Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/23/2024 6:26:00 AM EDT
https://www.wdrb.com/news/louisville-gun-shop-employee-taught-old-national-bank-shooter-how-to-hold-load-ar-15/article_480dc178-b962-11ee-83b7-8f19f7927d5c.html

Louisville gun shop employee taught Old National Bank shooter how to hold, load AR-15, lawsuit claims

Excerpts:
"As (a federally licensed firearms dealer), River City has a legal duty to not sell guns to prospective purchasers whom it knows, or reasonably should know, pose an unreasonable risk of harm to themselves or others," the plaintiffs said in the lawsuit. "And given the red flags that Sturgeon presented at the time of purchase, it was a reckless dereliction of duty for River City to negligently entrust him with an AR-15-style rifle."

The lawsuit claims that River City not only failed to stop Sturgeon's purchase but "used the opportunity to make additional profit" by allowing him to also leave with "three additional 30-round large-capacity magazines, a red-dot sight to increase the accuracy of his aim, and a vertical grip for greater control over the weapon."

Those things, the lawsuit claims, made Sturgeon — "a novice shooter" — more deadly. A witness in the store, the lawsuit said, saw an employee teaching Sturgeon how to hold and load the gun and behaving "oddly."

"While such upselling may be a common and innocuous sales practice in other industries, it is exceedingly dangerous when it involves products that enable a customer to kill faster and more efficiently," the lawsuit claims. "This fact should have been obvious to River City given the number of lives that (have) been taken by mass shooters in recent years wielding similarly equipped AR-15-style rifles."

The lawsuit was filed by Louisville Attorney Tad Thomas, Romanucci & Blandin, a Chicago-based company that represents several other mass-shooting survivors and Everytown Law, the largest group of attorneys in the country focused on gun safety, according to their website..

What a load of garbage. It is the responsible thing to do to help someone be more proficient with a firearm to be more safe with it. There is a HUGE push this year to pass a terrible "red flag" law I don't see the bank being sued and as I recall reading, it prohibited employees from being able to defend themselves by banning guns.

Gun shop has recently announced moving out of the city

Here's more on the lawsuit
he lawsuit alleges River City Firearms, the business that sold the gun just days before last April’s shooting, fell short of their legal obligation to prevent the gun from ending up in the wrong hands.
...gun dealer ignored warning signs from the now deceased shooter....[Alla Lefkowitz, senior director of affirmative litigation at Everytown Law] described the shooter as, “a complete novice who had no idea how to hold the rifle, how to load it, who’s acting oddly in the store, averting his gaze, speaking in hush tones.” She said that should have been enough. “These are all indicators that federally licensed firearm dealers are trained to look for.”
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:34:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Lawfare
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:43:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lawfare
View Quote

Yep. Especially when the employer isn't being sued for policies that prevented employees from defending themselves.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:49:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Where on a 4473 is the box that the dealer checked a crystal ball and/or tarot cards for future acts?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:54:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Where on a 4473 is the box that the dealer checked a crystal ball and/or tarot cards for future acts?
View Quote

Or better yet, where does the dealer get legal protection from being sued for discrimination when they get a "bad feeling" about someone and don't sell to them?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I hope hell has hot enough fires.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:01:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Store should counter sue both the anti-gun "lawyers" and the "groups" like MDA and Everytown for their propaganda and lies that brainwashed the shooter into making himself a martyr. They intentionally try to scare people and create a feeling of hopelessness with their false propaganda then rile them up and "demand action" by any means necessary. They are the ones that created this monster... no one else.

In its investigative file of the Old National Bank shooting, LMPD released Sturgeon's receipt from the gun purchase. The day he purchased the gun, ammunition and accessories for $762.90, Sturgeon wrote of his plans to carry out the shooting, saying he "would not have been able to do this" were it more difficult to buy a gun.

LMPD's investigative file included a large collection of the shooter's personal writings that noted his struggle with mental health. He also wrote about his desire to "make an impact" and show how easy it was for someone with his level of history of mental illness to purchase a gun.
View Quote

https://www.wdrb.com/news/louisville-gun-shop-employee-taught-old-national-bank-shooter-how-to-hold-load-ar-15/article_480dc178-b962-11ee-83b7-8f19f7927d5c.html
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#7]
With this thinking I should be able to sue the states of Texas and Louisiana for allowing the dipshit who hit me and caused me to rollover thereby destroying my vehicle because he was driving too fast in a sports car which is inherently dangerous due to the advertised horsepower. Fuck liberals!
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#8]
If/when the case gets thrown out the defendant should sue the plaintiff for legal costs, time, lost income etc.

