BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 1:54:14 AM EDT
Ummmm. Interesting...

May piss off Microsoft a tad...  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:01:40 AM EDT
[#1]
tag so the hivemind can direct me as to how I am supposed to react to this.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:04:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
tag so the hivemind can direct me as to how I am supposed to react to this.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:07:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:10:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Im all for it. Google has done pretty well with their side products like, PICASA , Google Earth, and Google Toolbar. So why Not.
But Microsoft will hopefully react by competing with cheaper software instead of just buying a few more companies and Raising prices to pay for it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#6]
While Google attempts to compete with Microsoft's fringe products, Microsoft is working on their new OS which includes a fully indexed system/ domain/ forest and internet search.  

Think back to when Windows first had IE integrated, then think about them integrating a search feature thats as good as google, but with controls in place to eliminate the google spammers that comes up on searches (those sites that have mothing to do with your actual search criteria).  

Google will go the way of Netscape by 2010.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
....operating system created by Google....

I venture to say, Google's "new" O.S is just another flavor of Linux. Anybody with a good working knowledge of  it can make their own "custom" O.S. Afterall, it is an open source system.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#8]

You all laugh now.

When it turns out that this $200 computer can be plugged in to as many other $200 computers as you'd like to buy to create a parallel cluster, and that the operating system is optimized for parallel clusters, the giant sucking sound you hear will be the drain plug being pulled out of Microsoft's bank accounts.

Just speculating.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Think back to when Windows first had IE integrated, then think about them integrating a search feature thats as good as google, but with controls in place to eliminate the google spammers that comes up on searches (those sites that have mothing to do with your actual search criteria).  

Ah, so Microsoft has come up with a solution to that problem, which no one else has (so far) been able to figure out?

Doubt it.  I don't believe that Microsoft can catch Google in the search engine category.  Ever.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Sources say Google has been in negotiations with Wal-Mart Stores Inc., among other retailers, to sell a Google PC. The machine would run an operating system created by Google, not Microsoft's Windows, which is one reason it would be so cheap — perhaps as little as a couple of hundred dollars.

Wow.  I'll have to run right out & buy their newly released, inevitably trouble-ridden, $200 POS.

Nah...

What are they going to call it...The G-Mac?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ummmm. Interesting...

So Monday… It might if it existed which Google said yesterday it don’t and they have no plans to build a PC.

Speculation today has now shifted to Google branded cell phones and consumer electronics (IPod like devices) so this may actually be bad news for Apple.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I would have liked to of seen the rumored product.  Whether it was a new flavor of Linux or whatever.  Long as it has a simple user interface, based upon x86 architecture, and enabled web browsing, email, and perhaps digital picture downloading.

Some may point out the closeout budget Window boxes that are just a little higher in price.  But those still use XP.  If you take someone not computer literate, the start menu alone with Windows could be intimidating.  I think somethign with just 2 or 3 icons on the desktop.  Also, they could optimize the OS just for those programs.  By doing this, you could get by with a lot less services in the background so the machine might run slick with 256mb or even 128mb  of ram.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Unless it plays all the latest and greatest games, it'll be nothing but a niche product among home users, like Linux or OSX.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#14]
So its the newest, google branded i-Openers?

This has been done before.  Can they pull it off?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So its the newest, google branded i-Openers?

This has been done before.  Can they pull it off?

Doubtful…

The Google PC if it existed is unlikely to succeed… We have been hearing about the Linux desktop revolution for 5 years and still no serious progress in the number of people using it on the desktop. Linux on the desktop looks more like a dead end everyday. Usage of Linux on the desktop appears to be shrinking and when a Mac PC is release that is a viable alternative to MS this will likely accelerate. It would be a fruitless and IMO STUPID move for Google to go into the PC market at the same time Apple is.

Apple has a strangle hold on the music player market, it is very evident buyers of IPods do not consider price as their primary buying reasons and there are players out there that have more features.

The IPod is entrenched because reputation (and they are good) and style are the attributes buyers have focused on… it will take at least a couple of years and a damn good product selection to break that cycle… or a product that is so far ahead of the IPod it becomes the instant perceived leader and that is not likely to happen.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Good, because 200+ Linux distros, each with their own package management subtleties just aren't enough.

And I'd lay money this will end up being yet another Linux distro.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Good, because 200+ Linux distros, each with their own package management subtleties just aren't enough.

I think that is exactly why the story is not believable… why would Goggle purse something that has shown so little in the way of gains over the last 5 years.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ummmm. Interesting...

