Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2003 4:47:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:53:54 AM EDT
[#1]
It was a bad shoot by an unprofessional police officer who did not control the situation from the start.
She threatened and then used deadly force where clearly a male officer could have handled this lame ass punk in two seconds.
She used deadly force because she was scared to death.
She told the suspect to "watch his mouth" after repeatedly using bad laungage herselve from the very beginning of the traffic stop.

This kid was calling her mam right up to the point where he was shot and even after she told him I'll shoot you again, I hope they lock this "cop" up for ten years.
He did not go for her gun , he only refused to cooperate and not in a violent manner.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:58:25 AM EDT
[#2]
havent read it  but I vote bad cop [:)]

ok.. now I gotta go read it.... :)

edit.. ok its not a story its a movie.. and I cant watch .rm at work.... so given That I cant see the evidence I go with bad cop..
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:03:55 AM EDT
[#3]
No Donut
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:04:45 AM EDT
[#4]
"Ima shoocha!"

The drunks got some money comin his way just because she kept promising to shoot him.  

Didn't seem like she was trying too hard to keep the situation cool.

bad cop
Scott
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:09:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like he was shot for NON COMPLIANCE, not for being a threat to her life.

I'd go to jail for that.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:14:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Can it really be with in the law to shoot someone who just stands there and won't comply?
Any movement by him was by her pulling and pushing him, he never made any overt moves.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:16:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I would not want to deal with either one of those stupid people. I'm assuming the kid was a doper; what was the cops excuse?

Oh, Bad cop
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:01:34 AM EDT
[#8]
WTF?

Tell me she got fired and is being charged with ADW.. Surely..

You don't use threat of deadly force to get someone to put their hands behind their back, much less actually USE deadly force.

That punk is going to get off with a large amount of tax payer money because of that stupid bitch..
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't get pissed off very easily, and pardon my french. But it figures that that fucked up psycho BITCH was a trooper. A whole different level of psycho-ness. I hope the dumb-ass kid lived and got a good lawyer.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The really critical part was off-camera.

She had no control over herself or over the stop from the very start. She displayed poor emotional control, poor judgement, crappy officer safety skills, a general lack of professionalism and a severe lack of maturity and judgement. She also doesn't know how to perform field sobriety tasks correctly.

While it is possible that they may have been struggling over her weapon, she apparently made no attempt to disengage, and never made any apparent attempt to use empty-hand control, hard empty hand, OC or impact weapons. She also never called for help. Heel, she didn't even have the presence of mind to say "get you hands off my gun!" which would have been all she needed to say to keep herself out of prison.

Without reading her statements about what happened off-camera, and the suspect's statements (assuming he survived), I would have to say that this one was bad from the start. This one is going onto the HD, and may prove useful at the Academy in a few months when we talk about Officer safety issues.
View Quote

There is very little I can add to what Natez has posted, cood commentary.

I will say that it is obvious that she is used to being the "bad, b___k, bitch with the badge" and has likley never had a failure to comply.

Wanna know what happened to her? Prepare to be pissed. [url]http://www.ardmoreite.com/stories/103103/new_trooper.shtml[/url]

Her... demographics... HAD to play a role. Anyone else would be fired for sure and possibly prosecuted.

Piss poor training, piss poor hiring and obviously a piss poor department to keep a POS like her on the job.

Did y'all hear her say "Watch your mouth!" to him? She was cussing him from the get go, but don't you dissrespect HER! Pathetic. A discrace.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:53:03 AM EDT
[#11]
More.

[url]http://www.daweslane.com/anderson.html[/url]

Was that action affirmative?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:57:27 AM EDT
[#12]
You know if i made a ''a split-second mistake'' and shot someone in the back my happy ass would be off to jail. God bless America i mean she was only trying to protect him.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:08:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Affirmative Action at its finest......

They put a completely unqualified person in the a postiion of authority PROBABLY for reasons out of anyones control.

She should be locked up for attempted murder, aggrevated assault, use of a weapon to commit a felony, etc.....  

Damn this makes my blood boil, especially because I have been trying, for the past 8 months, to get on to a police department with no luck.  GRRRRRRR.......

03Mav
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:13:26 AM EDT
[#14]
What really bothers me is that she appears to have purposefully brought him off camera.  There doesn't seem to have been any reason to go where she did to pick this fight.

He was non-compliant and doped, but if everyone who acted that way -- but without swinging, grabbing, or otherwise jeopardizing the officer -- were shot, we'd have a major problem.

Take her badge, lock her in a room, and throw away the room.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:15:23 AM EDT
[#15]
First, the officer didn't put him on the hood right.  The whole point of doing the "put your hands on the hood and step back" thing is so that you can, in a situation like this, kick a leg out from under them, they fall to the ground hopefully hitting their head on the car while going down.  Does that hurt? Yes.  Does that hurt like getting shot? No.