It's time people start to pay for frivilous lawsuits.

Jackpot justice.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:05:53 AM EDT
[#9]
So does that mean the federal gov't can get sued for training recruits how to disassemble, clean, load and obtain marksmanship with an M4 or M9 or the vast majority of other weapons that are used in the military.

You know because veterans are such dangerous and unstable people when they cause injury or death to others after they leave the military.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#10]
This is why everytime I hear of folks trying to get out of jury duty, I just shake my head. At some point this case could go to trial and you could make the difference to stop some of this crap.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's not the point. This is to cause financial harm to that business as well as send a message to other gun stores.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Such a social murderer. He could have learned it on YouTube just the same.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's not the point. This is to cause financial harm to that business as well as send a message to other gun stores.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Without reading/seeing video, that's exactly what the woman plaintiff said. This will destroy that gunshop.

Yep, push for red flag laws/elimination of preemption, plus whatever else they think they can get passed.

News in Lexington is really big on this, pounding the message home that guns are ikky.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#14]
The left is serious about attacking gun rights anywhere and everywhere. For them, it's an obsession. It's a crusade. They won't stop until they are stopped.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's as if they copied and pasted from the complaint in my lawsuit.  As I said, the lawfare didn't start with me and it's only going to get worse.

View Quote

What happens if they lose the lawsuit? Gun shop's liability insurance goes through the roof?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Republican states need to kick every Democrat congressman off the ballots for supporting insurrection via their support to Biden’s border policies.

Sue every Democrat controlled school board
View Quote

This.

Actually what SCOTUS did was take away the basic right of self defense from the State of Texas.

Texas should start rounding them up wholesale and start sending them to sanctuary cities by the thousands. (Starting with about 25,000 of them to Martha's Vineyard.)

Drop them off in front of Nancy Pelosi's house and flood NYC.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This.

Actually what SCOTUS did was take away the basic right of self defense from the State of Texas.

Texas should start rounding them up wholesale and start sending them to sanctuary cities by the thousands. (Starting with about 25,000 of them to Martha's Vineyard.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Republican states need to kick every Democrat congressman off the ballots for supporting insurrection via their support to Biden’s border policies.

This.

We're already doing that

It's a drop in the bucket
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Guns are the new cigarettes. Sue businesses over and over while making guns even more socially anathema, especially to the young.
Lawyers get rich, guns become harder to get. Voila! Success.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:35:18 AM EDT
[#23]
next lawsuit in will be they denied Tyrone's legal rights by denying him a purchase of a rifle for made up reasons...

pick one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Read this

I lived in Louisville, county, for majority of my adult life and feel terrible this happened.

Hiring a law firm associated with everytown to go after the seller removes any sympathy.

The family even started the day or two before he was acting normal.
If he could fool his family then how would a gun shop have any chance of knowing signs.

Bullshit lawsuit, like ADCOs and only serves to have defacto punishment due to lawfare.

While I had a bad interaction with gun shop, promised one price for trade on phone then flipped when in store, I don't wish this at all for them

Bullshit that again removes any sympathy for the victims family.
Sue the dead assholes family, they have money
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:54:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

That wouldn't further the political agenda.  The anti's know that long-term they've lost in the legislatures thanks to Bruen so this is one of the few arrows left in the quiver to damage the firearm industry.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:57:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Some attys need to be stoned.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#28]
A witness in the store, the lawsuit said, saw an employee teaching Sturgeon how to hold and load the gun and behaving "oddly."
View Quote
How much did they offer to cut him in for?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A witness in the store, the lawsuit said, saw an employee teaching Sturgeon how to hold and load the gun and behaving "oddly."

