Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2001 8:51:23 AM EDT
It seems that there is always one or two in the mailbox, but today I got one saying "Thank you for supporting us blah blah blah, we have done alot of good together blah blah blah, but please take the time now to renew your membership so that we may continue... blah blah blah".  Now I'm all about giving when I can but being on a limited income, I renew every year vs the other membership options.  Now it just seemed that not to far back I renewed.  The letter didn't give a cutoff date, however it did imply that it was time to renew.  Nows here the part that ticks me off, when I checked my NRA card my membership was good for another 7 months!  WTF?  This seems like a bad tactic to get early renewals to me.  What do you think?

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#1]
they need extra money to help push for the fifty-cal ban. I will be forwarding my next check to them, the last thing we need is instruments of terror like that on the street.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I can sympathize with your irritation. However, Wayne LaPierre himself recently apologized in a letter saying how the NRA's mailings can irk some people but he also said that such mailings are a necessary fact. Sometimes a reminder or another mailing to someone at a time when they have extra money means that the NRA can receive more donations, and I don't have a problem with that. I can't keep track of my membership renewal dates by memory so I keep an NRA file in my office with the document showing my membership. Anytime I get a renewal notice and I'm not sure I can check. I then will make note of it in a desk calendar.

I try to throw them some extra bucks now and then and the mailings aren't a problem anymore, most of them go in the trash with no feelings of guilt on my part.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#3]
does any one realize how much 2 million (membership) piece mailing actually costs?

best case bulk-rate @ .18 cents ea. is $360,000.

So getting one, maybe 2 every year is about enough of that crap.  Just 3 frivolous mailings is One Million dollars.

NRA....perpetual self interest.  yep, that's an NRA bash and I have heard all the hollow "if they didn't do X, Y or Z i couldn't even own a BB gun" arguments and they are invalid.

They trade my freedoms, they are mot my friend.

Zaz
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I have never heard such immature things in my life (of course that is an exxageration). If you they arn't doing everything your way you want to quit. So quit, see how much your voive is heard then. I bet some of you guys voted for Perot, look what you got!
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Want to dissappear from NRA's radar screen?

[b]become a life member.[/b] NEVER another annoying mailing.

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:ZAZ, you may not be friends with the NRA, but they are enemies of your enemies.
View Quote

May be. That "enemies of your enemies" is a very dangerous game to play.  When my enemy is gone what is left?  It's strengthened enemy who I now have to deal with.

I won't take this to unpopular political ground in light of WTC.

Sufficed to say, compromise is exactly that and sooner or later you, or your friends, will be forced to pay for it.

If you they arn't doing everything your way you want to quit.
View Quote

Dale, I didn't quit, I never joined.  I may be an idealist, but why support any system that will lead to my eventual bondage, regardless of its intent?

Who is John Galt?

Zaz

"The World is larger than your sight picture."
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#8]
The NRA needs as much money as you can afford to give.  The last election tapped all their funds and they are trying to rebuild.  HCI/Brady Group just laid off 20% of their staff.  Most likely because funds went to the WTC attacks instead of them.  We can't let this happen to the NRA.  I'm not sure if they are in that desperate of a situation but they definately need your support.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#9]
The best advice I ever received on NRA mailings was: "Send $ when you can, toss 'em when you want".  I don't feel guilty about tossing most of them.  But, I do send money periodically.

Whether you agree with everything the NRA does (or stands for), it is recognized as the voice of gunowners.  If you don't agree with any of their positions, then don't join.  I happen to believe that the NRA kept Gore out of the Presidency, and that was important to me.  It was probably important to you also.  Therefore, I send money.

BTW, did anyone else catch the Ann Landers column with Charleton Heston on firearm safety? I never would have thought that dear old Ann would give voice to the NRA.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was just about to say that.  Ever since I became a Life Memeber, the only thing I've gotten in the mail from them is my monthly issue of American Rifleman.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ditto here. I love the fact that I get no mailings. I give though thru time, money & votes.
Scot
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess somebody screwed up on my account.  I've been a life member for twenty years & still get four or five mailing a month from the NRA.  Some are ILA, some are Whittington Range lotteries, most are special "urgent needs"

sheesh,
Norm
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I, too, am a Life Member (10 years).  But I still got membership applications.  In the process of moving, I misplaced/lost/threw away all of my NRA membership items(card, documents, etc.)  Emailed them explaining what happened, and the next week, I received a new Lifetime Membership packet.  No mailings since then...
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't we have to compensate for those of us who do not become members or give so we can protect our and their rights for firearm ownership?

It does not bother me when I get mail - I give when I can. and do give more whether my membership is due or not.

Trying to also support GOA and 2nd Amendment Sisters more too!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top