If she was that afraid, she should have stepped back and hosed him and/or called for backup.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:18:21 AM EDT
[#16]
This happened in the city that I live in.  I know some of the guys that trained her.  She sucked during training and the instructors wanted to release her but the higher ups retained her and graduated her.  Affimitative action and all.  My department now uses the tape in training.

Natez you hit it perfectly, I don't need to repeat.

The DA decline to prosecute and she is back on the street.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#17]
[b]Was that action affirmative? [/b]

Of course it was. The judge didn't have the balls to do what was right for the good of the general public and say the officer was too ignorant to be a cop.

If she had not been spitting and cussing and had just whacked the punk upside the head I would have been on her side.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm sure there will be someone along to tell us that she did nothing improper.
Paging ar15fan.

As for me, fire her, arrest her, prosecute her and hopefully convict and send her sorry ass to prison.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Having determined that she did employ an excessive degree of force, the next question that must be answered is “will I now charge her with a crime?” The answer again is “NO”.
View Quote

Till the people insist that bad officers be charged when in violation of the law, they ---bad officers--- will continue with out restraint.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:05:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Bad shoot / Bad cop - not much to add to what's been said...

CR
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I can't see that video but I know about it.'

It was a bad shoot. The Trooper wasn't charged by the DA...........
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Lot of fouling up there.

The guy screwed up by not pulling over immediately.

The trooper fouled up by losing her temper and insulting the guy right off.

The guy then continued to screw up by not instantly complying with this obviously agitated officers instructions.   He then fumbled around bumped into her a couple of times and generally complied with her instructions only if no other choice could be found.  When she asked him for his address and other info, he fumbled that, made excuses and told outright lies further complicating her attempts to sort things out.

When it became obvious that she intended to arrest him, the guy, who had been through this before, blatantly resisted arrest and physically resisted her.  VERY STUPID.

Then the biggest error was when she threatened to shoot the idiot.  Instead of spraying him down or giving him a ferocious whack with her nightstick, she slaps leather and shoots the idiot.  

Is she guilty of attempted murder?  Hell no.
Attempted manslaughter, nope.

Excessive force?  To be certain.
Reckless use of a firearm?  Yup.

Should she have gone to jail?  No.
Punishment:  Suspend jail sentences. Immediate dismissal from service with a recommendation that she never be allowed to serve in law enforcement again except perhaps as a dispatcher. Fine her with the maximum fines applicable to the two offenses.  Supervised probation.  Mandatory anger management counselling.  Community service.

So her law enforcement career is tanked.  She cannot legally own a firearm ever again. She has a felony arrest and conviction record.  She will be closely scrutinized for an extended period of time and have to learn better methods of dealing with her anger. She will need to find a new career outside of law enforcement. And she will have to live with the knowledge that she shot someone who didn't deserve it. It would also send a message that while The People are not out to get officers, we also won't stand for unprofessional and dangerous behavior.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Tagged for a look on broadband.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm still not convinced that this wasn't just a snippet from my favorite show, [u]Reno 911[/u]!
[img]http://www.comedycentral.com/images/photos/reno911/episode/114_photo_05.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Trooper involved in shooting returns to patrol duties

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- The Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper who shot a fleeing drunken driving suspect in the back last June has returned to her patrol duties.
[i]Kevin Ward, acting public safety commissioner, said he could not disclose any disciplinary action that may have been taken against Trooper Laketa Anderson ''because it is a personnel matter.''[/i]

Ward, however, said she has resumed her patrol duties with Troop A in Oklahoma City.

Last month, Oklahoma County District Attorney Wes Lane said Anderson made ''a split-second mistake'' when she shot Justin Lyle Thomas, but charges against the trooper were not warranted.

Anderson, 24, is the first female, black trooper to graduate from the Oklahoma Highway Patrol Academy and has been a trooper for 1ð years.

The shooting occurred after Anderson pulled Thomas over for speeding on Interstate 35 in south Oklahoma City and gave him a sobriety test.

A OHP videotape showed Thomas, 21, was shot as he fled toward his truck. He has recovered from his wounds.
View Quote

Anyone know what the "personnel matter" is?

Well I would hope the TX DPS officer would have just "body slammed him" on the hood and put the cuffs on him!

She should find another line of work!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Locally, about 10 years ago, we had a female cop go to a home where the male half of a domestic violence complaint was staying, he had been drinking. He stepped onto the porch with a loaded 1911 in his front pocket and she began screaming for help into the radio and firing wildly.  She struck her OWN car three times in the hood, two cars in the driveway and the house we also peppered with gunfire from the officer.  The guy never moved from the porch or drew his weapon. He simply stood there watching.  This went on for several minutes.

