Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2004 1:29:52 PM EDT
I am at 61 in 2 minutes which is kinda weak. I have heard so much conflicting advice about pushups, some people say you have to bench light weight many reps. Some say you have to do alot of pushups in a short amount of time and someone else said you had to do 30 every hour.

So should you do them everyday?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#1]
The best way to get better at push-ups is to do more push-ups.  There are 2 routines that I've found to work for push-ups.

The first, set a goal (i.e. 100 push-ups) do that every day, without regard to time in it.  You can take a break in the middle and go to your knees, but don't quit.  Evenutally, you will be able to get your goal in 2 minutes.

The second, twice a day, do two minutes of push-ups.  As you increase your strength, you will eventually be able to get more and more.

The important thing to remember, if you want to get better at a certain thing, DO IT MORE!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#2]
i elevate my feet and use pushup bars makes it a bit tougher so regulars are easy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:03:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Rest is important too!

Your muscles need a chance to rest. You should take a day or two off every week at least to give your muscles a chance to rest and get stronger.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:49:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I found that elevated pushups, wide pushups and narrow pushups tended to make the regular ones easier.  Also, you can't overlook cardiovascular training, as much of being able to do a big number of pushups has to do with endurance as well as strength.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Rest is important too!

Your muscles need a chance to rest. You should take a day or two off every week at least to give your muscles a chance to rest and get stronger.

Absolutely. I can always do more push ups if I leave a day between
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Do as many CORRECT pushups as fast as you can with no breaks, no stopping, no pauses.

Wait 2 minutes.

Attempt to do the same amount, when you have to stop, finish reps on knees with back straight.  No pauses, no rest.  When you can't keep it up, stop.

Wait 2 minutes.

Halve the first number, do as fast as possible.

Wait 1 minute.

Do same number of reps as last set, even if you must go to your knees.

Wait 1 minute.

Do 10, 30 seconds, do 10, 30 seconds, do 10, wait 30 secs, do 10.   You should be able to do all 10 correctly.  

Do twice a week at first, then increase reps and frequency.  It should hurt at first.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Another idea is to change up your hand spacing. Regular, hands out, hands in close, diamond, hands out front, on your fists and fingertips.  

If you have trouble, space it out, but do a set number everyday. Set a goal for how many you want to be doing daily this month and work towards it. Set a new one next month.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#8]
What I've also done is to elevate my hands & feet when doing pushups - I use bricks. This wlil allow you to go a bit deeper than normal, and works your shoulders and chest quite a bit more. Incline & decline bench will also help with building power to lift your weight, but everyone here is right. You just gotta do pushups. :) Lots of em!

Doc
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Do as many CORRECT pushups as fast as you can with no breaks, no stopping, no pauses.

Wait 2 minutes.

Attempt to do the same amount, when you have to stop, finish reps on knees with back straight.  No pauses, no rest.  When you can't keep it up, stop.

Wait 2 minutes.

Halve the first number, do as fast as possible.

Wait 1 minute.

Do same number of reps as last set, even if you must go to your knees.

Wait 1 minute.

Do 10, 30 seconds, do 10, 30 seconds, do 10, wait 30 secs, do 10.   You should be able to do all 10 correctly.  

Do twice a week at first, then increase reps and frequency.  It should hurt at first.

This is similar to what I do for both pushups and situps.  however, i also add some freeweight upper body exercises, as well, which IMO has made a pretty significant difference in my ability to easily max those two parts of the APFT (tho less effect on the ab portion).  The free weight exercises include vertical curl, preacher curl, military press, and tricep press.  curls are less important to the pft, but i figure if i'm going to work triceps, i might as well hit the biceps, too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:01:38 AM EDT
[#11]
A D.I. when I was at Paris Island had a good routine.....called them Jack Webb's........Start out with one pushup go to your knees and raise your hands above your head one time....back to push up position two push ups....back on knees raise hands above head two times.....continue reps up to 25 then work your way back down.

Sounds silly ,one pushup,one reach for the sky....wait till you get to 25......builds chest and shoulders.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top