Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2017 11:58:06 PM EDT
Wanting to start hunting this year. What's a good black powder gun to start with. Preferably cheap. I'll say my budget is 600ish.

Wife told me she used to have a Savage black powder gun... She liked it, but if I'm correct they're no longer manufactured, or am I retarded?

In GD for traffic
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:59:24 PM EDT
[#1]
T/C Impact is where I would start. Almost bought one last year, but I've already got 2 MLs.

I THINK that the savage 10MLs were discontinued.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:02:16 AM EDT
[#2]
That price range a CVA Optima and still have money to spend on an optic. From my research a few years ago they are one of the best. Not sure if they still are. I know Thompson makes one like the CVA. And both work here in Texas for BP Season. And both will give you an accurate shot at to at least 300 yards depending on the BP charge you put in it. The pellets from what I have read work great.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#3]
CVA Wolf.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:07:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CVA Wolf.
View Quote
That is a good entry from what I have read. Yet the Optima is better accuracy. And really not to much more. Although Wolf and spend more on optic and get the same for out little white tail here in Texas.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That is a good entry from what I have read. Yet the Optima is better accuracy. And really not to much more. Although Wolf and spend more on optic and get the same for out little white tail here in Texas.
View Quote
Only reason I own a ML in the first place is to have a backup season if I get skunked during normal firearms season. I can see getting fancy if you're into going hunting with a ML, but for my purposes a CVA from Walmart is accurate enough and really all I need.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:18:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Just a suggestion.
Skip the inline models and go with a percussion lock.
They are reliable and, with open sights, add a little more sport to your hunt.
I've used percussion or flintlock exclusively every season for the past twenty-four years. Have never failed to harvest a deer.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#7]
The suggestions for TC impact are pretty good.

Regardless what you choose, try out the Barnes spitfire MZ bullets (285gr) with yellow sabots. I know some people would say overkill for a whitetail. I put them over around 100 grains of powder. Took 3 nice deer with that combo so far. One at around 75-80 yards offhand, kicked once and dropped. One I spooked just as I dropped the hammer, gut shot and only made it about 50 yards before he bled out and completely died from a GUT shot. The last was a big doe, about 25 yards, quartering away, literally knocked her over it hit so hard.

All three had pretty minimal meat and hide loss. Insides were jelly. Found 2 of 3 bullets still inside the deer and they kept just about 99% weight retention, beautiful little petals from the expansion. Does great on range too, nice consistent groups of you wet swab every 5 shots.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:22:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Only reason I own a ML in the first place is to have a backup season if I get skunked during normal firearms season. I can see getting fancy if you're into going hunting with a ML, but for my purposes a CVA from Walmart is accurate enough and really all I need.
View Quote
Walmart doesn't sale them here. Yet CVA for the price that I have researched is up there with T/C yet they recommend you use their bullets. I have looked into getting into bow hunting yet would have to use a crossbow cause I royally screwed up my arm yet now it seems all have some sort of crank system on them. Yet the price for a good one I can find a few guns I want that do not have for the same price.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:24:16 AM EDT
[#9]
$600 is a LOT of money to spend on a non-historic ML.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:48:31 AM EDT
[#10]
CVA Optima is an excellent black powder rifle.  I got one three years ago and have enjoyed using it during deer season.  The trigger is very good in them.  I was able to get a stainless steel version with scope mount and a few cleaning supplies online for under $300.  I put a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 scope on it and it is good to go.  I have about $350 total in all with scope price.
It shoots around a 2" group at 100 yds.  Only thing I would change is get a little better optic next time I will do,
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
 Only thing I would change is get a little better optic next time I will do,
View Quote
I highly recommend the Nikon Inline XR 3-9x40.  It has the circle BDCs which some people hate, but I mostly ignore it.  The nice thing is it has about 5" of eye relief and decent glass at twilight.  I got my last one for $110 from Amazon, but they're normally about $200.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top