must be included and the requirements that the States and units of local government must meet in submitting applications for grants under this Act.

SEC. 6. REPORTING.

(a) IN GENERAL- A State or unit of local government shall report to the Attorney General not later than 2 years after funds are received under this Act, regarding the implementation of this Act.

(b) BUDGET ASSURANCES- The report required under subsection (a) shall include budget assurances that any future purchase of a firearm by a law enforcement agency will be possible without transferring a decommissioned firearm.

SEC. 7. DEFINITION.

In this Act:

(1) DECOMMISSIONED FIREARM- The term `decommissioned firearm' means a firearm--

(A) that is no longer in service or use by a law enforcement agency; or

(B) that was involved in the commission of a crime and was confiscated and is no longer needed for evidentiary purposes.

(2) FIREARM- The term `firearm' has the same meaning given that term in section 921(a)(3) of title 18, United States Code.

(3) PERSON- The term `person' has the same meaning given that term in section 1 of title 1, United States Code.

SEC. 8. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS.

There is authorized to be appropriated to carry out this Act $10,000,000 for each of the fiscal years 2001 through 2005.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's another crock of doggie dumpage to add to the pile.  I had to listen to some anti-gun group A-HOLE on MSNBC rant this afternoon ("If we had tighter gun control we could have traced the terrorists' guns that were used in 9/11).  This guy actually said this!  He was quickly countered by the NRA spokesman.  When the anti-2nd guy remembered, with the help of the NRA speaker, that the tangos used box cutters, he turned into a stuttering idiot.  Actually, he turned into more of a stuttering idiot.

Then I listened to some anti-gun dumbass over dinner go off about topics he knows nothing about, but thinks it's trendy to go off about them.  Now this crap at the top of this thread.

What a nausiating day!

I will deal with this crap tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Toricelli for President in 2004!

He ONLY wants to go after terrorists. I don't know why you people have your panties in a bunch over this. We are at war and these times call for new measures to be enacted.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
From this point down, I'll post links becuase some of these are frickin long.

Gun Show Background Check Act of 2001: [url]http://www.theorator.com/bills107/s767.html[/url]

Gun Show Loophole Closing and Gun Law Enforcement Act of 2001: [url]http://www.theorator.com/bills107/s890.html[/url]

PROTECTION Act: [url]http://www.theorator.com/bills107/s924.html[/url]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Section 921(a)(3):

(3) The term ''firearm'' means

(A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
(B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
(C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
(D) any destructive device.

Such term does not include an antique firearm.

By altering this, parts for a gun would be considered a gun by themselves. Imagine having to get a NICS check to buy a new scope mount, than having to pay an Type 07 FFL/SOT to install it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Let's see:

1) Make Parts For A Gun Be Considered A Gun
2) Require A Type 07 FFL/SOT To Assemble Or Work On A Gun
3) Raise The Cost Of A Type 07.
4) Make The Text Of The NFA More Ambiguous.

Result:

1) Puts all gunsmiths out of business.
2) Creates Alot Of New Guns To Prosecute For. Every Spare Part Would Be A Gun In And Of Itself. That means, if you drive onto a school grounds with an AR-15 lower parts kit, you have dozens of Firearms and an immediate 100+ Year Sentence in Club Fed.
3) Puts Many Dealers Out Of Business.
4) Raises The Cost Of Any New Guns.
5) Eventually Makes It Near Impossible To Own A Gun, Legally.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I especially wonder about this part:

SEC. 5. PROHIBITION AGAINST POSSESSION OR TRANSFER OF CERTAIN COMBINATIONS OF MACHINEGUN REPLACEMENT PARTS.

Section 5845(b) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (known as the National Firearms Act) is amended in the second sentence by striking `designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended,' and inserting `or combination of parts designed and intended'.
View Quote

I wonder if that'll mean any AR-15 part that can be used in an M16 would be a Conversion Part. That might make every AR-15 an Unregistered MG. Hell, That would make every gun an unregistered MG.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 3:24:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Gee a stupid piece of legislation from that stupid piece of excrement Sen. Torricelli.  Wotta surprise.  Isn't it NJ who keeps electing this dickhead?  Wow.  Another surprise.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:28:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Actually, we can take it one step further.  If it's illegal to assemble a firearm without a license, I guess I'll have to pay someone to reassemble my AR after I clean it.  Man, that could get expensive.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Imbroglio, can we assume, from that fine example of a politician, that Glocks are now LEO guns and/or the favored weapon of white supremacists?

