Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2014 7:09:03 AM EDT
I'm looking to get a forward grip and came across these (not sure if I'm allowed to link to the site or not).

Are these actually useful as a bi-pod or is it just some gimmick?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:26:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Relatively useful as long as you're shooting from a level surface. They don't have any kind of swivel or pivot ability, so uneven or rough ground makes them less useful than a dedicated bi-pod.

As a forward grip, that thing is long. Much longer than I would have preferred normally. Again, a dedicated forward grip is better if that's all you want.

So, ultimately, it's a compromise. It fits my needs well enough and I like it. Just know that it has some limitations since it's trying to perform two separate roles.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Relatively useful as long as you're shooting from a level surface. They don't have any kind of swivel or pivot ability, so uneven or rough ground makes them less useful than a dedicated bi-pod.

As a forward grip, that thing is long. Much longer than I would have preferred normally. Again, a dedicated forward grip is better if that's all you want.

So, ultimately, it's a compromise. It fits my needs well enough and I like it. Just know that it has some limitations since it's trying to perform two separate roles.
View Quote

What is the downside of it being overly long?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:36:43 AM EDT
[#3]
So, ultimately, it's a compromise
View Quote
This, it's not a Harris etc so if you want a fully adjustable bipod buy a regular bipod same goes for a dedicated fore-grip.
Military likes em though as they've bought/contracted for over 900,000 since they came out. One of the inventors a pretty cool dude used to live around these parts in a $5 million dollar mansion before he recently sold it and moved back to Georgia. Want to make a ton of money? Invent something somewhat useful for an AR and get a .gov contract LOL!

View Quote

When shooting prone you usually want to keep your head down as much as possible when things are coming back at you..

Catches on things.
View Quote
this too!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:38:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Catches on things.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used one on an AR10 carbine once.  It sucked.  It is useless unless on a flat surface such as a bench.  Even then it is unstable because the legs start below the long ass vertical grip and the legs are short.  If you really want one look into the Mako one that splits in half and the legs come out.  Either way you are adding a heavy grip to the front of your rifle that will affect your rifles balance.  Probably better to add a QD bipod and a shorter (more comfortable) VG.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I got 1. prone only uses though
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm using mine as a weapon-prop while I'm deployed.......

....other than that, I really don't like it. It's heavy, breaks easily....and......did I mention that it's heavy?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one on my go to AR. But that rifle rarely leaves the bench. It's nice on the bench. Had a buddy that was in Iraq. He said they were ok. They are long and kinda heavy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#9]
A friend has one. I see the appeal, but i'm not a fan of multiple use tools.

I'd rather have a dedicated part that does one job well, rather than a part that does multiple jobs medicore-ly
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This, it's not a Harris etc so if you want a fully adjustable bipod buy a regular bipod same goes for a dedicated fore-grip.
Military likes em though as they've bought/contracted for over 900,000 since they came out. One of the inventors a pretty cool dude used to live around these parts in a $5 million dollar mansion before he recently sold it and moved back to Georgia. Want to make a ton of money? Invent something somewhat useful for an AR and get a .gov contract LOL!

When shooting prone you usually want to keep your head down as much as possible when things are coming back at you..

this too!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
So, ultimately, it's a compromise

Catches on things.
this too!

And they end up in the military trash bin or at a surplus shop.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I used one through 2 deployments.  I liked it good for BZO and known distance shooting, when you have to start moving it while in the prone it tends to get messed up.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#12]
i have one its good for bench or prone shooting. Just get a knock off with the metal leg inserts I paid like $20.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:02:59 AM EDT
[#13]
It's only good use is to prop the rifle up, on the floor of the DFAC
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is why I saw so many Soldiers use them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:14:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

They don't call em chow hall grips for no reason.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Grip pods suck, but they are awesome for the chow hall.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:18:52 AM EDT
[#17]
If a rifle needs a bipod, it probably doesn't need a forward grip... and vice-versa.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

You stole my answer.

Plus it's ugly.  I hate ugly.

I keep it in my range bag, works great to toss on a free-float rifle when you need to zero or shoot for groups.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:22:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:56:53 AM EDT
[#20]
The ones with the metal leg inserts are supposed to be pretty stout. I have one. It's a pretty good compromise but it *is* a compromise. I think it's great for the range though. Once I got my AR converted over to HD use I went with an AFG2. I never really liked the ergonomics of a VFG.

If you were really wanting a VFG and a bipod i'd just go with a stubby VFG and a smaller harris bi-pod. In reality you'd only need one or the other at a time anyway.

Watch out for chinese knock-off grip pods too. They're everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top