Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 1:53:19 PM EDT
For those of you who dont know, an attempt was made to incorporate depictions and descriptions of human rights abuses committed by the USA (everything from the Indian wars, to slavery, to Abu Ghraib) into a memorial of the 9/11/01 attacks in New York City.  The America-haters aren't going to get their way.

Pataki Ousts Freedom Center From Ground Zero
(New York -AP, Sept. 28, 2005) - Gov. George Pataki on Wednesday ousted a proposed freedom museum from its site at ground zero, declaring that the International Freedom Center has generated "too much opposition, too much controversy" to remain.
The decision follows months of acrimony over the Freedom Center, with furious families and politicians saying that the museum would dishonor the memory of the 2,749 people who died at the World Trade Center.

Pataki said in his statement on Wednesday, "I strongly believe in this nation's core principle of freedom and I personally believe that the celebration of freedom is not inconsistent with the goals of memorializing our nearly 3,000 lost heroes. The creation of an institution that would show the world our unity and our resolve to preserve freedom in the wake of the horrific attacks is a noble pursuit.

"But freedom should unify us. This Center has not.

"Since June, we have offered the International Freedom Center (IFC) the time they needed to clarify their intentions and work with stakeholders to reach a consensus. Today there remains too much opposition, too much controversy over the programming of the IFC and we must move forward with our first priority, the creation of an inspiring memorial to pay tribute to our lost loved ones and tell their stories to the world.

"Therefore, the IFC cannot be located on the Memorial quadrant. I have asked the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation (LMDC) to work with the IFC to explore other locations for the Center. In addition, I am directing the LMDC to continue its efforts to identify programming for the Memorial quadrant that will tell the story of September 11th.

"I would also ask all parties to now join together and unite behind fulfilling our solemn obligation to the families of those we lost. We must reclaim the spirit that we saw the days and weeks after September 11th, a spirit of unity, resolution and purpose and we must come together to build a lasting memorial for the generations to come."

abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=3486670
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Good.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank God.  Now we just need to get rid of the fucking Crescent Moon in PA.  It's amazing that we have to "deal" with any of this crap in the first place.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The fact that this was allowed to get as far as it did is revolting in itself. The apologists/liberals/America haters will get their say in the Ground Zero memorial; I'd bet my savings on it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Fucking liberal asshats trying to make everything about THEIR philosophy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Next up: that disgusting anti-American, racist Mexican monument built on U.S. soil with U.S. tax dollars.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#6]
If they can't do it right, then don't do it at all
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Fucking liberal asshats trying to make everything about THEIR philosophy.

edit to add:  +1

Memorials don't need to be overtly philisophical at all.  To each his own in terms of how one interprets or FEELS when visiting a memorial.  That's the whole point.

The leftist asshats always trying to define what something is SUPPOSED to mean or direct people down a defined train of thought.  Fuck you..put a stupid 9/11 Steel Pole in the ground and let me make my own conclusions about it and what it represent to me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Next up: that disgusting anti-American, racist Mexican monument built on U.S. soil with U.S. tax dollars.

which one is that?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Neato! Looks like those letters I wrote really worked. What a country!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

which one is that?

The one in Los Angeles.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

which one is that?

The one in Los Angeles.

Some piece of shit "artwork" in Baldwin Park.  There was a borderline riot over there by the pro-illegals/anti-Americans when protesters demanded that it come down.  The anti-Americans were actually chanting positive things about bin laden.  Dumb motherfuckers.  Link Baldwin Park riot
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Why are they STILL making a big deal about Abu Ghraib, and WHY THE FUCK would they want to include it in a memorial?  I know that they've been stopped (for now), but just the fact that someone actually though of doing this makes my head explode.

I don't think even the Europussies would do such a thing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank God! I really didn't expect a "win" on this one! Based on some of the things I have seen and read about that group (you should see a list of the people they had on their committe) the 9/11 site was to have been rife with, "We are bad Americans, America is bad and we earned this" type of mentality.

Man this is good news!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#14]
We need to rebuild the Towers just the way they were, except taller (and safer).
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#15]

What would Mario Cuomo have done with it?

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What would Mario Cuomo have done with it?

Wear a Burka and fly a toy airplane into it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#18]
He will take unmitigated grief from the libs for this. You can bet this will come up in the election next year.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
We need to rebuild the Towers just the way they were, except taller (and safer).

Safer how? Surface-to-air missiles on the roof, like the White House has?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Donald Trump commissioned a redesign of the WTC that were slightly taller and airliner-resistant.

Also proposed the UN move in it  instead of renovating their HQ at Turtle Bay
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he meant a little more structural integrity for sitations like they experienced?

Although, it would be pretty nifty.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
He will take unmitigated grief from the libs for this. You can bet this will come up in the election next year.

No doubt. But receiving unmitigated grief is part of a politician's job.

And in this particular case, it saved someone from having to uparmor a bulldozer to get this thing stopped.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:41:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Leftist pukes -
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wider stair wells and imorved evacuation routes.  Stronger fire suppression (sprinkler) system.  Brighter emergency lights.  Improved fire retardants.

That better?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top