Female.
That witness, the lawsuit said, turned to her husband upon hearing there was a mass shooting April 10 and said "I bet it's that kid from the store."
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That wouldn't further the political agenda.  The anti's know that long-term they've lost in the legislatures thanks to Bruen so this is one of the few arrows left in the quiver to damage the firearm industry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohh I know

https://www.wave3.com/2024/01/23/old-national-bank-mass-shooting-widow-vows-make-change/

Good old 'i support x, but'

Can't quote from phone

Kare supports the Second Amendment and said she believes people should have the right to own a gun legally to protect themselves and their home. But, she would like to stop the sale of AR15-style firearms to the general population, considering weapons of mass destruction.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I know the family.

Flaming liberals for generations.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Without reading/seeing video, that's exactly what the woman plaintiff said. This will destroy that gunshop.

Yep, push for red flag laws/elimination of preemption, plus whatever else they think they can get passed.

News in Lexington is really big on this, pounding the message home that guns are ikky.
View Quote

In a place like Kentucky.  That's just amazing, but furthers the constant idea that leftists infiltrate everywhere and the right just continues to give ground, because....?

If you told people twenty years ago that something like this would happening in Kentucky, you'd get a weird look.  These days, it's just accepted.  That's astonishing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

We're already doing that

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

We're already doing that

I'm aware that this is happening but I'm talking on a massive scale. We're talking Red Ball Express here. Hundreds of buses running 24/7 moving thousands daily.

Drop off 100,000 people in NYC weekly so their services collapse.

Dump more in Massachusetts because as if the other day the governor is asking people to house them in their own houses. As soon as the governor starts trying to force people to house them it'll be game on and a huge backlash because Karen doesn't want her comfy suburban existence threatened by anyone.

Don't forget places like the Vineyard where the elites hide from us peons. Once Barak Obama and company step in warm steaming shit in front of their houses and realize they had better get used to it his attitude will change.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

In a place like Kentucky.  That's just amazing, but furthers the constant idea that leftists infiltrate everywhere and the right just continues to give ground, because....?

If you told people twenty years ago that something like this would happening in Kentucky, you'd get a weird look.  These days, it's just accepted.  That's astonishing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many don't consider Louisville as part of KY
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Every action movie out of Hollywood is literally equally guilty of what they did
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I am in either Louisville or Lexington I definitely feel like I am out of state.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe because they can't read a map?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yep. Especially when the employer isn't being sued for policies that prevented employees from defending themselves.
View Quote

I’ve always wondered how that legal liability doesn’t go both ways.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Female.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Female.
That witness, the lawsuit said, turned to her husband upon hearing there was a mass shooting April 10 and said "I bet it's that kid from the store."
Yeah, I'll just bet she did.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's as if they copied and pasted from the complaint in my lawsuit.  As I said, the lawfare didn't start with me and it's only going to get worse.

View Quote

first thing i thought of -- your situation -- when i read headline

frivolous BS lawsuit riding on emotions and falsehoods -- no basis in reality
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#42]
It’s all so tiresome.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#43]
https://democrats.org/where-we-stand/party-platform/healing-the-soul-of-america/
And Democrats believe that gun companies should be held responsible for their products, just like any other business, and will prioritize repealing the law that shields gun manufacturers from civil liability.

Eliminating The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act is written into the democrat party platform, so that they can return to the days of suing the gun industry out of existence piece by piece.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

**snip**
View Quote

And that’s how tort reform gets passed, which I normally don’t agree with on philosophical grounds (civil immunity). Openly admitting to that is a direct and objective misuse of the justice system. Morons will throw the baby out with the bath water.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legislation and court precedent
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Guns are the new cigarettes. Sue businesses over and over while making guns even more socially anathema, especially to the young.
Lawyers get rich, guns become harder to get. Voila! Success.
View Quote

They literally have confessed that they want to use the same tactics they used against big tobacco.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The plaintiff in my case said under oath they don't believe people should own firearms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that’s how tort reform gets passed, which I normally don’t agree with on philosophical grounds (civil immunity). Openly admitting to that is a direct and objective misuse of the justice system. Morons will throw the baby out with the bath water.

The plaintiff in my case said under oath they don't believe people should own firearms.

That should have been the end of the case right there.

Sorry brother
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If/when the case gets thrown out the defendant should sue the plaintiff for legal costs, time, lost income etc.

It's time people start to pay for frivilous lawsuits.

Jackpot justice.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#50]
The plaintiffs should sue the employer

I have long advocated making a business legally liable for harm caused when they ban guns
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top