Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/12/2006 4:39:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 4:42:31 PM EDT by Az_Redneck]
w00t!

Passed CW yesterday! Passed the written 2 months ago. Decided to study one element at a time.

Mr Tax Man was nice to me this year by graciously giving me my money back. I got an Icom IC-706 MKIIG that you have to be a Ricket Scientist to operate. I went from, strictly 2m/440, to HF. I know SQUAT about HF..Guess I have a lot to learn!

I also got a High Sierra Sidekick little 1/4 wave screwdriver antenna to mount in the stakehole in my truck behind the passanger side. It's an extended cab so the RF won't make her glow for a few years

See ya on the air!

K7***/AG
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:48:19 PM EDT
Congratulations!

Have you given any consideration to a HF station at home?

(and WTF is a "Ricket Scientist"? )
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:48:46 PM EDT
Congrads
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:50:49 PM EDT
Cool
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:56:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 4:58:05 PM EDT by Az_Redneck]

Originally Posted By Skibane:
Congratulations!

One of those guys who studies rickets:

Definition
Rickets (in children) and osteomalacia (in adults) are two forms of a metabolic bone disease resulting from vitamin D deficiency. Both cause softening and weakening of bones because of defective or inadequate bone mineralization.

Wife says NO to HF at home QTH...Mobile only! I value my sex life so I comply..
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:59:26 PM EDT

Congrats! Someday I'll bother to learn Morse long enough to pass that exam, and upgrade my license. For now, VHF/UFH is where it's at...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:02:51 PM EDT
Congrads de KC8ARD
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:16:45 PM EDT
Congrats!!

Sell your wife on the utility of the emergency communications capability in having a home station! Convence her that you would be able to save lives when the SHTF!

706 Mk2G is a dandy radio! I like the all band coverage. A buddy has one and I'm impressed with it. Now you need to join Army MARS!

KI4BUN/AAV4TP
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:25:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pcsutton:
Congrats!!

Sell your wife on the utility of the emergency communications capability in having a home station! Convence her that you would be able to save lives when the SHTF!

706 Mk2G is a dandy radio! I like the all band coverage. A buddy has one and I'm impressed with it. Now you need to join Army MARS!

KI4BUN/AAV4TP

I looked into MARS and decided to do it another day! I am the pres of the local EmComm group, a mentor with ARRL and constantly coordinating events and SETS... This does not include the courses I recently took through FEMA and ARRL... We have TOPOFF 4 at the end of this year too. I have lots of SHTF work to do. She'll never buy it.. I've been working on her slowly...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:26:17 PM EDT
I am a no code tech and want to upgrade to general but am having a rough time with the code.

I am going to do excatly how you did it. In three weeks there is a exam session scheduled and I will take me element three. then study my code and take element one later.

I do not want to wait for the FCC to drop the code requirement because I want to use CW.

Bobwrench

KB8S**
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:30:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 5:32:39 PM EDT by Az_Redneck]

Originally Posted By bobwrench:
I am a no code tech and want to upgrade to general but am having a rough time with the code.

I am going to do excatly how you did it. In three weeks there is a exam session scheduled and I will take me element three. then study my code and take element one later.

I do not want to wait for the FCC to drop the code requirement because I want to use CW.

Bobwrench

KB8S**

The program that REALLY helped me with code was Code Quick www.cq2k.com and they use "sound alikes" and believe it or not, it works! I got the whole bundle that was about $75. He also does trades of just about anything he can sell on ebay. So, if you have any old radio equipment, he'll probably take it off your hands..

I wanted to get my General BEFORE the FCC got rid of CW and we have all the 11 Meter Extra's on HF. I think we should keep CW as a requirement, but that's just me. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:15:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Az_Redneck:

Originally Posted By bobwrench:

Bobwrench

KB8S**

The program that REALLY helped me with code was Code Quick www.cq2k.com and they use "sound alikes" and believe it or not, it works! I got the whole bundle that was about $75. He also does trades of just about anything he can sell on ebay. So, if you have any old radio equipment, he'll probably take it off your hands..

I wanted to get my General BEFORE the FCC got rid of CW and we have all the 11 Meter Extra's on HF. I think we should keep CW as a requirement, but that's just me. YMMV

If they do indeed remove CW as a requirement for the General test, they will keep 5 WPM for the Extra test. While I agree that CW has it's use and will get through when nothing else will...I think dropping it as a requirement for General will encourage new blood AND help broaden the EMCOMS field. Personally, I can't find time to study for the CW element and wish the FCC would get er did and drop it for General.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:21:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Az_Redneck:
Wife says NO to HF at home QTH...Mobile only! I value my sex life so I comply..

Well, if you want to get sneaky about it, CW would be a good way to start - Use a pair of headphones, and the only sound she'll hear will be the faint clicks of your key or paddle. During bouts of insomnia, some folks actually work CW in bed, next to a sleeping spouse!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:23:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Skibane:
Congratulations!

A scientist with Rickets www.mayoclinic.com/health/rickets/AN00220
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:24:55 PM EDT
I hear they might dump the code completely. Maybe then I'll think about the other tickets. The hobby's just too dead to bother with code.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:21:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Misery:
I hear they might dump the code completely. Maybe then I'll think about the other tickets. The hobby's just too dead to bother with code.

You wanna get your "General Lite" huh?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:25:13 PM EDT
There is no reason not to have an Extra class license. The only way it could get easier is to totally eliminate the code! You don't even have to really know the technical stuff, you just have to memorize the tests. They now almost give the licenses away. Get a study guide and get an extra class license.

An extra class license used to be an exclusive license because of the difficulty and technical knowledge needed to earn the license. They almost give them away now! Spend a little time on a study guide an get an extra class license!

N0YCB
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:27:02 PM EDT
Congrats! I am still thinking about going for mine.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:39:18 PM EDT
Congrats,
Someday I will get to Extra Class, since I've been a Tech + for about 9 years.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:49:26 PM EDT

Code Rocks, it's better than video games. Man.........5wpm is crawlin'. You can do it.

Here it is......mission control/ laundry room/ indoor workbench.
Congrats on the Upgrade AZ RN
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:54:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bf2:
Congrats,
Someday I will get to Extra Class, since I've been a Tech + for about 9 years.

I didn't think there were any tech pluses around. Why haven't you upgraded?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:00:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LightSpeed2:

Code Rocks, it's better than video games. Man.........5wpm is crawlin'. You can do it.

img54.imageshack.us/img54/6586/10909351ti.jpg

Here it is......mission control/ laundry room/ indoor workbench.
Congrats on the Upgrade AZ RN

Where's your key?

I just got a 706 but haven't hooked it up yet. Got a High Sierra Sidekick for my Mobile Command Vehicle. We'll have to do the QSO thing someday when I get it going. Should be another week or so. Someone has to pop my HF cherry..

Top Top