Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 8:17:53 AM EDT
My windows xp disk cleanup program sucks, it doesn't even work. What's a good program for cleanup/defrag? Free would be nice, I'd spend a few dollars if I needed to.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#1]
fdisk
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My windows xp disk cleanup program sucks, it doesn't even work. What's a good program for cleanup/defrag? Free would be nice, I'd spend a few dollars if I needed to.

If it don't work you got bigger problems.  What's the problem with it?

Shok
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it don't work you got bigger problems.  What's the problem with it?

Shok

No, I don't have bigger problems. It compresses old data, finds the amount of files that can be cleaned up, and then stalls in the clean up process. It's a known XP issue if you let the initial clean up go for too long that no one seems to care to fix.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Crap Cleaner!  Well, it's officially "CCleaner" now.

I love this thing.  Cleans the computer, works on 98 through XP, fixes other problems...

Jim

p.s.--CCleaner is in my standard collection of system utilities with AdAware, SpyBot, and a handful of antivirus programs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Try the clean-up in 'SAFE MODE' (F5 on boot up)

Worked for me on an old 'puter I almost gave up on.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:43:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Ad-aware.

Get it from Downloads.com. Its a share ware. They are only for cleanups tho. Does'nt MacAffe have trial wares anymore?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#7]
xblock scroll down and click download

webroot   Window washer

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Crap Cleaner!  Well, it's officially "CCleaner" now.

I love this thing.  Cleans the computer, works on 98 through XP, fixes other problems...

Jim

p.s.--CCleaner is in my standard collection of system utilities with AdAware, SpyBot, and a handful of antivirus programs.

That is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
tinypic.com/e9td2r.jpg

Wow, you did all that work with the screen shot and the image hosting and everything, but couldn't bother to read the first post and process the information.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:53:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
tinypic.com/e9td2r.jpg

Quoted:
My windows xp disk cleanup program sucks, it doesn't even work...It compresses old data, finds the amount of files that can be cleaned up, and then stalls in the clean up process. It's a known XP issue if you let the initial clean up go for too long that no one seems to care to fix.

Reading comprehension is a 'D', but 556_Chowder does play well with others!

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't compress the old files. It makes it slower for windows to access them in the future.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#15]
A big heavy and powerful magnent.

Works every time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Don't compress the old files. It makes it slower for windows to access them in the future.

I agree, another reason why I don't like the windows clean up, besides the fact that mine doesn't work, is that you can't choose not to compress the old files.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
A big heavy and powerful magnent magnet.

Works every time.

You first.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
fdisk

+1. Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, another reason why I don't like the windows clean up, besides the fact that mine doesn't work, is that you can't choose not to compress the old files.

I think you 2 are cross talking the subject.

File compression and defragging files are not the same thing. The concepts are easily confused because people tend to intermix terms.

Defrag orders files so the parts of a file occupy a continuous space on the hard drive instead of having the file chopped up it to little chunks spread all around the hard drive.

File compression takes a file and reduces/shrinks its size. It takes more overhead to access compressed files. To compress files in Windows you have to turn on file compression.

Try running defrag in safe mode if that don't work you will need a third party defrag program or a clean install with format.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure you can.  When you first click on "Clean Up" in WinXP Pro, it scans the disk to see what all it can do.

Then it presents you with a screen and gives you a list of options, including "Compress old files".  On my work machine, it tells me that I can compress old files and save about 3 megabytes.  (Whoopee!)  But you can select or not select that box, it isn't required.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Try the clean-up in 'SAFE MODE' (F5 on boot up)

Worked for me on an old 'puter I almost gave up on.

Good luck!

BIG +1

Don't bother trying to fix a computer outside SAFE MODE if you don't have too.

There is so much extra crap (viruses, spyware, ect.) running as soon as you start Windows that you can't turn off, and you can't delete programs (viruses, etc.) while they are running.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A big heavy and powerful magnent magnet.

Works every time.

You first.

If the darn spell check worked!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top