I can see the headlines now if one of the MMM types sees [b]that[/b] piece of BS.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Man,this sucks donkey units.
Where is this in committee?
Who are the cosponsors?
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 8:11:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Just sent my 2 Senators a FAX.......

Wasn't Toricelli being indicted for fraud?!?!

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

...I don't know why you people have your panties in a bunch over this. We are at war and these times call for new measures to be enacted.
View Quote

That's the biggest bunch of bullsh*t I've read on this forum yet. You must be a Liberal. [:E]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#18]
According to Thomas.gov, S. 609 (gun parts trafficing) never came out of committee.

I only took a cursory look but I didn't see any co-sponsors.

[url]http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d107:SN00609:@@@L&summ2=m&[/url]

[sniper]

Link Posted: 11/16/2001 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Old news. This one as stated above, never made it out of committee. But the fact he tried  once and lost , doesn't mean he's given up. mmk
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...I don't know why you people have your panties in a bunch over this. We are at war and these times call for new measures to be enacted.
View Quote

That's the biggest bunch of bullsh*t I've read on this forum yet. You must be a Liberal. [:E]
View Quote

Digital, meet Imbroglio.  He is unemployed, only has two firearms, commands the Imbroglio Army, has an affinity for kettlecorn and a crush on Rosie (I think thats right lol)
He is our resident comic relief. [:)]
View Quote

Thanks for the notice, I took him serious for a minute, lol at myself [@:D]
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Mr. "Handsom" Waxman says:

[center][img]http://www.subdimension.com/community/subversion/politics/waxman.jpg[/img]
[i]"All your .50 calibers are belong to us."
"For great justice."[/i][/center]

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#24]
McUzi ?
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I missed the date on it. I hadn't heard of it before and it said of 2001. But, don't discount the enemy. Anybody remember the Crime Bill/AW Ban of 1991. And yes, I said 1991. It was easily defeated in 1991, only to comeback in 1994 as the Assault Weapons Ban.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:57:13 AM EDT
[#26]
You know what?  We are knee deep in Sht!!  There does not seem to be an end to this crap, and there seems to be no system to keep the bleeding hearts in check.  Is there no counter to these bullshit bills?  All we hear is about Anti-gun bills, where are the pro-gun bills/politicians?  Oh wait, they are politicians, and its not PC to be pro-gun.  When is this crap gonna end?

Oh, 12 Glocks being shipped to Illinois were stolen and used in crimes.....Lets stop making guns.   Maybe the Miami PD should personally drive them up there to make sure they all get there?   I have a better idea, catch and prosecute the POS at UPS/FEDEX/wherever, put him in jail for 20 years for 12 counts of stealing/possessing/selling/defacing 12 stolen firearms.  Possession of LE firearms.

Yet another load of shit from our 'elected' officials.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You know what?  We are knee deep in Sht!!  There does not seem to be an end to this crap, and there seems to be no system to keep the bleeding hearts in check.  Is there no counter to these bullshit bills?  All we hear is about Anti-gun bills, where are the pro-gun bills/politicians?  
View Quote

The only one I know of who's actually PUSHING pro-gun legilation is Ron Paul of Texas. But he never seems to get anywhere with it. He's just not on the "A" list in D.C. and the things he proposes make too much sense.

Oh wait, they are politicians, and its not PC to be pro-gun.  When is this crap gonna end?
View Quote

Never. There are too many people who've had it too good for too long. Their idea of defending themselves is handing over everything they own and blubbering to their attackers "please don't hurt me!" Well, BOHICA, baby!

Oh, 12 Glocks being shipped to Illinois were stolen and used in crimes.....Lets stop making guns.   Maybe the Miami PD should personally drive them up there to make sure they all get there?   I have a better idea, catch and prosecute the POS at UPS/FEDEX/wherever, put him in jail for 20 years for 12 counts of stealing/possessing/selling/defacing 12 stolen firearms.  Possession of LE firearms.
View Quote

Again, that'd make too much sense.

Yet another load of shit from our 'elected' officials.
View Quote

Considering the electorate, what would you expect?

Or... Am I just being cynical?
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:19:37 AM EDT
[#29]
I sent an email to [url]www.vote.com[/url] to have this put to a vote.They have submitted millions of emails on the behalf of their voters to the proper recipients.Does anyone else here go to that website?
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#30]
That scumbag Toricelli was on the hot seat for being on the take & it was being pursued by the feds very aggressively until 9/11.  It's time they start the ball rolling again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top