Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2001 6:58:20 PM EDT
sent back the first Leapers scope and they sent me another peace of crap. Hope I can get my money back. I'll never go cheap again. Can you tell me of a good varmit scope?

[grenade]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
How much do you want to spend?
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#2]
A Bushnell 3-9x40mm has always been a good varmint scope to me.  The price is more than a Simmons, Tasco, or Leapers, yet reasonable.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Any time you try to save money by buying something because it's cheap, you just wind up with something that's cheap. Quality costs more. Not to say you shouldn't try to save money by shopping around, just that you should stick to quality products and then search out the best deal on those.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
The original purchase was for a little under a Hundred bucks. Then all the shiping back and forth maybe another $20.00.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Frankly, any optics under $100 is likely to be a serious compromise.

Incidentally, I took a new Tasco 6-24x42 out to the range today and tested it briefly at only 50 yards.  It's certainly not a Swarovski, Leupold or Nikon, but I can't say that it's a POS either.  The optics are slightly fuzzy with a faint yellowish cast, but it held zero for over a hundred rounds and it did what it was supposed to do.  How well it holds up to constant use is another story.

BTW, the scope was less than $80 from Midway and came with a free 7x35 binocular and case!  I wasn't expecting much but I couldn't resist the deal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.swfa.com/riflescopes/tasco/

Scroll down to the "World Class" part. There are many other good scopes on this page though. It is some of the higher quality scopes from Tasco. Be sure to get one with adjustment knobs exposed.

You should also get a laser range finder and a chart for bullet drop for your ammo.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
sent back the first Leapers scope and they sent me another peace of crap. Hope I can get my money back. I'll never go cheap again. Can you tell me of a good varmit scope?

[grenade]
View Quote

Leupold or IOR.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 1:40:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 4:53:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Glad I read this thread. It's nice when you can learn from other people's mistakes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:42:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Backup, I've been through alot of Bushnells, Tascos and Simmons. Even a Redfield. They are all shit. (well, Redfield may be hit or miss, one of mine is still holding together). I personally won't be buying anything less than a Weaver. I haven't tried those yet, but I hear good things about them. Other than German scopes and US Optics, etc. the only brands I would consider are Weaver, Nikon, Burris and Leupold. Maybe a Pentax.
Problem with scopes is that often times you don't know it has let go until you miss or wound something.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:08:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you can spend $230 or so, you can get a good, reliable Leupold Vari-X II 3x9x40.  Anything less, and you're throwing good money down the toilet.

[url]www.swfa.com[/url]

-Troy
View Quote

Yep. That about says it all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top