Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/5/2014 6:35:53 PM EDT
We currently pay for Netflix and hulu and have an HD antenna.
Wife wants to be able to stream on the big screen in the living room.

Thoughts?

Rulez:
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Just for the fact your wife will be ableto cast vid's and pics if the kiddo for friends and family it will be. It's a mixed bag of cool and wanting more. With that said, I have purchased 6 and own 3 of them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't it like $35... I got mine as a stocking stuffer for Christmas.

It's pretty awesome, I don't use it nearly as much as I should.  To be honest I forget I have it

It makes Netflix much more enjoyable and allows me to surf my laptop while casting to the TV.  Win. Win.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one and I like it. Works well and the HD looks very nice.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#4]
if your home theater includes an amp, I don't believe the audio will work.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Works good, price is right.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No worries in the living room
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Love it. Can't beat it for the price. Use it all the time surfing Youtube and watching Netflix.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't gotten to play with it yet, but my mom just got a Fire TV and loves it for Netflicks. It has voice recognition for easy navigation that she said was pretty responsive/accurate. It is about 3x the price tho...
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Cheap as hell, convenient for me to use my phone to stream Netflix, etc to the tv.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got my Chromecast plugged directly into one of the HDMI ports on the receiver, so I get audio and video. -We always use the amp/tv, and Chromecast auto-switches the input on the receiver when we start to cast.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought one.  Used it only a few times.  A Roku is more convenient as you can control it with a hand held remote.  Chromecast needs a computer/tablet etc. to use as a controller.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I prefer the Apple TV to run netflix and amazon prime.

Roku would work as well.

Both are better than chromecast.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought one.  Used it only a few times.  A Roku is more convenient as you can control it with a hand held remote.  Chromecast needs a computer/tablet etc. to use as a controller.
View Quote

So chrome cast is controlled via a computer and what you have on the screen is what appears on the TV?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#14]
i have one,..  its not bad,,   but limited ..

bought 25ft hdmi cable   now i am happy    

http://www.amazon.com/Link-Depot-HDMI-Cable-feet/dp/B000IJY8DS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412550325&sr=8-2&keywords=hdmi+25ft
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#15]
We use it almost daily with my 4 year old daughter.  I have a YouTube playlist that we cast to the TV so she can dance around the house.  I use it with showbox too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#16]
For 35 bucks go for it
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So chrome cast is controlled via a computer and what you have on the screen is what appears on the TV?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use mine with my S4.  Very easy.  YouTube is literally one button and it changes your TV input and plays what you tell it to.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Roku HDMI stick user here.

I like that it can stream video from my NAS with it's media player app
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think that is the tipping point.  If you are cool with using your computer to screencast to the television, you can get by for $35.

Next step up is the dedicated Roku 3, $99.  (You can still get the 1 and 2, but the 3 is so much faster, it is very fluid.)   I own one and have no regrets about the convenience.  Great interface for Hulu, Amazon and Netflix.  (ETA: And Pandora.  Can't forget Pandora.)

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  

and just to confirm, all I need from my TV is a spare HDMI port?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I think that is the tipping point.  If you are cool with using your computer to screencast to the television, you can get by for $35.

Next step up is the dedicated Roku 3, $99.  (You can still get the 1 and 2, but the 3 is so much faster, it is very fluid.)   I own one and have no regrets about the convenience.  Great interface for Hulu, Amazon and Netflix.  (ETA: And Pandora.  Can't forget Pandora.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Roku HDMI stick retails for like $49.99
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well hmmm, so gimme the rundown on on the Roku.
Plug it in and the little remote does it all?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
Mine is plugged into one of the receivers HDMI ports. No issue with audio through the HT.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  There is a micro-usb power adapter that you can plug into the supplied wall wart.  I have mine plugged into the USB port on the back of my tele.

I have 30 channels or "apps".  Some tie into your cable tv subscription, others do not.  I subscribe to Netflix and it works well.  The other thing I use a lot is the YouTube app, as I follow several vlogs.

There is a bunch of free content on there too.  Just gotta figure out what you want to watch.  