More made-in-China junk, sold through Wal-Mart, with the aim of destroying one of the last few sectors of American economic muscle.

Go back to sleep, America, Google, Wal-Mart and Hu Jintao are going to take care of you...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that is exactly why the story is not believable… why would Goggle purse something that has shown so little in the way of gains over the last 5 years.

because linux, for all its pluses, has been screwed up from a marketing and direction standpoint targeting home users.

If google can pull off a simple, unified interface that handles the main things for most users (web, email, word processing, photos, mp3's), and they can sell it for $200, they could pull it off.

I'd certainly buy one and use it for my web browsing computer with a KVM switch for my work computer - especially with the continual security problems of the windwos platform.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

because linux, for all its pluses, has been screwed up from a marketing and direction standpoint targeting home users.

If google can pull off a simple, unified interface that handles the main things for most users (web, email, word processing, photos, mp3's), and they can sell it for $200, they could pull it off.

I'd certainly buy one and use it for my web browsing computer with a KVM switch for my work computer - especially with the continual security problems of the windwos platform.

I might buy one as well... but we ARE NOT the target market.

Wal-Mart already tried this with Linspite and it did not fare that well because the response from competitors was a sub $300 windows XP Home machine that now sell in Wal-Mart. If Google does this you will see a $200 Windows XP machine. Which is a good thing... but Google ain't going to.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I might buy one as well... but we ARE NOT the target market.

Wal-Mart already tried this with Linspite and it did not fare that well because the response from competitors was a sub $300 windows XP Home machine that now sell in Wal-Mart.

one thing it has going for it is the ever worsening microsoft security problem. The WMF exploit is likely the worst and will only worsen the perception of microsoft (ever so slightly, since it's hard to make it go any lower).

You and I might not be the target market, but if you're like me, people ask you for computer advice. If google can hook techies in with the $200 pc, they can get them to recommend them to friends and relatives when they ask for PC advice. "Just get the google cube - it's cheap, it does everything you need to do, and you don't have to worry about viruses".

Great for the owners, great for the techies, because they dont' have to run over to the houses of their friends and family to fix the latest window problem all the time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the OS becomes popular, it will have security problems, too.

Being the most popular OS, makes it a target.  Most of the biggest security risks for windows' users, downloaded viruses and worms/malware,  would be just as big of a concern and function fine if developed for UNIX based platforms.  It's just more effective and profitable to make such applications for windows.  Actual OS built-in open port security loopholes and bugs are just as common in Linux as Windows.

But, a $100 or $150 touch screen flat panel type tablet PC with wireless web browsing that also functions as a TV could be a good seller, but I don't believe that is what this product will be.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
one thing it has going for it is the ever worsening microsoft security problem. The WMF exploit is likely the worst and will only worsen the perception of microsoft (ever so slightly, since it's hard to make it go any lower).

You and I might not be the target market, but if you're like me, people ask you for computer advice. If google can hook techies in with the $200 pc, they can get them to recommend them to friends and relatives when they ask for PC advice. "Just get the google cube - it's cheap, it does everything you need to do, and you don't have to worry about viruses".

Great for the owners, great for the techies, because they dont' have to run over to the houses of their friends and family to fix the latest window problem all the time.

An idealist…

Most computer buyers will NEVER know the WMF exploit exists much less let it effect their buying decision.

It has been my experience most people that ask for buying computer advice do not listen. And it is not in the interest of most local computer “experts” to recommend a system that is really bullet proof.

Either way it ain’t going to happen if what Google said yesterday was true.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Short Story in Progress

Chapter One
And so the end came, not from a mutating virus or EMP, but thanks to an unholy alliance among American geek capitalists, cunning state controlled Chicom manufacturers, and the evil, ever advancing WalMart.

Unknown to the unsuspecting Googleites and their Bentonville pushers, the crafty orientals included a hidden subroutine in the $200.00 Google PC that found its way into every school, doublewide, 3rd bedroom and startup arts and craft business in America.

On December 26, 2013, exactly 130 years from the birth of The Great Leader, the little teal colored boxes struck

PS FieroLoki: I did the right click on the properties and unchecked the "autostartup after....." Then I switched off the surge protector and turned it on again. Computer didn't come on, but when I turned it on I got a blue screen and a "serious problem" message. So it's a new set of battteries for my APC. Thanks anyway. Just doesn't work on my flavor of Dell.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Google Stock is worth almost $450 a share today

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Interesting, but unless it's a vast improvement over MS Windows I won't be switching anytime soon.

