Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/2/2005 10:00:00 PM EDT
Has everyone seen the adds for this upcoming movie?

Based on a true story:

Early on the morning of January 28, 1945, a small detachment of volunteers under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Henry A. Mucci, leader of the 6th Ranger Battalion, embarked from their base in the Philippines on the most audacious rescue operation ever undertaken. Their objective: Penetrate thirty miles behind enemy lines and liberate 511 POWs from Cabanatuan, the notorious Japanese POW camp where thousands of American prisoners had been brutally tortured and killed. Little did Mucci's Rangers know when they got under way that morning that over the next few days and nights they would be making history.

Wonder how good, and true to life it will be.

The Great Escape

i hadn't seen this movie for years, I don't think I had ever watched it entirely from begining to end in one sitting.

I saw a PBS special about Luft-Stalag III, which has been totally destroyed since WW-II. Also since it was in a remote forest, a lot of the site has gone back to being simple woods.

They got the actual survivors together, and excavated parts of where the though it was. They found parts of the tunnels. They also spliced in snippets of theGreat Escape to tell the story.

One thing the movie didn't show, is the new commandant at Luft-Stalag III was so incensed by the Gestapo's treatment of prisoners, they allowed POW's outside the wire to erect an memorial to the murdered airmen. It is still there today.

That movie is allegedly very good at covering the main facts of the escape, although the characters in the movie often represent several POWs. The tunnels etc are supposedly incredibly accurate.

The real Luft -Stalag III eventually held 10,000 airmen, and had 5 miles of perimeter fence.

I hope the Great Raid is as good as the Great Escape at portaying the real events.
Top Top