She blasted away with another magazine, even striking the neighbors house and sceamed like a freak for help, the guy just stood on the porch watching.  Finnally, another cop walked up behind the guy and fired one 12ga shotgun blast into his back from 15 feet, without ever anouncing himself or confronting the man.  The man never made an aggressive move, just stood there with a weapon in his pants pocket watching the circus.

The neighbors had fits and the police paid for all the car windows and repairs from her barrage upon them.  Three days later they proclaimed it a "good shoot" because the guy was reportly an, "expert marksman" who could have drawn and fired at anytime.  The joys of women policeman are boundless.

This kind of crap from a woman cop is not suprising, this goofy patrolwoman had no skills for dealing with men, drunks or white people in general.  I am sure they could have found a decent "african-american" with skills to make a patrolmanif they would have tried harder.

As long as the officer goes home safe, thats all that matters.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm still not convinced that this wasn't just a snippet from my favorite show, [u]Reno 911[/u]!
[img]http://www.comedycentral.com/images/photos/reno911/episode/114_photo_05.jpg[/img]
View Quote

[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Trooper involved in shooting returns to patrol duties

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- The Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper who shot a fleeing drunken driving suspect in the back last June has returned to her patrol duties.
[i]Kevin Ward, acting public safety commissioner, said he could not disclose any disciplinary action that may have been taken against Trooper Laketa Anderson ''because it is a personnel matter.''[/i]

Ward, however, said she has resumed her patrol duties with Troop A in Oklahoma City.

Last month, Oklahoma County District Attorney Wes Lane said Anderson made ''a split-second mistake'' when she shot Justin Lyle Thomas, but charges against the trooper were not warranted.

Anderson, 24, is the first female, black trooper to graduate from the Oklahoma Highway Patrol Academy and has been a trooper for 1ð years.

The shooting occurred after Anderson pulled Thomas over for speeding on Interstate 35 in south Oklahoma City and gave him a sobriety test.

A OHP videotape showed Thomas, 21, was shot as he fled toward his truck. He has recovered from his wounds.
View Quote

Anyone know what the "personnel matter" is?

Well I would hope the TX DPS officer would have just "body slammed him" on the hood and put the cuffs on him!

She should find another line of work!

BigDozer66
View Quote

The OHP routinely does not publicize internal discipinary actions.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#29]
It is very clear to me that Thomas’ intent was to run and jump back into his truck and attempt to avoid arrest. Certainly in his drunken state and with a controlled dangerous substance in his truck he had to realize that this arrest would result in ending his hopes of avoiding going to prison. I do not think it believable, as Thomas told police, that it was his intent merely to go back to his truck and get his insurance verification card. [u]I believe the facts and circumstances reflect the far more likely scenario that he was intending and willing to engage the highway patrol and other law enforcement officers in a drunken high speed chase that had a very high likelihood of ending in a highway wreck, one in which innocent bystanders could have been hurt or even killed.[/u]
View Quote

I can see how relevant that thought process can be  to other cases...

Meter Maid: I tried to hand him his parking ticket but he wouldn't take it.

DA:  And then what?

Meter Maid:  I told him, "Ima Shoocha!" And drew my service weapon.

DA: And then?

Mater Maid:  The SOB turned on his heel and headed for his car. So, I uh, I shooched him.

DA:  Were you in fear for your life?

Meter Maid:  No.

DA: Was he a threat that required the particular lethal force of using a firearm to control?

Meter Maid:  YUssir.  You see, I was lead to believe that since he was probably going to jump in his ride and speed away to avoid detainment by myself and my Cushman ticket-MoScooter he might run over an elderly person crossing the road...Maybe even a Boy Scout or two helping this hypothetical elderly person cross the road too...SO you see I had to shoot him.

DA:  Makes sense to me, you're free to resume duty.  Keep up the good work.  (*Pats Meter Maid's ass on her way out)

On one hand, I do not feel any sorrow for the Mr. Thomas as his record clearly shows he is a deserving candidate for the next episode of "Survivor. The Darwin Series".  But on the other hand, the fact remains that justifying a shooting by using pure hypothical reasoning is bad ju-ju for the innocent law abiding tax payer. (ie. you and me)

That's some spooky sh*t!

Sly
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#30]
[blue]Come on - 1GR[/blue]

-HS
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
[blue]Be a lot easier if I didn't have to edit all the quotes too. -1GR[/blue]

-HS
View Quote

[size=6][green][b]Ut Oh! In before the --->[/green][/size=6][img]http://www.masterlock.com/images/color_img/911wkey.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Just watched he video and it was very disturbing to see that level of incompetance in a sworn Law Enforcement Officer .

I think its appropriate to suggest that the main reason she utilized her weapon as a primary form of defense is because she probably did not have confidence in her ability to control the suspect with her baton or mace . In other words she was more a scared female than a trained Officer.