Unless the Google OS allows people to install all of the software they currently own onto it, I'm not planning on rebuying all of the stuff I have... WAYYYYY TOO MUCH MONEY!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Google Stock is worth almost $600 a share today

Can anybody say bubble...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

An idealist…

Most computer buyers will NEVER know the WMF exploit exists much less let it effect their buying decision.

My parents asked me about it several days ago. That's about as far from the techsphere as you can get.

BTW, when their PC died, I directed them to get a mac mini. They love it because it does everything they need it to do and it's user friendly. I like it because I don't have to do jack squat, compared to the continual problems that came along with windows.

The PC has become a commodity. Soon OS will be less important than what it can do. That's where Google can capitalize. Plus they have the money to throw at it, just like MS does.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Google Stock is worth almost $450 a share today

Had to edit my own early post so I edited quite.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Short Story in Progress

Chapter One
And so the end came, not from a mutating virus or EMP, but thanks to an unholy alliance among American geek capitalists, cunning Chicom manufacturers, and the evil, ever advancing WalMart.

Unknown to the unsuspecting Googleites and their Bentonville pushers, the crafty orientals included a hidden subroutine in the $200.00 Google PC that found its way into every school, doublewide, 3rd bedroom and startup arts and craft business in America.

On December 26, 2013, exactly 130 years from the birth of The Great Leader, the little teal colored boxes struck

PS FieroLoki: I did the right click on the properties and unchecked the "autostartup after....." Then I switched off the surge protector and turned it on again. Computer didn't come on, but when I turned it on I got a blue screen and a "serious problem" message. So it's a new set of battteries for my APC. Thanks anyway. Just doesn't work on my flavor of Dell.

very nice.  suckered me right in...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Doubtful…

The Google PC if it existed is unlikely to succeed… We have been hearing about the Linux desktop revolution for 5 years and still no serious progress in the number of people using it on the desktop. Linux on the desktop looks more like a dead end everyday. Usage of Linux on the desktop appears to be shrinking and when a Mac PC is release that is a viable alternative to MS this will likely accelerate. It would be a fruitless and IMO STUPID move for Google to go into the PC market at the same time Apple is.

5 years?? Where have you been?  Obviously not slashdot.  I can remember the resounding lisp of countless unix admins counting the days until microsoft was little more than a smoldering hunk of company left behind in the wake of the great *nix explosion.  As if somehow microsofts undoing was directly thier doing and would lead to a financial or political gain for them individually.  

The only way google could put a unix platform into more houses across america is if they package it up in a fisher price wrapping devoid of all notion that a console even exists on the box.  Basically do what mac already did with OSX.  You then have a completely new platform that unless it's more intuitive than plugging the matrix into your neck-port, will leave its target demographic confused and unwilling to learn something new.  Then you have 3 platforms to shill to the public instead of just 2.  No more store full of PC software and a table full of mac software.  The technology market as a whole, much like our politics, prefers only 2 choices.  Cannon or Nikon.  Nintendo or Sega.  Sony and Microsoft jump in the ring and Sega bows out.  

Not only is the market theyre targeting not going to be full of early adopters but generally speaking the slowest of learners when it comes to technology.  So unless Google is willing to invest a minimum of at least 2 years, if not more into this, it will fail.    

Quoted:
Apple has a strangle hold on the music player market, it is very evident buyers of IPods do not consider price as their primary buying reasons and there are players out there that have more features.

The IPod is entrenched because reputation (and they are good) and style are the attributes buyers have focused on… it will take at least a couple of years and a damn good product selection to break that cycle… or a product that is so far ahead of the IPod it becomes the instant perceived leader and that is not likely to happen.

Much like Sony is finding out with the PSP.  You have to build a platform that is great at portable gaming, not take an existing platform and convert it.  The Gameboy is a family vacation icon that wasnt dethroned by the gamegear, the neo geo portable or the tiger handhelds.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Google Stock is worth almost $600 a share today

The question is, who has the cojones to SHORT it. Nuh nuh nuh NOT ME, folks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Im all for it. Google has done pretty well with their side products like, PICASA , Google Earth, and Google Toolbar. So why Not.
But Microsoft will hopefully react by competing with cheaper software instead of just buying a few more companies and Raising prices to pay for it.

They bought everything except their search from others.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Make that 201+, I am releasing Asshat Linux built on a faglick branded AMD clone....
I think I'll call it the Fucktard 2000.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Make that 201+, I am releasing Asshat Linux built on a faglick branded AMD clone....
I think I'll call it the Fucktard 2000.

You a bad boy...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top