Oh, and yes, everything is run by the remote.  No computer required, although I do use my wifi to access content.

eta:  I was having issues with my POS consumer grade router last week and ran Roku off my smart phone wifi hotspot.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#26]
One really nice thing with the Chromecast is screen mirroring of an Android device.    This lets you full-screen and stream any mobile video that might not support a dedicated stream program.
This is also great for quickly swiping through pics and videos that are on your phone\tablet vs using a cloud service to get them on the big screen.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I use it every day. Insanely strong. Works with smart phone apps as well. Pandora, Netflix, etc.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Roku stick is better for my use. Casting with the Chromecast was very laggy on my network.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I use mine when we stay in motels.  i think it was worth the $35
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#30]
It does everything any TV made in the past 5 years already does.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I haven't gotten to play with it yet, but my mom just got a Fire TV and loves it for Netflicks. It has voice recognition for easy navigation that she said was pretty responsive/accurate. It is about 3x the price tho...
View Quote
So, a box in your house that is plugged into the internet and can understand what is being said?

No thanks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It does everything any TV made in the past 5 years already does.

View Quote

No.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I bought one and hate it, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.  Get the roku hdmi stick instead, it's a much more useful device.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's why I bought mine, but it doesn't actually work in hotels unless you pack a router with you.  Most hotels block the protocols it uses to communicate via wifi with your streaming device and the hotels router.  Pretty useless, and since I had my roku anyway I just set up my router and used it instead.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's why I bought mine, but it doesn't actually work in hotels unless you pack a router with you.  Most hotels block the protocols it uses to communicate via wifi with your streqming device and the hotels router.  Pretty useless, and since I had my roku anyway I just set up my router and used it instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I bought mine, but it doesn't actually work in hotels unless you pack a router with you.  Most hotels block the protocols it uses to communicate via wifi with your streqming device and the hotels router.  Pretty useless, and since I had my roku anyway I just set up my router and used it instead.

My phone is rooted so I use it for the internet and cast from my wife's phone
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get the Roku. More versatile. IF you have Amazon prime, hulu, Netflix.  Chromecast just doesn't have any benefit over Roku.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So, a box in your house that is plugged into the internet and can understand what is being said?  

No thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No thanks.

What could possibly go wrong?  
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Get the Roku. More versatile. IF you have Amazon prime, hulu, Netflix.  Chromecast just doesn't have any benefit over Roku.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roku will "cast" youtube feeds from your tablet/phone just like chromecast does, with Plex you can stream media to it from nearly any device.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#41]
In addition to YouTube and other online videos I download to my NAS, I am able to watch the movies I convert to .mp4 for my Galaxy S5, through Roku media player, as well as my 4+ GB of music.

It really is a versatile device.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I have one and I like it. Works well and the HD looks very nice.
View Quote
I agreed, plus the price is right.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Get a Roku Stick instead. Access to more stuff, plus "hidden channels" that you can read about online. I looked at both, read the reviews, and have never looked back.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Mk808b

Android mini TV box is far superior to Google Chromecast or Roku. The newest RK3288 chips wipe the floor with any TV box out there for under $130.

With the mk808 you can also use it as a console emulator. (psx, n64, snes, dreamcast, sega genesis)
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

i just got one free with a tv.

so far to be honest i am not very impressed. streaming perfomance isn't that great. picture quality is good but you are VERY limited to what you can stream. net flix works but sevrel other popular service don't.

i have had zero luck getting my iphone to work at all and none of my tablets work as it requires 4.1.4 android. i have had better luck just connecting my tv to my display port on my laptop.

i also found out it's not recommended to power it via USB from the tv due to it needing a higher amperage so you will need to use the ac USB adapter
View Quote

You would enjoy Apple TV.  Airplay from tablet or iPhone.

I love mine.  Much better than my roku.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm using mine to watch youtube right now. For what it is, it is great.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#47]
I stream all the time from plex, youtube, and netflix on my Chromecasts. Very happy with that.

This Roku stick, is that the same plus amazon prime? That would be worth the upgrade.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I stream all the time from plex, youtube, and netflix on my Chromecasts. Very happy with that.

This Roku stick, is that the same plus amazon prime? That would be worth the upgrade.
View Quote

Yes, plus it has a remote and a shitload of channels exclusive to roku.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I use it with Plex and it works great for what I'm wanting  

I also find myself streaming YouTube vids to the TV more now
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#50]
I've looked at it, but it doesn't seem to do a whole lot that my PS3 doesn't already do, one way or another. And I've also got my laptop already hooked up via HDMI to the TV most of the time.

But it is only $35; that's way cheaper than most of the competitors. I've never thought that any of them have any real advantages UNLESS you're entirely bought into a specific Brand.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top