Deadly Physical Force Policies are pretty universal now from state to state in other words they are all generally accepted rules .

This Trooper seemed very unprofessional from the very start of the encounter , almost as if she had been personally insulted that  the
suspect refused to immediately stop his car ... hense the use of profanity and demeaning tone of her voice.

One of the first things you must learn as an LEO is to NOT personalize the actions or inactions of people you encounter , not only does it lead to the unprofessional conduct we saw from the trooper but it also sets a confrontational tone with persons who may act out violently towards the Officer , it also in the end makes the individual Officers job much more difficult and stressful .

Sometimes even when people you encounter are sober they can become very difficult to deal with just because they are very scared of the encounter with an LEO , one must learn to differantiate fear from furtive actions .

Had this action taken place where I live and work this Trooper would most certainly have been indicted for menacing , reckless endangerment and assault 1.

I would not put the blame so quickly though on her training , I would guess her training to have been at a minimum complete and modern . The fault lies with affirmative action controlling not only the hirng and selection process for LEO's but also on the pressure from Police Mangers on Training staff to [b]"GET THEM PASSED"[/b]

I feel that an average male Officer would have handled the incident with a minimum of force.

Of course while the Trooper may not have been found criminally culpable , I would bet the State and maybe even the trooper might have to shell out alot of money to what appears to be a common drug dealer/crimial. Thats the real loss , that mony coud or maybe would have gone to better use but now its lost because of a faulty hiring process and pressure to [b]MAKE COPS WHERE THERE SIMPLY ISNT ANYTHING THERE TO WORK WITH [/b]

One saying I use on my bosses is that you cant make gold out of lead !
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#33]
She blasted away with another magazine, even striking the neighbors house and sceamed like a freak for help, the guy just stood on the porch watching. Finnally, another cop walked up behind the guy and fired one 12ga shotgun blast into his back from 15 feet, without ever anouncing himself or confronting the man. The man never made an aggressive move, just stood there with a weapon in his pants pocket watching the circus.
View Quote

MURDER! Plain and simple. I don't care what anyone says, it's MURDER.
And cops wonder why they are hated.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#34]
As to lonegunmans story, if it is true, murder plain and simple.
I am a law abiding citizen but if shit like that ever happened to one of my family: the shit is going to hit the fan.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#35]
This is freaking ridiculous.  It makes me mad to think that this idiot still works in our profession.

I want to know where the Feds are with there civil rights case?  I know if I did this I would catch a fed civil rights beef.  Things that make you go hmmm.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#36]
.......one time in band camp.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This is freaking ridiculous.  It makes me mad to think that this idiot still works in our profession.

I want to know where the Feds are with there civil rights case?  I know if I did this I would catch a fed civil rights beef.  Things that make you go hmmm.
View Quote

Shit, how would you feel if she works in the same jurisdiction as you.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, Back in the day, (and even to day, if necessary), we kept our own house clean......

Now, it was a different house, than y'all, but we kept it clean.....

If WE didn't do it, well then, someone else would....

Usually they didn't have much "finasse"...
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Woweee. That woman is a real winner.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
[url]http://ada.oklahoman.net/ramgen/real/save/trooper_shooting.rm[/url]
View Quote

WM can't play...do I need a codec, or another program?

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:52:28 AM EDT
[#41]
[url]http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_sounds/hg/violence.wav[/url]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:02:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[url]http://ada.oklahoman.net/ramgen/real/save/trooper_shooting.rm[/url]
View Quote

View Quote

i cant play it either. what does it run on? ive tried everything....im running out of options!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:30:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Openned up on Real Player for me.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:39:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Dang!  I know people that act like that kid completely sober.  It's call being stupid.  I didn't know that was illegal.  I can't help but think she wanted to shoot this kid from the moment she ordered him to pull over.  If it had been a white cop and a black suspect, you know the cop would have been fired and probably gone to jail.  Rightly so.  It should work both ways though. [V]

[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:42:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a RealMedia file.  You'll need the RealOne Player to see it.

[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:56:42 AM EDT
[#46]
A different OHP fleeing suspect shooting. This one isn't as outrageous as the one in this thread though: [url=http://www.purcellregister.com/article-display.asp?idnum=492]Civil lawsuit filed against highway patrolman, state[/url].

Purcell, OK -- A civil lawsuit has been filed against an Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper stemming from the trooper shooting the man a year ago during a pursuit in McClain County.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:09:56 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm no cop, but I think the (incompetent?) officer should have realized that she did not have the ability to handcuff him at that point. She should have disengaged, called for another car to assist her, and simply held the suspect. That's my unexperienced unprofessional opinion.

Ice's reccomendations on prosecution/discipline are spot on IMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top