Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 5:18:27 PM EDT
Check this bullshit out

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

California: US Supreme Court Rejects NRA Effort to Overturn Gun Show Restrictions
Alameda County may ban gun shows on country property as the Supreme Court rejected the NRA’s bid to have the court review an earlier ruling that the NRA had lost. By refusing to hear the case, the Supreme Court let stand a federal Court of Appeals decision which upheld the right of Alameda County to ban gun shows and rejected the NRA’s claims that the ordinance violated the First and Second Amendments. San Mateo, Marin and Los Angeles counties have also restricted gun shows on county property and more counties are expected to follow suit now that Alameda County won the case. Alameda County’s ordinance was prompted in response to a 1998 fairgrounds shooting in which eight people were wounded. The Court of Appeals ruling was based on its conclusion that the Second Amendment guarantees the right of the states to maintain armed militias but does not grant individuals the right to bear arms. The U.S. Supreme Court refused an NRA appeal to review that decision last year.

How could a federal court make such a claim?? what bullshit
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#2]
My sister wanted me to move to CA, fuck that
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#3]
This was'nt the ninth circus was it?

At any rate, it sounded pretty lame from the Supremes view. I suspect a bit of politcs may be involved. NRA can still bring this up again...so all is not lost. They'll just have to have some lawyers "define" the second ammendment better. Dunno.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#4]
That's not news. The 9th Circus ruled years ago that the 2nd Amendment is not an individual right.

ETA - If I remember correctly, the Kalifornia State Supreme Court also ruled that since the Constitution of the State of Kalifornia does not guarantee the right to keep and bear arms, that there is no right to keep and bear arms in the state of Kalifornia.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top